E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking hood hinges

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a few times about a creaking noise that I discovered was caused by my hood hinges. I had an occaisional creak comming from what seemed like the dash area. After some investigation I discovered that when pushing down on the hood I duplicated the sound. I therefore lubricated it and it was gone, not only to return after a wash. I thought I would just live with it but then changed my mind and took it in to the dealer. I explained the problem, demonstrated the noise which he clearly heard and told him that I had solved it by lubricating the hinges but this was just a temporary fix. He said that this was the first he has seen of this. As a side note I went out to the new car lot and checked other 5 series models and most of them had the same noise. So I don't know if this is a model wide problem. Anyway so I leave it for the day and then they called and said they tightened it up and should be OK. Picked up the car and drove home which is not too far from the dealer. All seemed quiet but when I got out of the car and pushed down on the hood....the noise was stilll there. I looked at the repair reciept where the technician wrote "lubed hinge, no noise noticed" I couldn't believe it. I called the dealer back and told him that they did what I already had done. He said they used a different lubricant and to give it a couple of days. If that does not work they might have to replace the hinges. I don't know what to do but I am pissed at the dealership. Why didn't they just try to replace the hinges? Parts of me just wants to say the heck with it, it is not a common noise, only when in certain situation the body flexes at slow speed. What would you all do.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Try tightening the hindges one turn...

Open the hood, look up under the hood where the D notches are.. the base of the D hooks, there is a black plastic thing, there is a screw there somewhere... losen it / unscrew it all the way... either way, take that black peice off and turn the D hook one turn clock wise... and test... dont try to over tighten it... Test by doing it only ONE turn at a time. Obviously repeat for the other side of the D hook. Then Double check to make sure the hood release isnt too stiff to pull (when you release the hood) after shutting it.

See if that solves the problem.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

These D Latches... I'm not sure if they will solve the problem but if your hood is too loose and you drive over bumps and rough road it will "move" if its not held down tight so tightening these up will secure it down better.

Just unscrew the Phillips head on the black holder and twist the D latch clock wise (*tightening*) once and then run some tests...

Hope it works out.
Attached Thumbnails Creaking hood hinges-img_3968.jpg   Creaking hood hinges-img_3969.jpg