E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking Comfort Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d M Sport

Hi

Just bagged myself a lovely '57 535d M Sport with some nice extras!!

Loving the new ride, although I've hung my manual spurs up and its taking a while to get into the auto box.

After driving it for a week I have noticed the plastic surround on the comfort seats is creaking, especially when cornering.

Has anyone else got this and did a trip to the Dealer sort anything out?

Trawled the forum, but most complaints seem to be re: door seals - been there, done that on my previous car , so I know the pain and the sound

I had a 530dM Sport before this, and I never heard a peep out of the seats. Plenty of creaks from the dash and rear though.

Although everything about the 535d seems better, the creaking still remains. I also get odds clicks/creaks from the dash facia.

Will have to drive with stereo on permanently if I can't get at least the seats fixed.

Cheers

Red
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have the regular seats and mine creak now too, ever since the dealer had to take it apart and change the seat cover. I found that the noise subsided when I conditioned the leather on the seat.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport, Visibility pack, Cream Beige Leather, Auto, M rear spoiler, BT Car kit, Folding Mirrors, USB, Business NAV, DAB, High Beam Assist, CD Changer, 172 Alloys, Comfort Seats.

Hi,

I too have this problem with my comfort seats, it really annoys me as I like to have the side bolsters quite tight for cornering.

I tend to release them on the motorway.

axuklpsyk
Old 11-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Members

I've got the comfort seats as well, best invention yet.
Mine aren't creaking but I'm sure if yours are the fix on that might be a big project.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JW-BENZ' post='1056724' date='Nov 17 2009, 04:16 PM
I've got the comfort seats as well, best invention yet.
Mine aren't creaking but I'm sure if yours are the fix on that might be a big project.

At least I'm not alone

Just got the car back from the Dealers, but becasue its persisting down I can't tell if there's been an improvement.
Getting some leather wear done on warranty on the bolsters next week so hopefully I can demo the problem to the tech.

Don't hold out much hope though.

Might give the leather conditioning a go.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Red
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I also had a mysterious creaking. I swore it was something in the dash. It drove me nuts for months. It turned out to be the leather boot around my manual 6MT shifter. Leather conditioning made that go away.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Redrum' post='1056775' date='Nov 17 2009, 12:30 PM
At least I'm not alone

Just got the car back from the Dealers, but becasue its persisting down I can't tell if there's been an improvement.
Getting some leather wear done on warranty on the bolsters next week so hopefully I can demo the problem to the tech.

Don't hold out much hope though.

Might give the leather conditioning a go.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Red

I had the same issue about a month in, and took it to the dealer.

They fixed it easily.

I think it was something to do with the the point where the rails are bolted to the floor.

Either one of the front bolts worked loose, or needed to be greased, or both. Dealer did it, and haven't had a problem since. (over a year)

Have hope!

BTW, I know the seat leather creaking sound, and it's not that. Most often, the seat leather will creak where the seat back meets the seat bottom. The leather sticks together somewhat over time. Put the seat through the full range of motion and it should fix it. I also had a problem with a squeak in the seat backs going over bumps, where the plastic back cover articulates and meets the leather. The dealer also sorted this out, and hasn't squeaked in 6 months.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ADD' post='1056786' date='Nov 17 2009, 05:49 PM
I had the same issue about a month in, and took it to the dealer.

They fixed it easily.

I think it was something to do with the the point where the rails are bolted to the floor.

Either one of the front bolts worked loose, or needed to be greased, or both. Dealer did it, and haven't had a problem since. (over a year)

Have hope!

BTW, I know the seat leather creaking sound, and it's not that. Most often, the seat leather will creak where the seat back meets the seat bottom. The leather sticks together somewhat over time. Put the seat through the full range of motion and it should fix it. I also had a problem with a squeak in the seat backs going over bumps, where the plastic back cover articulates and meets the leather. The dealer also sorted this out, and hasn't squeaked in 6 months.

Thanks for that fella.

Will let you know how I get on next week.

Red
Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 MINI Cooper S - lightly modified - 2006 BMW 525i
Model Year: 0000

The seats on my car creaks after the dealer went in and serviced the subwoofers under the seats. I'm afraid to take it back to them to fix, but will ask about it next time my car is in for service. I suspect they may have overtightened or slightly misaligned a rail.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Members

Here's the update.

Got to go out with the tech at the dealers on a test run. He heard the creaks, and it was worse on his side!

Car was in all day and I wasn't holding out much on it getting fixed.

Well to my surprise its been sorted. No horrid creaks. The tech put deadening tape on everything apparently, and re-tightened all the trim.

Got a new seat cover too and a door handle is on order for next week as its bent.

Still got the cracking noise from the ashtray facia, but I'm going to bung some foam behind that to try and fix it.

This creaking must be common as I checked out the new stock at the dealers that had comfort seats and they all had this problem, even the M3!

Red

Quick Reply: Creaking Comfort Seats