E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter to the prevailing view on the forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

I read so many threads about problem behaviors on this car, largely blamed on the system programming. But, I have to say that I've not experienced any of these things - CD player stops and restarts at the same place, environmental control holds all the settings while the car is off, radio works all the time, MP3s play ok, etc. It is strange to me that there could be so many differences between individual cars. Perhaps the system are so complex that the interaction of all the various options lead to unpredictability. In my business (complex digital integrated circuit development) we identify these types of problems as failures to complete comprehensive validation before product release.

Things might work well for me because I have few options that connect to the cabin computer system... I think the only non-standard item I have are the rear window shade, which only requires the additional operation of one button on the driver's door console and the very common sport package.

Now, to my point - One would guess that BMW validates the basic operations most thoroughly... Do all you owners have a sense that more issues is correlated to more installed options?

Just wondering... Jon.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not BMW itself, but also part suppliers. i-Drive program is written by the third party and the same holds true for sensors and other electrical/electronic parts.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='225538' date='Jan 17 2006, 03:12 PM
It's not BMW itself, but also part suppliers. i-Drive program is written by the third party and the same holds true for sensors and other electrical/electronic parts.
True!
Also dealers and how serious are they when it comes to customer treating...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I suspect you're absolutely right. You've got a 2006 model though, so I would hope that some of the issues that affected the early 04's and later models would have been worked out by now. Glad to see that seems to be the case for you.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='225528' date='Jan 17 2006, 11:57 AM
I read so many threads about problem behaviors on this car, largely blamed on the system programming. But, I have to say that I've not experienced any of these things - CD player stops and restarts at the same place, environmental control holds all the settings while the car is off, radio works all the time, MP3s play ok, etc. It is strange to me that there could be so many differences between individual cars. Perhaps the system are so complex that the interaction of all the various options lead to unpredictability. In my business (complex digital integrated circuit development) we identify these types of problems as failures to complete comprehensive validation before product release.

Things might work well for me because I have few options that connect to the cabin computer system... I think the only non-standard item I have are the rear window shade, which only requires the additional operation of one button on the driver's door console and the very common sport package.

Now, to my point - One would guess that BMW validates the basic operations most thoroughly... Do all you owners have a sense that more issues is correlated to more installed options?

Just wondering... Jon.
Two things about BMW problems (perceived or otherwise):

1. USER ERROR. Some of these problems are due simply to user-error. Many people are techno-phobic, lazy, uninformed (i.e. not reading the manual), or just plain confused. Of course some of this must be blamed on BMW - they violated the number one rule in mass-marketing: K.I.S.S., as in Keep It Simple Stupid.

2. SAMPLING BIAS. Most people who posts on forums like this one only do so to vent about the problems that they do have encountered. There is an inherent response bias for problem issues.

Many, many people who own, drive, and use BMWs and who also read and participate in forums (like this one) never bother to post positive or non-problematic events. I mean, seriously, how interesting would a post that started off something like this be? "Yeah, today, I had another trouble free day with my 545i. Started her up and lo and behold the engine purred like it was supposed to and when I went to turn on the A/C, cold air came out of the vents!"

Cheers.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='225543

Just wondering... Jon.
Two things about BMW problems (perceived or otherwise):

1. USER ERROR. Some of these problems are due simply to user-error. Many people are techno-phobic, lazy, uninformed (i.e. not reading the manual), or just plain confused. Of course some of this must be blamed on BMW - they violated the number one rule in mass-marketing: K.I.S.S., as in Keep It Simple Stupid.

2. SAMPLING BIAS. Most people who posts on forums like this one only do so to vent about the problems that they do have encountered. There is an inherent response bias for problem issues.

Many, many people who own, drive, and use BMWs and who also read and participate in forums (like this one) never bother to post positive or non-problematic events. I mean, seriously, how interesting would a post that started off something like this be? "Yeah, today, I had another trouble free day with my 545i. Started her up and lo and behold the engine purred like it was supposed to and when I went to turn on the A/C, cold air came out of the vents!"

Cheers.
[/quote]
Old 01-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

I didn't have a single problem wit hthe car so far, but I only had it for 3 weeks! :-)
Old 01-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='225528' date='Jan 17 2006, 02:57 PM

Just wondering... Jon.
I thoroughly agree, but with no empirical proof. Your seasoned logic was exactly what I used to purchase my vehicle. I have always felt that the more "stuff" I had added on meant the greater the possibly for problems arising later on.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

As with any other forum about any other product in the world, you only hear about things when they go wrong, not when they are working. Everyone expects everything to be working 100% of the time, so that is the norm. When something goes wrong, its an event worth posting about.

No one's gonna start a thread on a random day when their Active Steering is working!
They only start talking about it when it doesn't work. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='225528' date='Jan 17 2006, 02:57 PM

Just wondering... Jon.

Yours and mine are similarly optioned and were built at about the same time... mine is also doing great. (knock on wood)

Quick Reply: Counter to the prevailing view on the forum