E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A couple issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2020 530e xDrive
Model Year: 2020
Engine: Hybrid

Hey guys,

I've had my car for a few months now and have noticed a few things about it and am wondering if anybody else has had these issues.

First, there is this metallic clanking noise when I go over bumps... It kind of sounds like it's coming from the lower console area (around the shifter), but it's hard to pin point and may be up higher by the upper console panel (where the sunroof switches are). Has anybody heard anything like this before?

Second, my wiper appears to be far too close to the hood. The bigger plastic cover actually has a scuff on it from rubbing the bottom of the hood when it tucks away. My assumption is that it is NOT supposed to be like that. How close does it usually get to the hood?

Third, the sunroof makes sort of a popping noise most of the time when I go from tilt to close. It has also refused to auto close a few times when going from slid open to closed (anti-pinch I believe?).

I'm intending to bring it to the dealership in the next couple weeks to get my airbag recall taken care of and want to bring these up. The car is currently under the CPO warranty. Would these issues be covered by the CPO warranty?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin
Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by martattack' post='930760' date='Jul 2 2009, 10:19 AM
Hey guys,

I've had my car for a few months now and have noticed a few things about it and am wondering if anybody else has had these issues.

First, there is this metallic clanking noise when I go over bumps... It kind of sounds like it's coming from the lower console area (around the shifter), but it's hard to pin point and may be up higher by the upper console panel (where the sunroof switches are). Has anybody heard anything like this before?

Second, my wiper appears to be far too close to the hood. The bigger plastic cover actually has a scuff on it from rubbing the bottom of the hood when it tucks away. My assumption is that it is NOT supposed to be like that. How close does it usually get to the hood?

Third, the sunroof makes sort of a popping noise most of the time when I go from tilt to close. It has also refused to auto close a few times when going from slid open to closed (anti-pinch I believe?).

I'm intending to bring it to the dealership in the next couple weeks to get my airbag recall taken care of and want to bring these up. The car is currently under the CPO warranty. Would these issues be covered by the CPO warranty?

Thanks,
Martin
It sounds like the wiper arm just has to be adjusted so it won't contact the hood, the sunroof is a known issue and as for the clanking noise let the dealer find it!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by martattack' post='930760' date='Jul 2 2009, 10:19 AM
Hey guys,

I'm intending to bring it to the dealership in the next couple weeks to get my airbag recall taken care of and want to bring these up. The car is currently under the CPO warranty.
Would these issues be covered by the CPO warranty?

I had clanking noise coming from the sunroof area took me quiet a while to figure out it was coming from there. Most the time the sound came when the doors are slammed shut specially driver side. It turned out to be some issue with the trap mechanism in the sun roof. They taped it down instead of replacing it as the part ordering & install would have taken a while, anyways it's been 2 months and no noise so far plus I got a assurance from client adsvsr if it happens again they have it on file as my warranty is about to expire. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Martin
Old 07-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

You clanking noise and your wiper is likely to be one and the same issue - adjustment of the arm required. If your car has CPO, it should cover it no worries, as long as they cannot prove that the damage was made by you. I'm assuming this issue existed since the day you bought the car, so that's what you should tell your SA - this issue was there from the very beginning, you just didn't have the time to bring the car in.

Your sunroof issue is a common issue - I had it fixed under warranty. You should mention that you (LEARN THE FOLLOWING BY HEART!) "have read on various forums that these symptoms mean that the sunroof seals are faulty". Also, PRESS (I mean, hardcore press) the SA to check the sunroof drains while the techs are there. In the case of the drains, its just a maintenance issue, but improperly maintained sunroof drains lead to serious electrical equipment failures (has been known to affect the whole ECU!!!), so it is very important that they are clean. Since your car's sunroof will be under scrutiny at the dealer anyway, you might as well make them check and clean the sunroof drains (if you must, lie to them and tell them you've noticed moisture accumulate in the floor behind the driver's seat after rain, but I'd steer around that). If your SA says that they can't authorize to check the drains without duplicating the problem, tell him that you've read that those drains are not owner-servicable, which means that the only way ANY preventive work can be done is if they go in there - this should justfy the work order. If he still bitches, tell him you have no problem calling BMW of NA with him and making sure that they authorize the maintenance. If he asks why it is so important to you, tell him you don't want your car's electrical systems to fail with no warning and the car be rendered immovable because they are too lazy to check the drains.

Finally, use the search elaborately - all of this info is already here
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='933747' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:45 AM
You clanking noise and your wiper is likely to be one and the same issue - adjustment of the arm required. If your car has CPO, it should cover it no worries, as long as they cannot prove that the damage was made by you. I'm assuming this issue existed since the day you bought the car, so that's what you should tell your SA - this issue was there from the very beginning, you just didn't have the time to bring the car in.

Your sunroof issue is a common issue - I had it fixed under warranty. You should mention that you (LEARN THE FOLLOWING BY HEART!) "have read on various forums that these symptoms mean that the sunroof seals are faulty". Also, PRESS (I mean, hardcore press) the SA to check the sunroof drains while the techs are there. In the case of the drains, its just a maintenance issue, but improperly maintained sunroof drains lead to serious electrical equipment failures (has been known to affect the whole ECU!!!), so it is very important that they are clean. Since your car's sunroof will be under scrutiny at the dealer anyway, you might as well make them check and clean the sunroof drains (if you must, lie to them and tell them you've noticed moisture accumulate in the floor behind the driver's seat after rain, but I'd steer around that). If your SA says that they can't authorize to check the drains without duplicating the problem, tell him that you've read that those drains are not owner-servicable, which means that the only way ANY preventive work can be done is if they go in there - this should justfy the work order. If he still bitches, tell him you have no problem calling BMW of NA with him and making sure that they authorize the maintenance. If he asks why it is so important to you, tell him you don't want your car's electrical systems to fail with no warning and the car be rendered immovable because they are too lazy to check the drains.

Finally, use the search elaborately - all of this info is already here
Then watch the SA go into submission