E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant leak in resevoir in 545i

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

I was waiting for Don to finish up on my rear light tint when we noticed water under my car. Thought it was water from the AC. With further inspection it looked blue and was all over the street. Popped the hood and noticed dripping somewhere near the resevoir. I was thinking the worst, maybe a busted pipe or cracked hose in hard to reach places. Luckily, it was a crack in the resevoir. So we got in my buddy's M3 and sped to a nearby dealership. Purchased the resevoir tank and some coolant (total: $159). Then bought distilled water and torque screwdriver at Ace hardware ($30).
We then proceeded to do the unthinkable and try to fix it ourselves. It seemed pretty easy, just two torque screws to remove and 3 hoses to remove as well as the sensor. The toughest part was removing the hoses as they have been attached for 4-5 years now. Added coolant to resevoir and crossed fingers. After 45 minutes of labor... success. A new resevoir installed and NO LEAKS!!! Anyone know what this might cost at dealership?
Don also did a great job with the tint (will show pics in a different post).
Old 11-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Krav E60
I was waiting for Don to finish up on my rear light tint when we noticed water under my car. Thought it was water from the AC. With further inspection it looked blue and was all over the street. Popped the hood and noticed dripping somewhere near the resevoir. I was thinking the worst, maybe a busted pipe or cracked hose in hard to reach places. Luckily, it was a crack in the resevoir. So we got in my buddy's M3 and sped to a nearby dealership. Purchased the resevoir tank and some coolant (total: $159). Then bought distilled water and torque screwdriver at Ace hardware ($30).
We then proceeded to do the unthinkable and try to fix it ourselves. It seemed pretty easy, just two torque screws to remove and 3 hoses to remove as well as the sensor. The toughest part was removing the hoses as they have been attached for 4-5 years now. Added coolant to resevoir and crossed fingers. After 45 minutes of labor... success. A new resevoir installed and NO LEAKS!!! Anyone know what this might cost at dealership?
Don also did a great job with the tint (will show pics in a different post).
The coolant reservoir leaks are very common with BMWs ... the replacements are usually easy except you get "hosed" by the price of replacement parts. I have replaced numerous tanks on my e28s e32s e38s and if I keep this e60 past 60k miles will expect to do the same.

I have long recommended that BMW source its plastic parts from more reputable suppliers -- maybe from China or Japan