E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Controversy: First Year Models the Best?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Loge' post='728633' date='Nov 22 2008, 02:03 PM
Thought I would pose a question that can only be answered by opinion, often incomplete research, or individual ownership experience!

I am taking the "reverse logic" view that the FIRST YEAR a new model is introduced should be an equal or better repair record year than subsequent model years.

How could this be?? Because maybe a new design has indeed been tested long enough in the design studio and test tracks before its release. And maybe because the assembly line personel are under an even closer scrutiny to not assemble a "recall disaster" the first MY. And then if there's flaws or assessory upgrades that are supposed to be corrections or additions in subsequent MY's, whose to say their realiability will be any better? Whose to say cars won't be assembled more carelessly in later MY's? (complacency)

I have owned three new or used automobiles from the first MY and cannot see problems greater than cars owned from later MY reports......but this is obviously a narrow and biased analysis.

I guess the Consumer Reports data on "reliability of used vehicles" would also tend to refute my thesis. Anyone have an opinion on this?
History and experience tends to show that the the early model years are typically some of the least reliable and that the last model year of a particular vehicle is about as good as it gets. You'll almost certainly find fewer manufacturing defects in a final year E39s than a first model year E60. Manufacturers do indeed test extensively before release, but in cars as complex as the E60, it's almost inevitable that early adopters are, to some degree, likely to experience more issues as some of the problems won't come to light until the cars are out in the wild.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='729053' date='Nov 23 2008, 11:22 AM
...but remember the 84 Corvette was technically light years ahead of the 82 Corvette
The 83 though was arguably one of the best years in the 80's for Corvette. Sitting right between new model anomalies and the wondrous cross-fire injection who could argue

On a thread relevant note, my .02 on this is that first year models tend to be less reliable in the electronics department more than anything. I've had 3 first year models now 93 Passat GLX VR6, great engine but holy Shitzu batman that electrical system was a nightmare. For example and I'm not exaggerating here, if you were opening the electric moonroof and pressing the horn at the same time it blew fuses and relays all over the place and the car would basically shut off. My 04 530i is my 3rd first year line but aside from some minor items seems good so far. Mind you there are somethings I don't think anyone will argue with: bluetooth issue, mp3 CD player and a list of small non critical things that seems to have been worked out later on. I'm not arguing though, at least the sunroof and horn like each other enough.

Steve
Old 11-24-2008, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

An interesting post. I see it both ways.

If you look at the E65 7 series cars, one would tend to think you might be mistaken. Those cars were a disaster, which is why BMW went ahead and certified all '02 cars to give the added warranty due to their profound troubles.

However, you are correct in one respect. I play golf with a guy who was an engineer for Ford. He said that when Ford releases a new vehicle, after year two, they spend their time trying to figure out how to get the costs out of the car - meaning, a year or two after its released, they then try to start chintzing on the build quality to increase their profit margin after the reviews are in. To that extent, you might be correct.

I think there are good cars and crap cars in most model years. Scary, eh?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Having a car "tested" by the end-user/consumer almost always results in the manufacturer learning about things they didn't foresee or discover in initial (pre-release) testing. That said, mechanically speaking, first-year cars are much more reliable these days than they were in the past since the advent of computer modeling and testing.

That said, I think the key ingredient that's not being addressed specifically is that of software. Today's cars (not just our E60s) are much more reliant on software and programmable electronic modules. As we all know (especially those of us that use Microsoft products ), early software versions almost always contain bugs and/or inefficiencies in the code. Again, these bugs can often only be discovered through real-world testing by a large sample of end-users so it's tough to get things right with the initial release.

I've had two E60s now, one was a first-year car (with an SMG transmission produced during the first week of availability) and one is an LCI car (with a SAT produced during the first week of availability) and mechanically, both cars were solid. The main issues I had were always addressed through a software update or an electronic part swap that was usually an updated component...