E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coolant leak from overflow hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Bimmer Fan

Never gave copper a thought ... Do u think it would last longer than aluminum is why u went that route ? Curious why u went with cooper,,, instead of aluminum
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H F
Bimmer Fan

Never gave copper a thought ... Do u think it would last longer than aluminum is why u went that route ? Curious why u went with cooper,,, instead of aluminum
I had preventive maintenance of the coolant system on my mind when my alternator started pumping 17V. Can't let that go on too long or else circuits starting turning to putty, so I ordered up a new Valeo alternator.

Then I looked at everything that had to come off the engine to wrench out the alternator and decided that was a splendid time to do the coolant system PM.

When I pulled off the vent tube and examined it I saw that each end of the plastic tube had brass inserts that fit into the ID of the plastic tube to prevent the plastic tube from collapsing when the clamp was applied. That is probably what got me thinking about brass or copper.

The copper tubing at Ace Hdwe was available in a number of different sizes in 1/16" increments so I went with the copper.

Regarding longevity of aluminum, if the coolant doesn't attack the aluminum engine I can't see where it would attack the aluminum tubing, even given some difference in the aluminum alloy. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i 6spd and 2000 Lexus GS300

Dammit I was just skimming through and of course I see coolant leak is for a 545i lol. I just got one -.-
Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 545i

So I just started up the car and got a weird whirring noise. I looked in the engine bay and and noticed that the bottom cover in front of the motor was wet. Could that be coolant? I opened the coolant cap and although it seemed really low, I never got a low coolant message. I'm going to buy some coolant from the dealership tomorrow to top it off, and hopefully be able to drive it to 20 miles over to a recommended bmw mechanic.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

The long brittle plastic tube runs from the expansion tank, atop the radiator (under the metal shield), to the right side. Because it is plastic and housed atop a very hot radiator underneath a nice metal shield, the tube is prone to heat rot and breakage.