E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Current MB owner, looking to buy new car.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i've owned my '01 Benz E430 4matic for over a year now and i'm already tired of it. I want something brand new, and it has to have good ass power. So far, i've test drove the new Acura RL, very nice car, not feeling the exterior looks, but the interior is gorgeous. The car has 300hp, but it lacks the torque that a V8 offers and the car just feels very sluggish. Car is awd fully loaded for $50,000. Now i'm kinda shying away from that car, mainly because of its lack of oomph. Now, waited forever for the new Lexus GS to come out, and after it finally arrived at the dealer, i took a look and i'm not impressed with the interior at all. I mean, it's nice, but it's not that nice and it is also lacking in power. I am still gonna take the car for a drive, and the lexus reliablilty is something that is really on a plus list. Right now though, it's in the #1 position on my list. Forget about the new E320 benz, i just don't like the car at all.

Now, i've seriously been considering the bmw 545i with its stout hp numbers. I don't see how soo many people think the car is butt ugly, i think its hot as hell. The interior is a little blah like the lexus GS, but still nice. Now a few questions.... I live in Jersey, and always said i wouldn't buy another rwd car because of the snow, but when i think about it, i really don't even drive that much in the snow, at least i haven't this year at all in the benz. Has NE1 faired ok in the snow with this car, i'm no newbie to rwd fast cars, as i've been driving 500hp mustangs since i was 18 in the snow and they go alright, hehe. My biggest concerns with this car is the bad conditions driving and how the Navigation system is. Can the I-drive really be that bad???? Please, owners of this car comment on your experience with the car and if i should wait another year or something. I really want the sport package but have been hearing very bad things about the variable steering. Thanks

Jim
Old 02-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I have the sport package, but for the winter I traded my 18" 275R/245F tires for 17" 225s with a higher profile. I got Dunlop WinterSport M3 tires. It goes fine in the snow, and Chicago had a relatively heavy snow year. The only issue was my belly scraping on the piled up snow and ice in my alley, because my ground clearance was lower than just about anybody around (with all the idiot SUV drivers). I'm told without the snows the car would have been a disaster. It does lose some dry pavement grip with the snows, but I'll put them back on in April. So snow's no issue in my book. A few days where I had to pay a little bit of attention, no more.

It's a great car. I love the way the car squats to low to the ground when you look at it from the front quarter angle. I like the clean interior. Sweet sweet V8.

I only wish I could have a 550 now!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully loaded Dinan Tuned E60 545i Sports Sedan, featuring Dinan high flow intake system, Dinan free flow exhaust, Dinan high flow throttle body, Dinan Stage 3 Performance Engine Management Software, Dinan camber plates, Dinan carbon fiber strut tower brace, Dinan 19" lightweight forged wheelset, Dinan/Brembo GT big brake system, Dinan Polished Aluminum Pedal Kit, BMW "M" footrest, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT's, OEM rear deck spoiler, OEM sun/wind deflector, OEM illuminated BMW door sills, debadged (official "Dinan 5 badging"/emblem earned).
Cool

Hey there Jim!

I currently drive an May 04' build 545i SE (fully loaded). Personally, this is the finest car I've ever owned. Truly world-class. You name it, the 545i delivers in all respects. Overall performance, power, luxury, comfort, safety, even styling, IMHO, are topnotch.

Again, there's tons of other cars faster, more powerful, chic, etc. However, the 545i delivers that "balanced" equation few can match. Equip the car with the sport package and you can't go wrong, believe me. Handling is sure, crisp, with virtually no body roll on the twisties, while the V8 power is smooth, with a solid progressive powerband throughout its RPM range. It's amazing how easy, smooth and effortless it is to hit 100!! I had 5 in the car that day and it was so quiet at this speed and yes, so very refined indeed.

Active steering, like the I-Drive, takes a bit of getting use to. However, once mastered (which doesn't take long actually), the benefits are real world and definitely rewarding. I got my car loaded with the Logic 7 sound system and what can I say. Every drive is like heaven on earth. You definitely owe it to yourself to test drive a fully loaded 545i before committing to anything.

Being that I live here in CA, I can't comment on the car's usability over in your neck of the woods. Sure itt's a personal choice of course and with all the fine competition out there, may boil down to this aspect alone. However, this is one definitely pleased and happy 545i owner.

Best of luck to you and happy motoring!!

GOLD PANDA

Originally Posted by Little' date='Feb 23 2005, 05:01 PM
So i've owned my '01 Benz E430 4matic for over a year now and i'm already tired of it.? I want something brand new, and it has to have good ass power.? So far, i've test drove the new Acura RL, very nice car, not feeling the exterior looks, but the interior is gorgeous.? The car has 300hp, but it lacks the torque that a V8 offers and the car just feels very sluggish.? Car is awd fully loaded for $50,000.? Now i'm kinda shying away from that car, mainly because of its lack of oomph.? Now, waited forever for the new Lexus GS to come out, and after it finally arrived at the dealer, i took a look and i'm not impressed with the interior at all.? I mean, it's nice, but it's not that nice and it is also lacking in power.? I am still gonna take the car for a drive, and the lexus reliablilty is something that is really on a plus list.? Right now though, it's in the #1 position on my list.? Forget about the new E320? benz, i just don't like the car at all.?

