E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking Interior, Seats,back seats,doors,arm rest

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a few very minor creaks and rattles on certain roads but to be honest I put it down to:

- roads where i live are terrible...pot holes everywhere, poor surfaces
- 18" wheels with low profile tyres
- to make matters worse, 18" wheels with low profile RUNFLAT tyres

I find it had to get too critical due to those factors, when the day comes to changes tyres i might try non-runflats to see if there is a difference.

it would be interesting to see how many rattles/squeaks owners on this forum with smallers wheels and non-runflats have, i am sure the ride inside the car is totally different for them.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

I don't have the sport package and mine creaks, squeaks and rattles like an old woman.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:24 PM

All 4 of my doors squeak and rattle now on my 530i with sport and premium. Yes it has the 18" runflats as well. This is also the most expensive car I have ever owned and am so far quite dissapointed in it. A car in this price point should be solid as a rock, PERIOD. My wife's Honda Accord doesn't even squeak and rattle as much as this. My dash is rattling now, too, as is the driver's seat (sqeaking really). Last time when I took it into the dealer for the door rattles, they 'Pledged' the doors. With the household cleaning product PLEDGE!!!! That was their solution! It seems when you roll down the window just a tad, I can make the rattle in the door go away. That leads me to believe that it may be INSIDE the door panel which is causing the rattle. The backseat creaks and rattles as well too. On my next visit to the dealer, I am going to demand that a tech ride with me so I can point out each and every rattle.

There are other issues too, such as the transmission 'hum' at low speeds. Seems kind of noisy to me. Anyone else have this problem?

Then there is the issue of the creaking breaks. Whenever I let off of them at a standstill, they creak. Driving slow and applying the brakes, they creak. Ridiculous.

Then there is the issue of the 'mysterious vibrations' that I am getting intermittently. It seems that sometimes around 40 mph or so, the car will just shake briefly, unnaturally. It also rides unsmooth at between 60 - 70 mph. The steering wheel isn't shaking I can just feel the car shimmying where it doesn't do it at the other speeds. Could be a balancing issue, who knows. I have 10K on the car.

Then there is the issue of the delayed pedal response so often spoken of here. Step on the gas, wait a second then GO!

The car looks good and I guess that's what I'm paying for is the BMW name.

Hopefully the dealer can fix these issue, otherwise I think i'll sell it. I just can't see having to live with these kind of issues on such an expensive car. Mercedes E320, here I come!

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Sep 28 2004, 04:24 PM
All 4 of my doors squeak and rattle now on my 530i with sport and premium.? Yes it has the 18" runflats as well.? This is also the most expensive car I have ever owned and am so far quite dissapointed in it.? A car in this price point should be solid as a rock, PERIOD.? My wife's Honda Accord doesn't even squeak and rattle as much as this.? My dash is rattling now, too, as is the driver's seat (sqeaking really).? Last time when I took it into the dealer for the door rattles, they 'Pledged' the doors.? With the household cleaning product PLEDGE!!!!? That was their solution!? It seems when you roll down the window just a tad, I can make the rattle in the door go away.? That leads me to believe that it may be INSIDE the door panel which is causing the rattle.? The backseat creaks and rattles as well too.? On my next visit to the dealer, I am going to demand that a tech ride with me so I can point out each and every rattle.

There are other issues too, such as the transmission 'hum' at low speeds.? Seems kind of noisy to me.? Anyone else have this problem?

Then there is the issue of the creaking breaks.? Whenever I let off of them at a standstill, they creak.? Driving slow and applying the brakes, they creak.? Ridiculous.?

Then there is the issue of the 'mysterious vibrations' that I am getting intermittently.? It seems that sometimes around 40 mph or so, the car will just shake briefly, unnaturally.? It also rides unsmooth at between 60 - 70 mph.? The steering wheel isn't shaking I can just feel the car shimmying where it doesn't do it at the other speeds.? Could be a balancing issue, who knows.? I have 10K on the car.

Then there is the issue of the delayed pedal response so often spoken of here.? Step on the gas, wait a second then GO!

The car looks good and I guess that's what I'm paying for is the BMW name.

Hopefully the dealer can fix these issue, otherwise I think i'll sell it.? I just can't see having to live with these kind of issues on such an expensive car.? Mercedes E320, here I come!

Thanks for listening.
[snapback]39020[/snapback]

I hear you on that for sure. I also want to point out all the squeaks and rattles to a tech but i dont even really know where mine are coming from. There so inconistent and varied its hard to pinpoint them. At this point I am ready to slap anyone who has anything to do with a bmw service dept.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 545i sport pckg,sirius,active steering,grey on black

I have the sports pckg. and did have a couple of squeaks. I bought Carbaflo

lubricant from my dealer and applied it to the felt flocking on top of each door.

Also,I used a spray silicon[yes silicon] lubricant on my seat[under,at sides,

where belt buckle contacts seats,and also at strategic points around and in the

center console. For now this seems to be working well. Also,I got my car back

from the first oil change today[11,000 mi] and asked them to set the idle up

to 600 rpm from 500rpm....this has solved the launch control problem you

allude to. Hope this helps. Btw,the dealer charges for the idle reset.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll let the dealer try and fix these problems again, then resort to your measures.

Does anyone else have creaky brakes?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Sep 28 2004, 08:28 AM
Mine is sqeaking between driver seat and seatbelt buckle
[snapback]38932[/snapback]
same here . some of us used cloth to wrap around the buckle but i'll try to find something that is hard to see...maybe velcro ? something is black cuz my interior is black.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Senior Members

Arrow

Hi All

Mine squeaks and rattles too, drives my crazy. In particular, lower seat back rest driver side; and a rattling noise coming from inside (I believe) the B pillar driver side.

I also agree that a car at this price range should be rock solid instead of this

Do they at the BMW factory honestly not notice these squeaks ??? I really wonder !

Bunbun.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Sep 29 2004, 07:45 AM
Do they at the BMW factory honestly not notice these squeaks ???? I really wonder !
[snapback]39164[/snapback]
I think it's too loud in the factory...
Old 09-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

ummm almost 14000 miles and very minor cracking sounds, well coming from a lowered M3 anything sounds quieter

anyway, here is my list of defects/cracking stuff:
1- Both front pillars cloth were pealing up <--replaced by dealer
2- Front brakes squeaked a bit (13500 miles) <-- Dealer fixed them
3- Windows making cracking sounds (5000miles) <- dealer lubricated windows, not more noise since then.
4- Driver buckle makes noise <- determined it was making noise with the belt of my pants. so when I wear shorts it doesn't make noise

Thas is it!.. no other noises coming from anywhere well,I forgot to mention the rattle in the rear seat but I think that is because of all the toys my sons have dropped there

Quick Reply: Creaking Interior, Seats,back seats,doors,arm rest