E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cornering Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 M5 Saphire - All available options 2006 530i Mystic Blue - All available options for 06 2004 Ford Expedition - Boat hauler.

I just noticed my 535i has cornering lamps that come on and light up the corner as I turn. To be clear i am not referring to the adaptive lights that turn with the wheel, they also come on when i am in R. I have not been able to figure out what lights these are because they go off as soon as I push P and while it's not a good to leave the vehicle in R w/brake and get out to look, it's not even possible. As soon as I open the door the car goes into P automatically.

Anywho...My 06 530 does not does not have these lights. Does anyone know what/where they come from?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The cornering lights on your car are the "inner" bulbs of the four in the front. In other words, they are the ones that used to be the high beams on older models...
Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Not that I'm doubting Rudy the Great Sage, but that doesn't make sense to me. How are the inboard lights going to light up a corner? Seems more logical that it'd be a bulb actually at the corner. But if Rudy says it, then it must be so!

(I guess I really am doubting Rudy! )

[edit]
If I remember, I'll check mine this afternoon when I pull in the garage.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='601960' date='Jun 13 2008, 08:55 AM
The cornering lights on your car are the "inner" bulbs of the four in the front. In other words, they are the ones that used to be the high beams on older models...
+1 I have an LCI and the corner lights are the inner bulbs of the headlight. They also turn on briefly when you flip the turn signals.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='601977' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:26 AM
+1 I have an LCI and the corner lights are the inner bulbs of the headlight. They also turn on briefly when you flip the turn signals.
Seems like I recall reading in the 08 brochure that the cornering lamps are actually the fog lights. There is a device in the foglight that pivots when you signal or turn.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Go ahead doubters...have fun proving me wrong!!

Actually, what happens is that as soon as you turn the wheel or activate the turn signal at a slow speed, a hidden, sliding panel opens on the roof of the car and a telescoping arm (similar to the one on the space shuttle) with a flashlight on the end extends out over the car and illuminates the corner that you're about to drive around. It all happens so quickly that you actually never see the arm at all unless you are able to record it with super slow motion gear...
Old 06-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Rudy is correct. The fog lights just point straight ahead. The cornering lights do their thing based on the lens, reflector, and position of the bulb. The current Bi-Xenons have effectively no warm up time so they function as the flash-to-pass just fine (and better).
Old 06-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

I checked, and Rudy is right. There is an arm that... j/k Seriously, though, it really is the inboard lights. So basically, the lights are just along for a free ride 97% of the time. I remember my salesman told me that it was the fog lights.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='602520' date='Jun 14 2008, 09:11 AM

Actually, what happens is that as soon as you turn the wheel or activate the turn signal at a slow speed, a hidden, sliding panel opens on the roof of the car and a telescoping arm (similar to the one on the space shuttle) with a flashlight on the end extends out over the car and illuminates the corner that you're about to drive around. It all happens so quickly that you actually never see the arm at all unless you are able to record it with super slow motion gear...

I was wondering what that metal looking arm in my center console was for!!!!!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='602520' date='Jun 14 2008, 10:11 AM

I thought it was Thing from the Adam's Family with a flashlight...

Quick Reply: Cornering Lamps