E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creeking Dashboard!!! WTF

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010 | 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I actually started noticing creaks today
Old 10-27-2010 | 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by tex_phil
One of those things that was most likely always there but until someone tells you about it you would not notice it for quite a while.
Old 10-27-2010 | 08:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

I have a 2004 545i 90k miles and no creaking. For those that may have taken apart your interior and re assembled it think back and make sure you replace all the little paper like strips that keep the creaking from occurring. if you pin point the creak and its absolutely driving you nuts then but a roll of the stuff and apply where the edges meet. This may help
Old 10-27-2010 | 08:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

My rear seat center console cupholder creaks pretty bad after I got interior detailed. I tried to wipe off the shiny residues but the noise won't go away. Any recommendations guys? Won't be getting interior detailed again. Will clean it myself from now on.. damnit.
Old 10-28-2010 | 12:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by jgt
All sorts of things creak in my E60.
Seats, something on the rear deck, the dash on occasion. Not to mention the trim paint peeling, door window console peeling, etc. Considered normal wear and tear...
BMW interiors are seriously lacking compared to the competition... :thumbsdown:
Maybe they need a lesson on how to make a seriously quiet cabin from Lexus...
they have - have you seen the F10?

Originally Posted by JeRZee XiE60
Anyone know what it could be? I have the same issue.
You should check your stashbox - probably some stuff is just getting thrown around

Originally Posted by kreveta
Fast clicking sound from the head-up display area here, and various squeaks behind the rear seats somewhere in the area of rear head airbags and rear speakers.

My 11 years old Mazda had zero of these issues.

BMW is overhyped. Let's be honest here. The interior has some pretty high quality materials compared to other automakers, but it's still crap as a whole.
you're entitled to your opinion, of course, but "overhyped"? lol if you are buying a car for the interior, I guess BMW isn't the first choice. But I've driven plenty of Mazdas (along with Hondas, Toyotas, Infinitis, Lexus, etc etc), and my E60's interior is the best of the ones I've driven for sure.

I do get an occasional sound from varying places, but I consider it the "cost of doing business". And my baby sure know how to do that business

Originally Posted by tex_phil
Self-fulfilling prophecy, Phil - just convince yourself its not there and it'll go away

BTW I know that there's some kind of a treatment for the rubber door sills that dealers can do to minimize unwanted sounds. I'm sure there has to be something about it on the forum...
Old 10-28-2010 | 05:18 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by healthservices
One of those things that was most likely always there but until someone tells you about it you would not notice it for quite a while.
+1000
i couldn't have said it better myself. the creaking issues ARE there. you've probably never noticed them since you've learned to tune it out.

its just like the sound system in the E60. for some its not a problem and works just fine and for others like me its pure fucking garbage and im definitely not an audiophile.
Old 10-28-2010 | 05:21 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by v_therussian
they have - have you seen the F10?
i test drove a 550i a few months ago. VAST improvement on the interior sound dampening, materials and fitment.
not to mention the 550i hauls ass!.
Old 10-28-2010 | 06:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
For Lexus
Here's my old baby
Attachment 113101
Go buy it back then and die of boredom from driving it .

Originally Posted by kreveta
Fast clicking sound from the head-up display area here, and various squeaks behind the rear seats somewhere in the area of rear head airbags and rear speakers.

My 11 years old Mazda had zero of these issues.

BMW is overhyped. Let's be honest here. The interior has some pretty high quality materials compared to other automakers, but it's still crap as a whole.
Yes and it was a 11 year old mazda. I had one, not really the best place to be in.

I really don't get people that have a go at BMW on a BMW forum while owning a BMW and say their 'x' previous car was better. You either appreciate the car for what is it and was it offers or bloody sell it and buy a Mazda, Lexus or whatever else you compare it to. Simple!
Old 10-28-2010 | 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport

Creaking from centre console and HUD here too. No fix from dealer.

And my iphone holster beats any and every other creak from the car. What a piece of crap.

Whilst at the dealer I pushed the plastic in most of the cars inc F10 and M3 especially around the console area. They all made similar creaks to my E60.

I would be interested to know if this translates into "on the move" creaks.

Any F10 owners with creaks btw?
Old 10-28-2010 | 09:37 PM
Members

My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

Originally Posted by aresh
For the dashboard creek, open up your hood and retighten the strut bar bolts. That is the noise you are hearing when going over small bumps or imperfections. Had this problem and others as well. Worked everytime.

Edit: the bars are the ones going across the top. I believe the bolts are star shaped. Not hundred percent sure but you may have to remove the plastic pieces to get to the top bolts.
Do be careful doing this. The dealer over-torqued my bolts on the strut bar attempting to remove the creaking when I took steep driveways at an angle (creating body flex) and they ended up having to replace the bolts and the bolt carriers.

I've also experienced the kind of sound a donkey might make when excited, coming from the front struts. They replaced the top strut mounts (a flashlight and close up view showed them to be cracked already even though my car only had 30k on it).

Quick Reply: Creeking Dashboard!!! WTF