E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Anyone know why they removed the temperature gauge from the instrument cluster? Am I blind?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' date='May 23 2005, 05:13 PM
Anyone know why they removed the temperature gauge from the instrument cluster?? Am I blind??
[snapback]132361[/snapback]
It's gone. We've often said that there should be a "vital signs" screen that could be selected on the CID. We can only hope...

Many people think the variable white lines on the tach act as a primitive temp gauge but I don't like to draw that parallel. The tach will never tell you if you're running hotter than normal, etc.

We really need to have a vital signs screen. They could show us voltage, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, etc.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 23 2005, 02:22 PM
[quote name='Spartacus_33' date='May 23 2005, 05:13 PM']Anyone know why they removed the temperature gauge from the instrument cluster?? Am I blind???
[snapback]132361[/snapback]
It's gone. We've often said that there should be a "vital signs" screen that could be selected on the CID. We can only hope...

Many people think the variable white lines on the tach act as a primitive temp gauge but I don't like to draw that parallel. The tach will never tell you if you're running hotter than normal, etc.

We really need to have a vital signs screen. They could show us voltage, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, etc.
[snapback]132374[/snapback]
[/quote]
I hate to admit it........ but during all my test driving of the E60 (14 months off and on) and all during my Euro Delivery... and for the first 3 weeks of driving here in the US.... I NEVER noticed that there wasn't a temperature gauge! Guess I was more concerned learning how everything worked and felt.

Vital signs screen would be a great addition. Also a little more cabin storage wouldn't hurt!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Would gladly trade the useless MPG meter for a Water Temp gauge on my '05 530i.

Martin
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by turnbowm' date='May 23 2005, 10:57 PM
Would gladly trade the useless MPG meter for a Water Temp gauge on my '05 530i.

Martin
[snapback]132520[/snapback]
Many people don't know but BMW water temp guages have been nothing more than glorified idiots lights for many years. The guage is programmed to remain in the center all the time, unless there is an extreme temperature one way or the other...it doesn't give a true reading of termperature. But I'd sure love to have a guage screen on the LCD showing REAL oil temp, pressure, water temp, voltage, and ?????
Old 05-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My previous '99 540 had the temperature gauge. Anybody know why they did away with it?? Something to do with the i-drive maybe??
Old 05-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Guys, it is not about water temp gauge, that is useless. The water is hot in a very few minutes. As to the performance and engine situation OIL TEMP is the most important.

Water temp doesn't mean much. It is about OIL temp - warm (hot) oil is good for the engine. The car should not be driven to high revs and extreme performance untill the oil is hot.

I used to drive Audi with both, water and oil temp gauge. The water temp gets warm in 2 minutes so you would think you can race but the oil takes much longer to warm up.

My friend had a brutal extreme Audi RS4 MTM and he always warmed the car up for about an hour before going racing
Old 05-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think that after Oil pressure, Oil temp is the next most important vital sign. The M-cars all seem to have oil temp gauges -- does the E60 M5 have one instead of the instant MPG gauge?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 24 2005, 03:36 PM
I think that after Oil pressure, Oil temp is the next most important vital sign.? The M-cars all seem to have oil temp gauges -- does the E60 M5 have one instead of the instant MPG gauge?
[snapback]132806[/snapback]

Yes, the M5 does have the oil temp gauge instead the MPG.
(there are some pics in the M5 section)
Old 05-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='May 24 2005, 06:48 AM
Many people don't know but BMW water temp guages have been nothing more than glorified idiots lights for many years.? The guage is programmed to remain in the center all the time, unless there is an extreme temperature one way or the other...it doesn't give a true reading of termperature.?
[snapback]132545[/snapback]
Not just BMW - standard industry practice. On my TT (and other Audi cars) you can pull up the actual coolant temp via the air con display - makes this center weighting very obvious!

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature Gauge