E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Crank no start after engine change

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 01:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW E60 530i
Engine: N52
Default Crank no start after engine change

Hi.
Recently did an engine change on my 2007 530i because the older engine was burning oil excessively (over a quart per month). Found a nice N52 engine, made an inspection and engine seemed on good conditions (no sludge, good compression, cylinders looked neat)
Managed to install the engine with a friend and hooked everything up except for the exhaust, tried firing the car and it started with little issue. Except the transmission fault light came on, seemed weird since I never had any problem with the transmission before. So i hooked the scanner and got a code for the crank posotion sensor and some comunication with the transmission module codes. Read somewhere that a faulty crank position sensor may mess up the link between the engine and the transmission. It turns out that before starting the car, my firend accidentaly broke the crank position sensor wire harness and tried to hook it up by wiring directly into the pins. We decide its best to get a replacement sensor and wire harness so i got one from a junk yard.
Now after hooking it up, the car cranks but wont start, tried reconecting the old sensor and made sure the cables were in the right order but still wont start.

Hooked the scanner again and now the crank position sensor code is gone but in its place I get these codes:

2ACB DMD master relay, activation
2CEF SME: throttle valve actuator, activation
2CFB DME: throttle valve adaptation value
2D09 DME: throttle valve
2E77 DME: firing, voltage supply

So I figure it must be the throttle body (weird since it started ok right before).
Next I hook a PC with ista installed and proceed to try to manually activate the throttle body through the test function and it fails. The throttle body plate does not move at all, and it makes a weird noise as if it is trying to do so.
So next day I went to get a new throttle body and hook it up at night and I still get the same codes and same results through ISTA. Tried hooking the throttle body to a 12v source just to test if it is bust and the plate opens right up no issues. So I figure it may be the wiring harness.
So I unplug the throttle body and the DME end of the wiring harness and test for electrical continuity between both ends, and every pin has continuity with its corresponding pin at the other end.

At this point I'm pretty lost with no ideas left to try out, other than DME damage, which I'm really hoping isn't the case since i'm sick of dumping money into this car.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:26 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

If one wiring harness was messed up, perhaps there are two messed up?