E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Coolant Level Too Low" Water Pump issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 BMW 530i

Hello guys:

It was a good sunday afternoon today, until I took out my e60 to a friends house. A few blocks before I got to her house, I get this error msg on my iDrive "Coolant Level Too Low" and I read the whole msg, it reads "Turn off car to avoid damage to engine, top off coolant (or something simlar to that)".

When I turned off the car and popped open the hood, I saw water between the front (radiator) to the motor in the top-mid. I belive that's where the water pump is at... Did my water pump f**** up? I used the search button and have come to assume that it is the water pump.

The car has 81,XXX miles on it. I left the car at her house. Maybe tomorrow, sign up for BMW-Assist and get the car towed to the dealer or my house.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sjzking408' post='1060611' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:45 AM
Hello guys:
It was a good sunday afternoon today, until I took out my e60 to a friends house. A few blocks before I got to her house, I get this error msg on my iDrive "Coolant Level Too Low" and I read the whole msg, it reads "Turn off car to avoid damage to engine, top off coolant (or something simlar to that)".
When I turned off the car and popped open the hood, I saw water between the front (radiator) to the motor in the top-mid. I belive that's where the water pump is at... Did my water pump f**** up? I used the search button and have come to assume that it is the water pump.
The car has 81,XXX miles on it. I left the car at her house. Maybe tomorrow, sign up for BMW-Assist and get the car towed to the dealer or my house.
Bummer ... Could be simpler / cheaper if it's a hose ... or a bit more expensive if it's the radiator.

When I have had V-8 BMWs water pumps weren't problems like the 6cyl cars.

In any case if your belts haven't been replaced order that up while they're in there. You're about 20K miles north of their service life.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

My guess is a leak from the coolant resvoir.

sixcard
Old 11-23-2009, 04:16 AM
Contributors

The lower coolant hose to the radiator is notorious for leaks. That would be my 1st guess. Next guess would be the radiator itself. We just changed this on our 06 530i at 75k.
I would try running it with water and see if you can locate the leak.
Raj
Old 11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

i would let the car cool down...then top off the coolant...after topping it up...get a pressure tester to see if you find any leaks or hear any leaks..it could be a small leak that was spraying every where or it could be something bigger like your water pump or radiater....sounds to me like a water pump i have replaced mine already not because it was leaking but because the water pump bearings were loose and that is a sign of a water pump starting to die...i would get a trustworthy mechanic that knows our cars... or be prepared to pay a pretty penny if it is something big from the dealer....good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
bzq
Members

Is it 545 or 550? If yes It coud be leak form inside the block, there is a pipe with o ring.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Members

thanks for all the replies guys! I appreciate the help! Tomorrow, I am going to check all the hoses, coolant resvoir, and also as others have suggested, going to put water in the radiator to see where it's leaking from...

Where can I find the cap to the radiator to put water/anti-freeze.

@ bzq: It's a 530i.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:41 AM
Contributors

There is no cap . You fill from the coolant resevoir or atleast on my 06 530i.
Raj
Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Check the hoses before you start jumping to any conclusions, like other wise men said My money's on the return hose
Old 11-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Members

Today, I poured about half a gallon of anti-freeze into the coolant resevoir and noticed it was slightly dripping from underneath the motor. Now there are two hoses going to the bottom of the motor, I believe one from the radiator... now under the motor, there is a black cover... I cannot tell where it's leaking from... or which hose? but I do see small drips leaking from underneath the motor when I am looking from the top (with the hood open.)

I am assuming from one of those hoses that are going to the bottome of the motor. Now it was slightly dripping not a whole lot, so I am guessing since I didn't turn the motor on, that's why there was a small leak instead of a bigger leak or the water/coolant leaking rapidly... maybe theres some air in there...

What you guys think? If I was to jack the car up on the stands, how do i remove that black cover?

What should I do at this point? try to figure out the problem myself or tow it to the dealer?

Thanks to all for the replies! Your input is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: "Coolant Level Too Low" Water Pump issue?