E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking Interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Creaking Interior-41mfjrtyy2l._sl500_aa300_.jpg
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

One I recently tracked down was coming from the third brake light cover at the top of the rear window. Pressing in on that going over bumps makes one of my most annoying rattles go away. I just have not figured out what of padding to stick in there to make it stop.

I purchased some felt a while back from wal-mart and used it to put inside the plastic cover on the side of the front seats (where the switches are) and fixed those rattles. I think I will stuff some of that inside the brake light cover.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X-driver
I have the same probleme also... But only when the weather is cold. The noise comes from the rear seats...
Rear seats as well, however can't locate it exact position at all..... Have read to put use a cloth to stop the creaking, but no matter where i place it, noise is still there

Originally Posted by Toggle
Guys - I had this maddening creak eminating from my back seat and spent a large amount of time driving around like an idiot with my head twisted in every direction tying to find it! Mine would creak most when leaving our driveway when the body twists lightly and slightly bumpy roads. Eventually I got in the trunk and had my wife drive up and down the driveway - this really must have had the neigbours perplexed!!

The creak was in da trunk!! If you lie flat on our back on the trunk floor with your head touching the back seat panel (your feet will most probably hang out and it will look like a Mafia hit) and you look straight up you will see a gap formed by the back of the seat and a metal lip - the gap is about 2-3 centimeters wide. If you force something into this gap the creaking stops!! I used a long piece of rolled up cloth that I stuffed in the length of this gap and cut 4 chipboard blocks which I forced into the gap to keep the cloth in place - lo and behold.......my creaky ol 530D became whisper quiet. I know this is not a high tech fix but nobody knows the gap is stuffed with cloth and woodblocks and my car is no longer driving me mad!
Will give that a try... Thanks m8
Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Members

Remember that the cloth - or whatever you wedge in the crack must be forced in so that it opens up that gap a bit, dont just simply put the material in. The little blocks of wood I added were also slightly oversised for the gap to further open it up. Unfortunately cars are like people, they all have different personalities so I hope that my remedy might help someone. Now if only I can get rid of this damn transmission slam when I come to a slow stop........
Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I also had a squeak that was coming from the seatbelt buckle rubbing one the side of the seat. Once it was seatbelt was locked it was just enough pressure rub the leather. I placed a small piece of black soft side of velcro on the non visible side of the buckle and that stopped the problem.

ANTI SQUEAK PAINT - BMW also uses this paint on most all plastics and leather areas where there is a chance of rubbing and noise. This is clear roller type application and a small amount of this material is applied to the edges etc to prevent noise. It works well, but like anything else, it wears off... I'm not sure if you can get this at the dealer, I doubt it but I'll have a look and see if I can find a source or something similar nd then post it. Powders, oils and armor all work as well but in most cases leave residues and are short lived.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Here is a good product to use and is the same thing in most cases that is used my the suppliers. Küber Lubrication http://www.klueber.c...1d4f9609e9937d8 This is a non visible material that you can apply that dries clear and prevents squeaks. The hard part is identiying exactly where they are...

There is another product call Molykote D-96 Anti-friction coating http://www.dowcornin...54368&type=PROD which is a little less expensive but is also slightly visible. This would be used primarily in an area like behind the door panel edge where its not really seen. Hope this helps!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Members

how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Joydivision-Latex-Gummi-Rubber-Glanz-Pflege-Spray-150ml-/220779814003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3367809c73
Old 05-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by tonee
Well if the interior still creaks after this, she's probably too old.