E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Copy Key Settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Does anyone know how to copy one key's settings to the other? I'm particularly interested in the seat settings. I'm the only one who drives the car, usually, and would like a backup. For some reason it's difficult for me to find a comfortable posistion but when I finally find it, boy it's great. During my last visit at the dealer they screwed up my settings and I was pissed! So I'd like to backup my settings to the 2nd key. Problem is, when I put the 2nd key in the car the seat automatically moves to what's saved on the 2nd key. I realize I could use the 2nd key on dealer trips but I'm a big fan of having backups of backups of backups. Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about if you put your "regular" key in to make sure it's the exact position that you want it in. Then memorize that setting. Insert the second key, which will mess it all up of course, and while the key is in there press the memory button of the previous setting which should get it back to the way you like it. After you turn the car off it should have that setting in the second key, which, alas would be your backup.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The problem is, that the newer software has the memory settings of the seats in the key. So inserting the second key means, you can't get back to the position you stored in the seat memory, because it's in the other key...
Old 09-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

As far as I know both keys have their own memory settings. In other words you will have 4 memory settings for the drivers seat (2 for each key) and 4 for the passenger seat.

To be honest I haven't tried the second key on my car (yet) but this is what I have read on this forum before.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Members

Yes, that's how I understood that. 4 settings total. The key and memory settings are independent. Iceman, are you saying that has changed with one of the recent SW updates?
Old 09-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

With key one you have two memory settings for drivers seat and two for passenger seat.
With key two you have two for drivers seat and two for passenger seat.
I think the change was made with software version 12.
Before that you had two settings for driver seat and two for passenger seat, no matter what key you used.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 27 2004, 05:02 PM
With key one you have two memory settings for drivers seat and two for passenger seat.
With key two you have two for drivers seat and two for passenger seat.
I think the change was made with software version 12.
Before that you had two settings for driver seat and two for passenger seat, no matter what key you used.
[snapback]38683[/snapback]
Hmmm...I'm supposedly at 12.2 so I'll have to try that tonight to see if it still works like it used to or if it's changed like Iceman points out (not that I don't trust you Iceman, mind you )
Old 09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RH530' date='Sep 28 2004, 12:08 AM
(not that I don't trust you Iceman, mind you? ? )
[snapback]38687[/snapback]
No problem.
I don't have version 12 or higher, still 11 something. I just remember reading that in one of the threads...
And that would explain lomags problem, that he can't copy the settings.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 27 2004, 11:06 AM
As far as I know both keys have their own memory settings. In other words you will have 4 memory settings for the drivers seat (2 for each key) and 4 for the passenger seat.

To be honest I haven't tried the second key on my car (yet) but this is what I have read on this forum before.
[snapback]38650[/snapback]
i think you have to use the key to recharge the battery. the manual said we have to use the second key at least once in every three months.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

USe the seat memory. The buttons beside the seats. You have 3 of them. Use em. Then if someone screws up your key settings you can use the ones programmed into the seats.

Quick Reply: Copy Key Settings