Now, i've seriously been considering the bmw 545i with its stout hp numbers.? I don't see how soo many people think the car is butt ugly, i think its hot as hell.? The interior is a little blah like the lexus GS, but still nice.? Now a few questions....? I live in Jersey, and always said i wouldn't buy another rwd car because of the snow, but when i think about it, i really don't even drive that much in the snow, at least i haven't this year at all in the benz.? Has NE1 faired ok in the snow with this car, i'm no newbie to rwd fast cars, as i've been driving 500hp mustangs since i was 18 in the snow and they go alright, hehe.? My biggest concerns with this car is the bad conditions driving and how the Navigation system is.? Can the I-drive really be that bad????? Please, owners of this car comment on your experience with the car and if i should wait another year or something.? I really want the sport package but have been hearing very bad things about the variable steering.? Thanks

Jim
[snapback]93675[/snapback]
Old 02-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by GOLD PANDA' date='Feb 23 2005, 05:39 PM
Hey there Jim!

I currently drive an May 04' build 545i SE (fully loaded).? Personally, this is the finest car I've ever owned.? Truly world-class.? You name it, the 545i delivers in all respects.? Overall performance, power, luxury, comfort, safety, even styling, IMHO, are topnotch.?

Again, there's tons of other cars faster, more powerful, chic, etc.? However, the 545i delivers that "balanced" equation few can match.? Equip the car with the sport package and you can't go wrong, believe me.? Handling is sure, crisp, with virtually no body roll on the twisties, while the V8 power is smooth, with a solid progressive powerband throughout its RPM range.? It's amazing how easy, smooth and effortless it is to hit 100!!? I had 5 in the car that day and it was so quiet at this speed and yes, so very refined indeed.

Active steering, like the I-Drive, takes a bit of getting use to.? However, once mastered (which doesn't take long actually), the benefits are real world and definitely rewarding.? I got my car loaded with the Logic 7 sound system and what can I say.? Every drive is like heaven on earth.? ? You definitely owe it to yourself to test drive a fully loaded 545i before committing to anything.

Being that I live here in CA, I can't comment on the car's usability over in your neck of the woods.? Sure itt's a personal choice of course and with all the fine competition out there, may boil down to this aspect alone.? However, this is one definitely pleased and happy 545i owner.?

Best of luck to you and happy motoring!!

GOLD PANDA

[quote name='Little' date='Feb 23 2005, 05:01 PM']So i've owned my '01 Benz E430 4matic for over a year now and i'm already tired of it.? I want something brand new, and it has to have good ass power.? So far, i've test drove the new Acura RL, very nice car, not feeling the exterior looks, but the interior is gorgeous.? The car has 300hp, but it lacks the torque that a V8 offers and the car just feels very sluggish.? Car is awd fully loaded for $50,000.? Now i'm kinda shying away from that car, mainly because of its lack of oomph.? Now, waited forever for the new Lexus GS to come out, and after it finally arrived at the dealer, i took a look and i'm not impressed with the interior at all.? I mean, it's nice, but it's not that nice and it is also lacking in power.? I am still gonna take the car for a drive, and the lexus reliablilty is something that is really on a plus list.? Right now though, it's in the #1 position on my list.? Forget about the new E320? benz, i just don't like the car at all.?

Now, i've seriously been considering the bmw 545i with its stout hp numbers.? I don't see how soo many people think the car is butt ugly, i think its hot as hell.? The interior is a little blah like the lexus GS, but still nice.? Now a few questions....? I live in Jersey, and always said i wouldn't buy another rwd car because of the snow, but when i think about it, i really don't even drive that much in the snow, at least i haven't this year at all in the benz.? Has NE1 faired ok in the snow with this car, i'm no newbie to rwd fast cars, as i've been driving 500hp mustangs since i was 18 in the snow and they go alright, hehe.? My biggest concerns with this car is the bad conditions driving and how the Navigation system is.? Can the I-drive really be that bad?????? Please, owners of this car comment on your experience with the car and if i should wait another year or something.? I really want the sport package but have been hearing very bad things about the variable steering.? Thanks

Jim
[snapback]93675[/snapback]
[snapback]93684[/snapback]
[/quote]

Welcome aboard Gold Panda and Little.

I too got the 17" Dunlop snows and not had one bit of trouble this past winter. If you drive with some common sense, there should be no issue driving in adverse winter conditions.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

The 545 is one unbelievable car. Best handling sedan you can buy until the M5 comes out IMO.

Definitely get the sports package, and definitely get snow tires for the winter. You CANNOT drive with the SP summer tires in the snow. If you have some extra money, try trading up to 19" wheels and tires - the handling is like a go-kart. I use my OEM wheels with A/S tires for winter since it doesn't snow much here in Cincinnati.

