E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking Interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530d M-Sport LeMans Blue

When driving my e60 530d msport without the stereo on, I have a profound creaking coming from the interior.
It tends to come from the passenger side of the car, but I can't quite track down where exactly it comes from

I think its the door areas, so have checked the tightness of the door hinges etc, and have lubed up the door seals on all doors.
I cant help thinking that its coming from the plastic trim pieces up and around the door entry, and seatbelt pillar etc..

Maybe they have been removed before, and some clips broken etc?? I am a little scared to start pulling at them, as I don't know how they are removed.

Anyone else got the same sort of issues??

Bought a BMW thinking they were a 'prestigious' brand, but the creaking is worse then my previous car, (a 10yr old Subaru with the most cheap plastic ever seen in an interior!!) []

Ps.......I know if I turn the stereo up it will cure it, but thats not the point!!
Old 02-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

yea my cars iterior is noisy even worse in the cold.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
yea my cars iterior is noisy even worse in the cold.
Mine too, I think alot of it is the leather on leather rubbing. Applying a good leather conditioner in the areas where the leather touches another piece like the backs and bottoms of the seats, front and back will reduce this untilit dries out agian. I thinks this happens in the winter more because of lower humitity. Silicone on the dorrs seals also helps.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Inside the interior A and C pillars there is some sorta styrofoam which I guess is used for sound deadening.
Anyway I pinpointed the sound a few months ago by physically pressing the pillars by hand. Lo and behold creaking up the ass. I still haven't figured out a way to eliminate the creaks and it seems to be getting worse as it gets colder... :thumbsdown:
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

It's the rubber door seals. Use some rubber protectant around all the rubber seals on the doors and on the car itself. Don't use silicon based protectant which could dry up the rubber.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Originally Posted by balbs
It's the rubber door seals. Use some rubber protectant around all the rubber seals on the doors and on the car itself. Don't use silicon based protectant which could dry up the rubber.
This is probably the source of the rattle ...
Try the BMW specific tape to fix this problem. The transparent tape is to put onto the arch of the door ... the car body, not the door itself.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:13 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Originally Posted by balbs
I've used silicone spray on the rubbers around the doors, trunk and engine compartment for over 20 years on my Bimmers and never had any problrms with deterioration and never had to replace any because of dry rot. What stype of silicone treatment should be avoided?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Members

I have been having the same problem and rattling my brain to find out where it was coming from thinking it was the passenger seat, door etc. Come to find out all this time that it was my sunroof, how I figured it out was when I put the sunroof on tilt and drove it didnt make the noise, however once the sunroof was closed I would hear it. Try it and see if the noise goes away.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 530xd ///M

I have the same probleme also... But only when the weather is cold. The noise comes from the rear seats...
Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

yes mine too, drives me nuts. my solution is...i keep a small bottle of armor-all in the car a spray it on the door seals every 3 f-ing days!!!! this is unacceptable for a high end luxury car. next time i'm getting an audi. we also have a 99 A8...its dead silent inside, and it has 140k miles on it too, its engine is also quieter than my valvetronical 545.

Quick Reply: Creaking Interior