E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking from rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At slow speed if I enter a driveway which is sloped at an angle causing the chassis to flex a little there is a moaning/groaning/creaking noise from the rear of the car.

I have lubricated the door and trunk rubber seals but no change.

Could it be the parcel shelf or something else?

TIA

Streak
Old 04-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by streak' date='Apr 6 2005, 08:38 AM
At slow speed if I enter a driveway which is sloped at an angle causing the chassis to flex a little there is a moaning/groaning/creaking noise from the rear of the car.

I have lubricated the door and trunk rubber seals but no change.

Could it be the parcel shelf or something else?

TIA

Streak
[snapback]111902[/snapback]
Streak,

Only had the suspension squeaks over speed bumps and standard door groaning on last car. Not noticed anything on new car except suspension when cold. I think the door seals on new on are different.

Merv
Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Members

Streak,
I have exactly the same creaking ( metallic sound ). also occurs over uneven road surfaces. Do you have sports suspension?
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525i, Premium Package, Cold package.

I have the suspension squeak when I go over speed bumps in my 04 525i and after keeping the car for 4 days, the dealer told me it was common in all the 5 series!!!!!! Is it me or does it seem when the dealer has no resolution, they just say "it is common in all the cars".
Old 04-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have creaking noises from the rear of the car when going over bumpy roads. I believe it is due to the parcel shelf. Not sure what fixes are available for this though. I've started to hear creaking noises from the doors too, so going to have to take it into the dealer when getting the oil service done in 2800 miles time.

So hopefully get more information from everyone here to pass to my dealer by then.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

I have the front suspension crunch when going over speed bumps at slow speed when cold.
What I was refering to above is groaning and creaking coming from the rear when the chassis flexes eg. when the rear wheels are on flat ground and the front about to go up a steep driveway, almost sounds like non existent mud flaps scraping on the ground.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Makes you wonder whether BMW in their attempt to keep the E60 light after making it physically bigger have made it a little flimsy! <_<
Old 04-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 6 2005, 09:13 PM
Makes you wonder whether BMW in their attempt to keep the E60 light after making it physically bigger have made it a little flimsy! <_<
[snapback]112075[/snapback]
Good point. Especially when they are using a combination of aluminium and steel for the body. Maybe that's also a possible reason for not getting a full NCAP rating??? Just a thought.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Apr 6 2005, 08:53 PM
I have creaking noises from the rear of the car when going over bumpy roads.? I believe it is due to the parcel shelf.? Not sure what fixes are available for this though.? I've started to hear creaking noises from the doors too, so going to have to take it into the dealer when getting the oil service done in 2800 miles time.

So hopefully get more information from everyone here to pass to my dealer by then.
[snapback]112062[/snapback]
Most probably the noise is coming from the rear doors seals. I fought for ten months with the same problem and I had the same impression that the noise was originated by the parcel shelf but my SA fixed it when they replaced the original doors seals with new, modified, units. DO NOT ACCEPT CARBOFLO as a solution! It simply doesn't work and it's a waste of time.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by streak' date='Apr 6 2005, 09:12 PM
I have the front suspension crunch when going over speed bumps at slow speed when cold.
What I was refering to above is groaning and creaking coming from the rear when the chassis flexes eg. when the rear wheels are on flat ground and the front about to go up a steep driveway, almost sounds like non existent mud flaps scraping on the ground.
[snapback]112073[/snapback]
As I said, I suppose the likely cause is the door seal. Especially for the rear doors, it's very difficult to tell if the groaning is coming from the door or from the parcel shelf or whatever. My SA disaasembled completely all the interiors and added felt specers everywhere, but my problem has been fixed only, several months later, they decided to replace all door seals. And it works!

Quick Reply: Creaking from rear of car