E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

cross winds and active steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was pretty windy yesterday and today in Boston, so driving to work on i95 north i noticed smth very strange. When the wind moves the car the steering seems to compensate for it. But it's not acurate and feels very weird.

It felt like my wheels were loose. I stopped and checked the bolts with the toruqe wrench - perfect 88. so ichecked preassures 35 on warm tires - OK.

I kept on going and experimented with speeds. It seemed to be less noticable at higher speeds (more downforce, less sensitive steering), but as soon as I drop to 55-60mph, it's all over the place

I turned the DSC and DTC off completely - it seemed to cure the situation a bit but still smth was left.

Drove M3 today with simialr winds - no problem, occasially you get blown with high gusts but with normal steering it's easy to compensate.

Has anybody else experienced this? Does Active steering really interfere this much?
car is 05 545 so the software is the latest 15.x

I kind of got used to active steering in normal conditions but it steel suprises me in snow, ice, water and now Winds... bummer
Old 03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by Ilyam5' date='Mar 4 2005, 04:11 PM
Was pretty windy yesterday and today in Boston, so driving to work on i95 north i noticed smth very strange. When the wind moves the car the steering seems to compensate for it. But it's not acurate and feels very weird.

It felt like my wheels were loose. I stopped and checked the bolts with the toruqe wrench - perfect 88. so ichecked preassures 35 on warm tires - OK.

I kept on going and experimented with speeds. It seemed to be less noticable at higher speeds (more downforce, less sensitive steering), but as soon as I drop to 55-60mph, it's all over the place

I turned the DSC and DTC off completely - it seemed to cure the situation a bit but still smth was left.

Drove M3 today with simialr winds - no problem, occasially you get blown with high gusts but with normal steering it's easy to compensate.

Has anybody else experienced this? Does Active steering really interfere this much?

I kind of got used to active steering in normal conditions but it steel suprises me in snow, ice, water and now Winds... bummer
[snapback]97255[/snapback]

I experienced this, until BMWNA replaced the Dunlop RFT tires with Bridgestone RFT tires. Problem solved. Are you running with the Dunlop RFT tires?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Contributors

I experience the same thing. And, I do believe that the tire setup makes a difference. Mine's more pronounced now with my new Eagle GSD3s than with the Dunlop RFs. I would "think" that the amount of correction is defined in the software and how the car reacts will vary based on roads, wind changes, tires, suspension, etc. So, some under and overcorrection would be normal.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I also thik it is the Dunlop RF's. i experienced similar things in wind and at high (90 mph+) speeds. i have winter wheels and tires on now (Michelin) and have not experienced the feeling at all.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Members

JohnW - do you have wheel 124 with Eagle GSD3s? I was thinking about replacing my RFT with Eagle GSD3s after I put some more miles into Dunlop RFT. Does Eagle GSD3s make the car wonder all over the road?

Originally Posted by John W' date='Mar 4 2005, 02:43 PM
I experience the same thing.? And, I do believe that the tire setup makes a difference.? Mine's more pronounced now with my new Eagle GSD3s than with the Dunlop RFs.? I would "think" that the amount of correction is defined in the software and how the car reacts will vary based on roads, wind changes, tires, suspension, etc.? So, some under and overcorrection would be normal.
[snapback]97272[/snapback]
Old 03-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Ilyam5' date='Mar 4 2005, 03:11 PM

[snapback]97255[/snapback]
Yes mine is the same - Not wanting to open a can of worms here but IMHO its the downside to active steering together with lack of feel at speed. I have decided to do the arm twirling thing on my next 5 and not spec it!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Contributors

I'm on the stock staggered 124 setup with the GSD3s. It doesn't wander, but it is twitchier. The tires are a whole lot quieter and more comfortable, but the car twitches more with AS corrections and when crossing large pavement flaws. But, it doesn't really tramline and is very stable on good surfaces.

I may try something else next time - I'm not as much in love with these as I was with them on the E39 540.

Originally Posted by katmai' date='Mar 4 2005, 05:05 PM
JohnW - do you have wheel 124 with Eagle GSD3s?? I was thinking about replacing my RFT with Eagle GSD3s after I put some more miles into Dunlop RFT.? Does Eagle GSD3s make the car wonder all over the road?

[quote name='John W' date='Mar 4 2005, 02:43 PM']I experience the same thing.? And, I do believe that the tire setup makes a difference.? Mine's more pronounced now with my new Eagle GSD3s than with the Dunlop RFs.? I would "think" that the amount of correction is defined in the software and how the car reacts will vary based on roads, wind changes, tires, suspension, etc.? So, some under and overcorrection would be normal.
[snapback]97272[/snapback]
[snapback]97337[/snapback]
[/quote]