E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CPO Issue/Question - Steeing Wheel Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010 | 05:49 AM
Members

Hi All,

Took my 550i (CPO covered) in last week to have the steering column adjustment problem fixed under CPO. This is a problem that I've noticed a number of people have had where the column will either not adjust at all or adjust only every so often (which is what mine does). The dealer diagnosed it to be a problem with part number 61319159168 (Rep. set, center console switch. center) and said it was not covered under CPO ("per the computer"). They quote $904 for replacement. I asked why it was not covered by CPO given that the "steering" and "electrical" systems were listed as covered and he could not provide an explanation. He told me to call BMW customer service and inquire; they were of no use and directed me back to the service manager. I have a call into the service manager but wanted to hear from anyone who might be able to provide some advice before I talk with him. Any input is much appreciated!
Old 12-11-2010 | 09:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spike5494
Hi All,

Took my 550i (CPO covered) in last week to have the steering column adjustment problem fixed under CPO. This is a problem that I've noticed a number of people have had where the column will either not adjust at all or adjust only every so often (which is what mine does). The dealer diagnosed it to be a problem with part number 61319159168 (Rep. set, center console switch. center) and said it was not covered under CPO ("per the computer"). They quote $904 for replacement. I asked why it was not covered by CPO given that the "steering" and "electrical" systems were listed as covered and he could not provide an explanation. He told me to call BMW customer service and inquire; they were of no use and directed me back to the service manager. I have a call into the service manager but wanted to hear from anyone who might be able to provide some advice before I talk with him. Any input is much appreciated!
Sounds like the SA you dealt with was playing hard-ball OR was a rookie at the business of customer service. If I recall, CPO electronics coverage excludes Nav etc but not these sensors/switches, etc. Besides, I'd remind him/her, that the steering system presents a critical safety issue and should any failure occur your attorneys will hold HIM/HER personally responsible ... Afterall, you bought a BMW not a KIA!