E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Crank, No start. (E60 550i)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport
Angry Crank, No start. (E60 550i)

Hey everyone.
In the previous months (December-january) my 550 started throwing TPS codes. after replacing the entire throttle harness, the throttle body, AND the gas pedal, i threw in the towel and got a civic.
Since then the 550 has been sitting in the parking lot, and as I am moving soon i need to get it out....
So today i charged up the battery and went to start it. Cranked very healthy! Although it just kept cranking. and cranking. and cranking.
I tested the fuel rail and it definitely has gas in it. and it's definitely pressurized. I sprayed in some starting fluid into the intake and voila! The engine caught for maybe half a second (and it sounded ROUGH) and then died and went back to cranking. I pulled several codes earlier however when i went to read them again they all vanished! I even replaced the Fuel pump relay to no avail (rip 30 dollars)
Should i test the coils and plugs?
Should i also test the fuel pump itself?
Is there any other part of the car that would cause a crank, no start?
I just want to move it. Lmao, i think this car is alive and hates me.
Edit: The model year is 2008.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:51 AM
New Members

Bump? I really need this fixed. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You need to post the codes you had on there. Right now you have a crank but no start. That could point to the fuel pump. You got it to start so it would not be spark or CPS. Is the pump priming in the 2 position? There is no way to troubleshoot without codes unless you do it blindly. I would say start at the pump itself because you can not get it to start. Maybe the fuse.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
You need to post the codes you had on there. Right now you have a crank but no start. That could point to the fuel pump. You got it to start so it would not be spark or CPS. Is the pump priming in the 2 position? There is no way to troubleshoot without codes unless you do it blindly. I would say start at the pump itself because you can not get it to start. Maybe the fuse.
Well, if it is the pump (which I do not hear priming in the key 2 position), wouldn't there be no fuel in the rails? Should I purge the fuel in the rails, crank, and see if any fuel returns?
the codes I pulled before having them all disappear were:
p0024
p0120
p0221
p1631
p1647
p00c1
c1516
U0155
How would I go about testing the fuel pump? I tested fuse F50 located in the trunk which was fine, and I just replaced the relay.

Last edited by Kal Sahoo; 08-11-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You my friend might have a blown head gasket. Has this car been running while overheated? Please tell the whole story of why it was parked.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
You my friend might have a blown head gasket. Has this car been running while overheated? Please tell the whole story of why it was parked.
Around mid January my car started going into limp mode throwing TPS codes (P0120, P0221) and would not come out. I replaced the throttle harness, the gas pedal, and the throttle body to no avail. I drove the car while it was still in limp mode as I had no choice (Indy was too expensive, did not have another car at the time, also out of warranty with 113k). It does have a coolant leak somewhere I believe however it was nothing insane. I was dilligent with keeping the coolant topped off as well as the oil, and I don't believe it ever overheated. I leased a 2017 Civic, and I then parked it and left for school, and since then has been parked.

Would a a blown head gasket prevent the fuel pump from priming when the key is in pos 2?

I cant get solid codes out of the car even with the battery charged. They seem to change every time I connect my scanner, or they disappear completely.

Should I just get rid of the car? Lol
Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

This code p1631 has to do with the theft deterrent system. Research that, that would cause the car not to start, You are getting a spark and there is gas in the system. I would try realigning the CAS and DME. Also, those are a lot of varying codes which is usually caused by power surges or battery issues but are not actual.Have you fully charged the battery or replaced it?