E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D S C

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, i'd like to talk to you about our nanny and how it is suppose to protect us. Yeah right, i've seen it going on and flashing like crazy when too agressive with the accelerator, i've seen it cutting power, and a few times really helping a bit when i was indeed caught unprepared. BUT before someone jumps to say "don't be an idiot get winter tires" i'd like to say that i know the rules of going winters when temperature goes below 7 degrees Celsius regardless of the other factors (sun, rain, snow). There are a few factors that kept me from not buying a set of winters (1. would be that i couldn't find the sizes i wanted for 18", 2nd will nto buy a future 3rd set of rims ).

Anyway back to the topic. As the weather got chilled, and we even had a few snowflakes, on teperature varying from -2 to 3 degrees, i found that DSC is absent especially when the car is starting to understeer because of the slightly much speed when attacking a corner ( and i'm not talking about tight corners, rather wide ones with lots of space, which gives you that level of security, and that makes it even worse) and because of the poor road conditions, aka some kind of moisture, hardly visible, dark moisture on the road. I found not just once that i had to correct with more steering angle, but guess what car kept understeering regardless of how much steering angle but rather till it found itself again the traction needed to make the turn. AND all this time the DSC didn't even react. I mean what's that? Wasn't it suppose to react to the chaos?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='372926' date='Jan 2 2007, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, i'd like to talk to you about our nanny and how it is suppose to protect us. Yeah right, i've seen it going on and flashing like crazy when too agressive with the accelerator, i've seen it cutting power, and a few times really helping a bit when i was indeed caught unprepared. BUT before someone jumps to say "don't be an idiot get winter tires" i'd like to say that i know the rules of going winters when temperature goes below 7 degrees Celsius regardless of the other factors (sun, rain, snow). There are a few factors that kept me from not buying a set of winters (1. would be that i couldn't find the sizes i wanted for 18", 2nd will nto buy a future 3rd set of rims ).

Anyway back to the topic. As the weather got chilled, and we even had a few snowflakes, on teperature varying from -2 to 3 degrees, i found that DSC is absent especially when the car is starting to understeer because of the slightly much speed when attacking a corner ( and i'm not talking about tight corners, rather wide ones with lots of space, which gives you that level of security, and that makes it even worse) and because of the poor road conditions, aka some kind of moisture, hardly visible, dark moisture on the road. I found not just once that i had to correct with more steering angle, but guess what car kept understeering regardless of how much steering angle but rather till it found itself again the traction needed to make the turn. AND all this time the DSC didn't even react. I mean what's that? Wasn't it suppose to react to the chaos?
Hey, what you doin tooling around when you're supposed to be studying for your MBA?

I have also found the understeer quite pronounced on damp roads.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

in my experience whenever the DSC kicks in, your leg is on the fuel pedal(even if very slightly), so if understeer/oversteer occur when your accelerating DSC will react imediately.. but when your just cornering without any pedals, brake or fuel, many of the times the DSC doesnt do anything, even with this DSC if your leg is fully down in dry roads all you have to do is point the front wheels the computers will do the rest,, keep in mind that the computers wont be very conforting, or calm...there reaction is sudden, and scary at times. but at least they tell you something is wrong and they try to correct it...