E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking left front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

I have recently bought a 530xi CPO'd from a respected dealer in the area.

I noticed, when going over a speed bump recently(day after I got the car), a creak from the driver side front suspension. Duplicated it again this evening over a speed bump - reasonable speed. It almost sounded like the noise was occuring as the shock decompressed after the bump.

Again this evening on the way back home turned right into a sharp positive camber corner (putting pressure on the driver side suspension) and there it was again, a short creak/grind - this time it sounded like it was in the compression phase of the travel.

Any ideas? The car goes in next week for something this and a slight vibration in the steering wheel @ about 65mph. Don't know if they are related. Car had a driver side control arm replaced(prior to purchase) due to some automated carwash damage.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by esmolol' post='755591' date='Dec 29 2008, 11:50 PM
The car goes in next week for something this and a slight vibration in the steering wheel @ about 65mph. Don't know if they are related.
Maybe this WAS my old car, after all!? But seriously, all 3 of my E60's have creaked....but I couldn't hear it as I was driving. I hear it as I exit the car, from the rear. There was another similar post just yesterday. It's the springs you are hearing.

If you hear a screech during hard turning or loud noise, it is usually a power steering pump issue....but actually fixing that noise has proven difficult on others' cars here. Have them check it out at least. I have experienced a loud screach (sounded like an air brake on a truck) on my new 550i. The dealership couldn't replicate it. ICEMAN has a lot of experience with this noise.

Check this current thread also: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry754723

Your control arm that was replaced could have some worn bushings. I am sure Rahal will fix it up for ya.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

the creak as you get out of the car that comes from the rear should be from your e-brake, I had the same problem. When I ask my dealer about it they told me to try pulling my e-brake up harder and once I did the squeak went away.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

Originally Posted by cleung' post='755772' date='Dec 30 2008, 10:15 PM
the creak as you get out of the car that comes from the rear should be from your e-brake, I had the same problem. When I ask my dealer about it they told me to try pulling my e-brake up harder and once I did the squeak went away.
i had a squeak from the front when moving over speed bumps slowly, and didn't think much of it,my dealer even did a road test, until i fitted my bilsteins and they showed me one shock was not not moving/kaput, which means my front right side was working on the springs alone!!
so its best to get it out and checked.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

Originally Posted by billhk' post='755830' date='Dec 30 2008, 10:58 AM
i had a squeak from the front when moving over speed bumps slowly, and didn't think much of it,my dealer even did a road test, until i fitted my bilsteins and they showed me one shock was not not moving/kaput, which means my front right side was working on the springs alone!!
so its best to get it out and checked.
I had the car in for an inspection a few weeks ago and I go the "could not replicate the problem" response . Well today when out with the service manager and head mechanic.

I have noticed the noise more when it is colder and of course today was 45 degrees as opposed to the 5-20 degress the past 2 weeks . Well I was able to replicate the noise. The head mechanic said he heard it and is pretty sure it is the stabilizer bar bushings(little rubber rings). In a couple of model years something was odd about the rubber compound used and they would squeak and I certainly can understand that this might be accentuated in cold weather.

Anyhoo, they are replacing them under warranty on Monday and hopefully life will be a lot quieter. I love to hear the sound of a straight-6 with the squeak/groan of the suspension .

Best of all they even washed all the salt grime off the car while I waited to set up the appointment.

Dealer is a keeper
Old 02-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by esmolol' post='775947' date='Jan 23 2009, 09:54 PM
I had the car in for an inspection a few weeks ago and I go the "could not replicate the problem" response . Well today when out with the service manager and head mechanic.

I have noticed the noise more when it is colder and of course today was 45 degrees as opposed to the 5-20 degress the past 2 weeks . Well I was able to replicate the noise. The head mechanic said he heard it and is pretty sure it is the stabilizer bar bushings(little rubber rings). In a couple of model years something was odd about the rubber compound used and they would squeak and I certainly can understand that this might be accentuated in cold weather.

Anyhoo, they are replacing them under warranty on Monday and hopefully life will be a lot quieter. I love to hear the sound of a straight-6 with the squeak/groan of the suspension .

Best of all they even washed all the salt grime off the car while I waited to set up the appointment.

Dealer is a keeper
Replacing the bushings fixed the problem. It has been a nice solid quiet ride since 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by esmolol' post='793600' date='Feb 15 2009, 08:22 PM
Replacing the bushings fixed the problem. It has been a nice solid quiet ride since 3 weeks ago.
Excellent to hear, Andrew.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

i have same exact problem with my 530i ... only happens when the car is cold... like below 50 F...
It sounds like old mattress spring.... so i took it to the dealer about 3 times and they said no problem with shocks and springs but they actually replaced the control arm bushing(i think that is what they said)... and well problem is still there... so when i asked them to lower my car so that they can check the whole suspension while they do my lowering job.. they said nothing is wrong with shocks... well now noise got bigger... so i am about to take the car back and according to my SA it will be still cover by warranty since they did all the jobs... (thats the reason why i didnt want to do my spring at local shops).
Old 02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='793716' date='Feb 15 2009, 11:41 PM
i have same exact problem with my 530i ... only happens when the car is cold... like below 50 F...
It sounds like old mattress spring.... so i took it to the dealer about 3 times and they said no problem with shocks and springs but they actually replaced the control arm bushing(i think that is what they said)... and well problem is still there... so when i asked them to lower my car so that they can check the whole suspension while they do my lowering job.. they said nothing is wrong with shocks... well now noise got bigger... so i am about to take the car back and according to my SA it will be still cover by warranty since they did all the jobs... (thats the reason why i didnt want to do my spring at local shops).
Well, Suggest that it may be the stabilizer bar bushings (not control arm like they said for you before). Apparently it was a problem with the rubber compound that was used in certain cars. Worth a try. GL
Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='793704' date='Feb 15 2009, 11:16 PM
Excellent to hear, Andrew.
It was as you said, Dave, Rahal is the best dealership for service - that has been my experience.