E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking Noises - Suspension Related?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently my 2006 525i Sport (81,000 miles) has been making creaking sounds when I accelerate, brake, go over bumps, or turn. The creaking noises do not occur on flat stretches of road. I?m wondering whether the shocks or something related are starting to wear and will need to be replaced at some point. This doesn't seem like something that will fail in the near term, but I'd certainly like to diagnose the problem sooner rather than later. In general, the car drives quite smoothly. I emailed Mike Miller (Roundel Tech Editor) and he said something was probably starting to go, but he couldn't identify the issue without seeing the car. He also included his Suspension and Steering Evaluation article, which was nice of him. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

It sounds like the front tie bars/rods may need replacing, mine have just been replaced, I had the same issues as you described.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Members

Thanks for the feedback. Driving around town this morning I was able to tell that the creaking came from the rear even when the front wheels were going over a speed bump. I'll keep the tie rods in mind as I continue investigating.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

Bryan - would it possible to post that article on the forum?

At 81K miles, it might be worn out bushings or control arms also.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

sure it isn't the classic E60 door seal squeak??
Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Members

Alright Kyle,
I'm intrigued by this possibility. There must be a way to quickly rule out door seal squeak. Would that be just going over a bump with the rear doors not closed and confirming that the creak disappears? Is there a product that addresses door seal squeak?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Members

sahiljain22,
I hesitate to post Mike's document because I believe he prefers to provide the most current guidance possible himself instead of having people relying on outdated information they encounter in the web. He can be reached at techtalk@roundel.org. I think he requires a name and City and State. Sorry.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by bryanread
Alright Kyle,
I'm intrigued by this possibility. There must be a way to quickly rule out door seal squeak. Would that be just going over a bump with the rear doors not closed and confirming that the creak disappears? Is there a product that addresses door seal squeak?

take some blue painters tape, apply it to the felt portion of the seal on the door. it runs along the top edge. put a strip of tape on each door, drive it for a day or so, and see if your noise goes away. if it does, there's your problem.

supposedly the fix is to apply a strip of clear vinyl tape to the BODY of the car where that felt strip makes contact with the chassis. there are several DIY threads floating around on the web.

good luck with the car.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

I had similar noise from my rear suspension- ended up being the ball joint,see- http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/33326767748/
Old 07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 LCI 535SE Auto,Mtech Bodykit and Rear Spoiler, Blufin Chipped, 124 alloys,Space grey, Folding Mirrors, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Pro nav, Bluetooth,Logic 7,Comfort access, USB, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Acoustic Solutions DAB, love my car! Retired-2003 530SE, 124 alloys,Titan silver, Black leather, Adaptive headlights, Business nav, Mtech Bodykit & Rear Spoiler,-petrol with LPG

Sorry- should have also said- way to prove, spray grease into joint from both sides, i found noise then dissapeared for a few hundred miles until grease worked its way out, but is good way to test if this is the problem. From what I understand this is quite a common fail point.

Quick Reply: Creaking Noises - Suspension Related?