You should also test drive the M45 with sports package (19" wheels). Very, very nice car. The closest to my 545 I've driven. Much better than the RL or Lexus.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributors

welcome Little

you wont regret the 5 series and you can learn alot of useful info here... first off, since you say you love power and are not in a rush, you should consider the upcoming 550i, which will have ~360bhp and be available in the fall sometime... there are many members here that have the current 545i and drive in Germany for example daily, much more snow, they say the car performs perfect, the only requisite are snow tires.... NAV is voice command and HUD is optional where important car info as well as NAV maps are displayed on the windshield (very cool and useful)... iDrive hype is bs, if you can use a pc, and can read message boards you will be fine with it, the only problem is people who do not have any pc knowledge and even they love it after they use it for a week... Active steering is a hot topic that you can do a search on and get the pros and cons on , there are hot discussions that will help you... keep in mind that the MY 06 cars will have this as a stand alone option, it is no longer included in the sports package.... good luck
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 10 535ix Graphite/Oyster, sport pkg, steptronic, nav, cold weather, prem I &II, conv pkg 08 535ix Saph Blk/Blk,sport pkg, steptronic, nav, sat, cold weather 07 X3 Blk Saph/Blk, prem,cold weather, xenon, nav 05 545i Orient Blu/Blk, anthracite, prem, sport, stptronic, nav, sat, comfort seats, cold weather, prem sound. 02 540it Grn/Grey, premium,sport pkg, cold weather, premium sound 99 528it Cashmere/beige, premium, cold weather

I too live in Nj and have had the ...pleasure of driving in th esnow in my new 545i/sport pkg w/ RF tires. This car is better than my last 540it in the snow even without all seasons. Perhaps next winter I will put some snows on it. When you really think about it, how many snow days are there? This winter has shown roughly 2-3 days of snow accumulation, one of which was a state of emergency when you didnt want to and werent supposed to be on the roads anyaway (you might want to talk to me again after Friday as I hear we are going to get hit with some snow again). The idrive sometimes adds a few extra steps to a task and i sometimes wonder why BMW so over-engineers some things and is also yet so counter-intuitive on other things, but the placement of control right where your hand rests on the console far outweighs the few extra steps. The variable steering takes some getting used to but will quickly become your friend. Overall, Id say that the car is a bit more refined than my 02 540 (for better or worse) but I'd say that you wont be disappointed in teh long run. In nay event, you [must] go test drive one. Good luck in your decision.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Drive one and then buy one. That's all you need to know...

On a more serious note, I think you'll see we all love our cars quite a lot. One thing you have to understand (and coming from M-B you probably already know this) is that the Germans don't do the gadgets as well as the Japanese. You said the Lexus was ranking high on your short list due to reliability. If that's truly important to you, you may be frustrated with some of the (minor) glitches in the 5-series.

I think I speak for many of us here when I say that we are happy to deal with a few minor glitches as long as the car drives as well as it does. There's no doubt that mechanically, the Germans have it sorted out and BMW has the motors, drivetrains, and suspension systems figured out better than anyone else.

iDrive is just fine but you need to use it for a few days to "get it." As far as the snow, the car is fine as long as you use some snow tires. It certainly won't be as good as your 4-matic was but for a rwd car, it's balanced quite nicely and it performs well for the type of weather you get in Jersey...

Welcome, good luck, and keep us posted on your decision!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Members

Great posts, appreciate the info. Yea i just got back from the dealer by me tonite and checked them out. Very nice in person. Few things i noticed that were a little stupid and which they coulda did much better, one being the cupholders, terrible. I thought this car was supposed to be pretty comfortable in the back, maybe it's cause i'm 6'0", but it's pretty tight back there. But all in all, if the cars performance and looks pull off in a test drive, the minor glitches won't really matter, i'll deal with them. Now i wanna drive one even more, hehe
Old 02-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

Originally Posted by Little' date='Feb 23 2005, 09:50 PM
Great posts, appreciate the info.? Yea i just got back from the dealer by me tonite and checked them out.? Very nice in person.? Few things i noticed that were a little stupid and which they coulda did much better, one being the cupholders, terrible.? I thought this car was supposed to be pretty comfortable in the back, maybe it's cause i'm 6'0", but it's pretty tight back there.? But all in all, if the cars performance and looks pull off in a test drive,? the minor glitches won't really matter, i'll deal with them.? Now i wanna drive one even more, hehe
[snapback]93761[/snapback]
I switched from a CLK 430 Cabriolet to a 330 cic, then to an M3 Convertible. IMHO, in general, the MB interiors are nicer; fit, finish, materials, lines superior to BMW. I am a former Porsche owner, and the MB just lacked something. Buy a BMW because you love the way it drives; if you don't feel it, then maybe it is not the right car for you. What I especially love about BMWs is that even after a 6 or 7 hour drive, I feel great; the ergonomics are incredible.

I am picking up a 545 ED in a couple of months. Initially, the design, both interior and exterior did not thrill me; but for some reason, this car has totally grown on me...the more I looked at it and the more I drove it, the more I wanted one. Would I like better cupholders? Sure. But do I really care? No. I just can't wait to drive mine.

Quick Reply: Current MB owner, looking to buy new car.....