E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cracked windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a problem with HUD winshields only????

Lets see how long my new one will last!!
Old 05-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Jeff_s

I got a crack in my 545i windshield within two weeks of having the car. I could see an extremely tiny stone chip about 1/4" from the passenger side "B" pillar, and the crack took off from there, winding in a curve for about 20".

It never occured to me to be a defect, only bad luck until I saw numerous posts about windshield cracks in new E60s. My thinking is that the glass is thinner to save weight and that it is much more volnerable to cracking. I had my insurance cover the damage and used a trusted body shop to replace it. The dealership said they use an outside contract company and I didn't trust them as much as the body shop. In the end, all turned out well and I'm hoping it was a one-time event.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

And that leads me to another thought.. Has anyone else noticed the wiper blades more easily scratching the windshield? I seem to spot several new "hairline scratches" quite often after having used the wipers.

Either I haven't been as observant on our two previous E39s, or there weren't made any scratches to them at all.

Am I being a little too picky and more observant than earlier - or is the quality of the windshield glass lower on the E60 than on the E39?

-paasan
Old 05-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

passan, do you have the hud as well?
Old 05-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

No HUD on this car. Only windshield with the green upper area.

-paasan
Old 05-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Senior Members

Dealer was down on his knees this morning!

Explanation for all the sliver spray on the car was - it?s a silver grease that we use for brakes, he said.

They had apparently had another car standing close to mine, doing some brake work on that one.

He offered me a complete tune up of the car and would change the door panels / lether if he wasn?t able to clean it.

I told him that they seriously have to look into their routines and quality control.

He agreed <_<
Old 05-10-2004, 08:43 AM
stu
Members

Not so fortunate for me - it's going to be an insurance job . (I'm just anxious that some 17 year old oik is going to be sent round by the ins company and gash the car while he struggles alone to fit it- and my E60 will never be the same again.)

The dealer found a 1mm stone chip on the crack and claims that the stone impact caused the crack.

I really do think that there is an issue with theses "ultra thin" screens.There seems no real integrity to them . Now every little stone that hits it - it's likely to crack the whole screen.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a stone chip on my windscreen. Probably got it on my motorway journey on Sunday. Hopefully it won't develop into a crack but reading this post about thinner glass I'm not too sure now. I'll probably book it into my dealer to see if they can repair the stone chip before it gets worse. any ideas on cost to repair chips?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

I'm curious to know if those who get stone chips get turned away from windshield repair (epoxy) if they have the hud windshield... Since it has the middle membrane for the hud reflection, it seems to not be a standard repair job?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

To my great surprise, I got an invoice on the windshield today!

My dealer claims I have to pay 35% of 1000 USD ( cost of WS ).

They told me that they found a stone chip that caused the WS to crack in two different places. The only one I can remember was a small one far away from the cracks that got there afterwards! Eyewitnesses are available

I called the dealer immediately after the WS cracked ( within 15 min ).

Isn?t it wounderful, new car and warranty, and still has to pay?

What to do?

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield!