E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Low Warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have had my coolant low indicator go off 4 times since August and Everytime I bring it to the dealer, they say this is normal and because it is an 8 cylinder it runs hot. That was the explanation they are giving as to why i keep emtying my overflow tank. I would like to know if any one else here has experienced this issue. Oh...By the way, the car is a 2005 545i with 50,000 miles. It is under the CPO warranty as well.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 X3 LCI

Hi, I've had my car for 3 years and it's happened once. I filled up and that was it. Not sure it's supposed to do that four times since August? Welcome to the forums by the way!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by as300z' post='1062358' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:04 AM
Hi all,

I have had my coolant low indicator go off 4 times since August and Everytime I bring it to the dealer, they say this is normal and because it is an 8 cylinder it runs hot. That was the explanation they are giving as to why i keep emtying my overflow tank. I would like to know if any one else here has experienced this issue. Oh...By the way, the car is a 2005 545i with 50,000 miles. It is under the CPO warranty as well.

Thanks
That is total BS. I had something similiar happen with my 2004 545i. I took mine to an independent shop, they found the problem and I haven't had a coolant problem since it was fixed (July). It turned out to be a coolant leak on the back side of the engine (valley pan gasket). I don't have a CPO warranty BTW.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Members

Thanks for the replies so far! I'm thinking this is much more than they are disclosing. The good part is the car just started the CPO warranty. if any one else has info on what this may be, please post it for me. This forum ROCKS. Everyone on here is quick to respond and are full of info.
Thanks Again.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

Could be (valley pan gasket) as sotic1 found in his car.

I have the same happened in e39 540i. When it starts, you got low coolant warning every 2+ months.... the length of time keep reduce until around 2 weeks.... Dealer talking bull shit that it is normal and they did pressurized coolant checking.... It still under under warranty by that time and I guess it needs to be "the machine tell them lost pressure" before they can do the service.

When car hit 80K miles.... I did a coolant system revamp ... I did open the top of V-block.... and found that leak in the Valley Pan gasket. Replace that as well..... and I never see Coolant warning until I sold the car at 170K miles.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

BTW, when there is minor leak in valley pan gasket, since it is so hot there. The coolant just vaporized, it will take long time until you will see some coolant drip from back of engine area.... ( Mine drip from clutch housing which causing some funny clutch friction feeling. )

I found in e39 engine, if you open the top plastic cover, and use a flashlight. You can see some leak evidence through inlets and fuel injection rail. I am not sure you cans see it in e60 V8 or not.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Members

Im having the same problem.. Im out of Warranty but everytime it says coolant low, my dealership guy tops it off.. It keeps happening every month. I need t get it fixed
Old 11-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

You know, when I got the car it did this too. I topped it off at the resevoir and about 3 months later got the same warning. So i topped it off again. That was about a month ago. I just topped it off with distilled water since it was just a small amount. I'm wondering if I have a leak as well. I changed the spark plugs at 80K and didn't notice anything leaking at all. I was about to do a cooling system drain/fill soon anyway. I figured it was evaporating the water portion of the 50/50 antifreeze mix. Since it runs hot in Florida I figured it wasn't really an issue. Where is this valley pan at?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1063351' date='Nov 26 2009, 08:06 PM
You know, when I got the car it did this too. I topped it off at the resevoir and about 3 months later got the same warning. So i topped it off again. That was about a month ago. I just topped it off with distilled water since it was just a small amount. I'm wondering if I have a leak as well. I changed the spark plugs at 80K and didn't notice anything leaking at all. I was about to do a cooling system drain/fill soon anyway. I figured it was evaporating the water portion of the 50/50 antifreeze mix. Since it runs hot in Florida I figured it wasn't really an issue. Where is this valley pan at?
1 week later and I had the warning light go on again. Calling the dealer tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Members

I had the same problem took my car to an independent shop and they fixed it. There was leak around the sensor and the shop replaced the o-ring around the sensor and have no leak. If you have a good independent mechanic they will put it on the lift remove the under cover and show you the leak. It took 10 mins to fix.

Quick Reply: Coolant Low Warning