E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakness sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where the sensor is that activates the "auto" lights. I'm stuck with low power DRL in Canada, and figure if I cover that sensor, I'll get full time xenon, and not have to worry about turning the lights on/off all the time. unlike the US I can't change DRL settings etc 9at least not on my 04.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

behind the rear view mirror under the winshield (mounting post)
Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Hmm..

BMW can adjust it, so it will get more sensitive, and thereby turn your xenon's on before it's very dark.

If you cover the light sensor, you'll most likely cover the rain sensor as well, and it will "think" that is raining all the time.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

For some reason.. this post reminded me of Chappelle show.. Charlie Murphy... Darkness brothers...Darkness is spreading!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='901767' date='Jun 5 2009, 07:25 PM
BMW can adjust it, so it will get more sensitive, and thereby turn your xenon's on before it's very dark.
I think it's too sensitive, in tunnels and even under some bridges the Xenons turn on.

The Xenons wears more of the switch on than normal use.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='901844' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:13 PM
I think it's too sensitive, in tunnels and even under some bridges the Xenons turn on.

The Xenons wears more of the switch on than normal use.
I think in some countries there are actually laws that require driving lights to be turned on in the tunnels.

If it is too sensitive for you then have you already got it adjusted by BMW or is it still too sensitive after the adjustment?

I am happy with my sensitivity level, just the default factory level and I haven't seen any problems but sure they turn on in the tunnels and garages but it doesn't matter. Actually it is pretty cool that car senses the level of the light (or raining).
Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='901851' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:34 PM
I think in some countries there are actually laws that require driving lights to be turned on in the tunnels.

If it is too sensitive for you then have you already got it adjusted by BMW or is it still too sensitive after the adjustment?

I am happy with my sensitivity level, just the default factory level and I haven't seen any problems but sure they turn on in the tunnels and garages but it doesn't matter. Actually it is pretty cool that car senses the level of the light (or raining).
My car hasn't been at the first service yet (delivered in 2/08).
No oil consumption either according to the iDrive (at 10 k km)

If you use the windshield wipers the Xenons are on at once.

The car has more intelligence than I like.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Contributors

Think I may have solved it. Popped the over off around the rearview mirror, and unplugged the sensor, xenons stayed on when i pulled out of garage, and the rain sensor till seems to work (prayed windex on it, and the wipers fired up.) Want to test it in full daylight just to make sure, it was near dusk. So far though looks good!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='901876' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:12 PM
My car hasn't been at the first service yet (delivered in 2/08).
No oil consumption either according to the iDrive (at 10 k km)

If you use the windshield wipers the Xenons are on at once.

The car has more intelligence than I like.
What a co-incidence, I have 10k km also but my delivery was 1/09.

I am opposite of you regarding the intelligence, I like the car more because it has so much intelligence.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior Members

DARKNESS BROTHERS

Dakness sensor-eddie_charlie_murphy_400a050907.jpg

Quick Reply: Dakness sensor