E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking sound when slowing to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Hey everyone,

I noticed that my car makes a small creak sound (kind of like the noise houses during weather changes) about 50% of the time when I am coming to a stop or when the car kind of "settles" when you stop. It's really strange because I can't figure out when it does it, sometimes it happens when I'm going slow/stopping slow and going fast/stopping fast and everywhere in between. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

My current guess is it has to do with the suspension somehow and seems to be coming more from the back but I have never heard this sound before in any car I've driven. The car rides and handles perfectly fine though but when I was down at RPI, Eloy said my car seems lower than the normal stock sport suspension and the driver side sits a little higher than the passenger.

Just curious if these things are normal or if I should get my shocks checked out. I know they aren't blown though so I'm stumped. Also to my knowledge my suspension setup is all stock sport, no springs or anything of that nature.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TakmaN' post='1034191' date='Oct 16 2009, 04:17 PM
Hey everyone,

I noticed that my car makes a small creak sound (kind of like the noise houses during weather changes) about 50% of the time when I am coming to a stop or when the car kind of "settles" when you stop. It's really strange because I can't figure out when it does it, sometimes it happens when I'm going slow/stopping slow and going fast/stopping fast and everywhere in between. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

My current guess is it has to do with the suspension somehow and seems to be coming more from the back but I have never heard this sound before in any car I've driven. The car rides and handles perfectly fine though but when I was down at RPI, Eloy said my car seems lower than the normal stock sport suspension and the driver side sits a little higher than the passenger.

Just curious if these things are normal or if I should get my shocks checked out. I know they aren't blown though so I'm stumped. Also to my knowledge my suspension setup is all stock sport, no springs or anything of that nature.
I would assume it's the door seals. VERY common problem among the e60s. Easy way to test it - Roll down the window(s) just a hair - and that will probably stop the sounds.

Doing a search for Door Seals should give tons of information on it, fixes for it, etc. The dealer can replace seals, and install some silicone strips which may help, but from my experience, the problem never truly goes away. Simply clean the seals and the area on the frame where they contact, and that will stop the noise for a while.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Awesome thanks! I'll test it out asap and if that is the problem that would be a relief. I just didn't want to have it culminate into a big problem or have to replace some big parts (i.e. suspension components).

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Contributors

if your vehicle is still under warranty the dealership will replace your seals and install some teflon tape.
it's a known defect and there was a service bulletin for it a while back. there are a ton of threads regarding the squeaky door seals if you search for it. Good luck
Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Not sure if this is applicable to E60's, but when I would change suspension setups in my Honda, if the springs were not installed on the right perch with the shocks, it created noises and left the car sitting slightly uneven. If your car's suspension was changed before, this MIGHT be something to look into as well.

Either way I hope its nothing major.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributors

door seals. teflon. the problem. the answer.

can you believe my dealer didnt believe me and wouldnt fix it. i am putting the sales manager in the car by force next time and make him listen. my car is at a point where it barely starts, and when it does my steering column doesnt work. this car is going BACK to the shop again once and for all... or once and for until a few weeks when something else breaks.

/hijack