E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Which coolant to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i | Sport Package | Auburn Interior | Silver Grey Metallic Exterior

Hello

I just got a message saying my coolant level is low. I have read to get BMW coolant but my closest BMW dealer is at least an hour away. Is there a quick temporary fix to put in my car for the time being. Also I read that you can put distilled water in, but right now the temps here in DFW are around freeing and don't want to take the chance. So is there a brand out there that I can go easily pick up a auto parts store somewhere to have a temporary fix till I can get to a BMW dealer to get their coolant.

Thanks all
Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

bathroom water

any water can solve the problemoo
later when u'll get the chance bleed it and put BMW coolant and leave some extra coolant for these situations
Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
bathroom water

any water can solve the problemoo
later when u'll get the chance bleed it and put BMW coolant and leave some extra coolant for these situations
Ah, I wouldn't do that if I were you. I'd use simple distilled water which you can buy at any local grocery store. You don't want chlorine, sodium, whatever is in your tap water introduced into the system.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

mines on also. only in the cold mornings tho. it seems to come on every few months. fill it then its gone till the next few months. do these cars eat coolant?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Members

I am in DFW area - Addison specifically - I have an extra gallon if you are close by and want it..

kpater1@yahoo.com
Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i | Sport Package | Auburn Interior | Silver Grey Metallic Exterior

Originally Posted by kpatter
I am in DFW area - Addison specifically - I have an extra gallon if you are close by and want it..

kpater1@yahoo.com
Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. Too bad I'm in north Fort Worth. I would put distilled water in but im afraid it will freeze in the current temps were getting now. Unless I'm just overreacting. Its currently 16 degress and dropping and its Texas. Can I put somthing else?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

He is in a area that is freezing right now so i would not recommend adding just water. Weather there is low of 14f and a high of 20f
Old 02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by yajimbo
Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. Too bad I'm in north Fort Worth. I would put distilled water in but im afraid it will freeze in the current temps were getting now. Unless I'm just overreacting. Its currently 16 degress and dropping and its Texas. Can I put somthing else?
just go to the local parts store they should be able to help you with the correct coolant. Buy premix if possible and just fill the reservoir until the float pops up..
Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

I'd still stick w/ distilled water and not using other coolant except BMW coolant.

You probably just need a little top off.

By topping off, it does not mean you are significantly changing the mixture % of coolant/water so you pretty much still have coolant in there.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by salaki
I'd still stick w/ distilled water and not using other coolant except BMW coolant.

You probably just need a little top off.

By topping off, it does not mean you are significantly changing the mixture % of coolant/water so you pretty much still have coolant in there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found a place that was close by that I could pick up some BMW coolant.

thanks all

Quick Reply: Which coolant to use?