E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

creaking noise from front seat/door/dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a 2005 525i. I have been looking at all of the forum posts about sqeaks and creaks and am amazed about the amount of them. I have a similar noise that I can't localize but sounds like it is coming from the dash/driver seat/driver door area. It only happens over bumpy roads at slow speeds. Any ideas? I have seen numerous posts on doors seals, seatbacks, etc.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Try lowering all the windows and see if it stops - If so its the std door seal problem thats fixed by a spray lubricant.
The squeaking could be from the passenger seat.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KCH525i' date='May 30 2005, 01:23 PM
Just got a 2005 525i. I have been looking at all of the forum posts about sqeaks and creaks and am amazed about the amount of them. I have a similar noise that I can't localize but sounds like it is coming from the dash/driver seat/driver door area. It only happens over bumpy roads at slow speeds. Any ideas? I have seen numerous posts on doors seals, seatbacks, etc.
[snapback]134573[/snapback]
I've had this problem for a year now and i've given up trying to fix it

Good Luck <_<
Old 05-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='May 30 2005, 03:36 PM
[quote name='KCH525i' date='May 30 2005, 01:23 PM']Just got a 2005 525i. I have been looking at all of the forum posts about sqeaks and creaks and am amazed about the amount of them. I have a similar noise that I can't localize but sounds like it is coming from the dash/driver seat/driver door area. It only happens over bumpy roads at slow speeds. Any ideas? I have seen numerous posts on doors seals, seatbacks, etc.
[snapback]134573[/snapback]
I've had this problem for a year now and i've given up trying to fix it

Good Luck <_<
[snapback]134598[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, me too on my last e60, gave up in the end.
New one doesn't do it, but then again music on all the time.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, music solves all E60 noise issue.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

I fought with all those bloody noise problems for almost a year and I'm glad to say that, at last, I solved all of them: I switched to a new 535d!

More positively, this is my experience:

CREACKING DOORS
The problem can start on a brand new car or after few thousand miles. No way how much CARBAFLO you use or how often you treat them, the only definitive solution is to replace the seals with a new product, available from BMW since March 2005, which have the same part number followed by a coloured dot. ALL THE SEALS MUST BE REPLACED, not just the one apparently noisier. BMW must do perform the replacement under warranty terms.

NOISY DASHBOARD
Check the bolts fastening the crossbar linking the front suspension domes in the engine compartment: it could be they are a little bit loose, enough to produce a very annoying "crack" that has a tendency to increase in frequency and intensity over the months. Check also the plastic linings under the windshield sweepers, they are a possible source of noise.

SQUEEKING SEATS
in eleven months my SA was not able to fix them; they tried several different expedients with no success. So far, I cannot give you any clue to fix this problem.

Hope these few lines will help you to put your SA on the right direction to solve most of the problem.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:21 AM
Members

This morning I cracked all the windows and went over my "test track" bumpy road and didn't seem to hear anything. I don't know if it was drowned out by the traffic noise but it seemed to be quiet. Then I pulled into my garage at work with the windows up and heard a faint creak again. So I guess it is the seals. I think I will wait until my first service to investigate it more. Everything else in the car is great and so far it is not that much of an annoyance and it only happens on bumpy roads.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

I have the same issues. When you drive a premium class car like ours you don't wexpect any of those creaky sounds and its freaking me out. My previus car - e39 was much more silent, i gues because suspension was softer..

I'm glad (in a good way) that i'm not the only one at least i have some ideas where to start now..
On the other topic i've got advice to put lubricant over door seals - i'm gonna find out more and give it a try... it's really annoying!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Well...I guess I'll jump in here with my sqeaks and creaks and rattles. If you have been this board much, I know you have seen me say this many times...my 1995 525i with 250K miles was silent from day I bought it new to day that b!tch rear ended me and totalled it out... My '08 535i LCI has more rattles than I can say...I can't not tell you how disappointing this is.

If fact, my car is in the shop right now for : 1 - windshield creak that has been present (only when cold outside) since the day I got the car new. 2 - the hard black plastic area around the A/C and radio and CD knobs rattles (only when hot outside). 3 - Mine is a 6-speed...when I am in Nuetral, foot off clutch, I can hear a "gear rattle" from under the shifter.

Oh...and will you PLEASE stop saying "turn the radio on and it'll go away". I am soooo freakin' tired of reading that on every single "sqeak/rattle/creak" that comes up... I bought a BMW because I like to listen to the engine...I don't know why they even put radios in these cars...

I'm sorry... ...but if you can't tell...creaks/rattles REALLY get on my nerves. It's complete Bullsh!t, that BMW sells a $60K+ car and it rattles...what in the hell is that all about... :thumbsdown:
Old 01-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

my 1995 525i with 250K miles was silent from day I bought it new to day that b!tch rear ended me and totalled it out... My '08 535i LCI has more rattles than I can say...I can't not tell you how disappointing this is.
Exactly the same here, I have a 1991 E34 525i Sport, 156.000 miles not a sqeek from it.........( still got my old girl )

I have a vibration or creek from the dash on my car sometimes, I think its maybe my HUD surround - not sure.

Also the rear parcel shelf creeks occasionally

Gutted

Maybe I should put all the cool bits from my E60 into my E34 ?? engine the lot lol......

Quick Reply: creaking noise from front seat/door/dash