E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Could my ECU really be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a pretty unique problem that may warrant the dealer diagnostic. Just an aside, my wife's old FX35 had a similar issue where she lost the entire bank of coils on one side. Turns out that its a common problem on the car due to bad grounds from the factory. We lost a catalytic converter and nearly lost the ECU, but were spared the ECU when she shut the car off immediately. So with that, I'm wondering if it really is your ECU that has gone bad due to a grounding issue? Just a thought. It's definitely an ignition issue that will require some troubleshooting. Research the emissions coverage item posted by DanL above...you could possibly get the parts for free, at least...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Before dropping +1k on an ecu, have they tried temporarily replacing the Integrated Voltage Supply Module (IVM)? Heck, does the 2010 even have it? It would be the black box with fuses on it located by the ecu in the ebox enclosure. It would be worth a shot to see if the IVM is faulty.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Before dropping +1k on an ecu, have they tried temporarily replacing the Integrated Voltage Supply Module (IVM)? Heck, does the 2010 even have it? It would be the black box with fuses on it located by the ecu in the ebox enclosure. It would be worth a shot to see if the IVM is faulty.

All told I've dropped $3784.81
. FOR AN ENGINE MISFIRE!!!!!

I picked up my car yesterday. Still misfiring. It's too long to get into now, but I'm taking it back to my tuning shop today. Thankfully that work is comp'd - I'll update the thread later tonight when I get my car back (again)
Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by ronmexico
All told I've dropped $3784.81
. FOR AN ENGINE MISFIRE!!!!!

I picked up my car yesterday. Still misfiring. It's too long to get into now, but I'm taking it back to my tuning shop today. Thankfully that work is comp'd - I'll update the thread later tonight when I get my car back (again)
Typical of a $tealership doing guesswork on the pocketbook of some poor soul who is convinced BMW is king. It's all about marketing!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Typical of a $tealership doing guesswork on the pocketbook of some poor soul who is convinced BMW is king. It's all about marketing!
I'm not sure you really read the thread at all. The problem is that the dealer never looked at what I asked them to. I don't trust them at all, but they refused to fix the problems I asked them to fix. How does that make me some yuppy who thinks they're king?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:07 PM
New Members

BUUUUUUMP

(I updated the 1st post)
Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

Please post an update after they replace the cats. I have a bad feeling that's not the cause since I'm pretty sure plugged or bad cats will throw cat efficiency codes. Even if it is and they're plugged, something caused them to go bad at only 75K miles. Perhaps the #5 injector was stuck open and dumping raw fuel into the cylinder and that's what caused them to go bad.

I hope the cats were the problem and your nightmare is over. Once it is, write a nice, professional letter to BMW NA about your ordeal and see if they'll cover some of the costs.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by DanL
Please post an update after they replace the cats. I have a bad feeling that's not the cause since I'm pretty sure plugged or bad cats will throw cat efficiency codes. Even if it is and they're plugged, something caused them to go bad at only 75K miles. Perhaps the #5 injector was stuck open and dumping raw fuel into the cylinder and that's what caused them to go bad.

I hope the cats were the problem and your nightmare is over. Once it is, write a nice, professional letter to BMW NA about your ordeal and see if they'll cover some of the costs.
Is that something that can happen? I didn't expect that I'd be able to get any of my money back short of taking the dealer to civil court. The whole thing just seems like "bait and switch" to me. And most people who are privy to the details as well. I do plan on following up with BMW NA, the lady I talked to told me to get with her when it was done.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport

OP never mentioned the history of these 75k miles for 2010 car and i think this was the black box where this story began

Last edited by champaign777; 03-21-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by champaign777
OP never mentioned the history of these 75k miles for 2010 car and i think this was the black box where this story began

History like what? The car isn't neglected. Far from it. I'm not going to itemize all of the stuff I've done maintenance wise, but there aren't any lingering "problems". I treat my car better than most.

The issue is (and always was) pretty simple: even after a tuneup and service using OEM parts (from an indy shop) the cat and ecu were faulty. BMW didn't look at or diagnose those parts at all, and attributed the problem to things that were un-related. Likely because the car is out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Could my ECU really be bad?