E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Controversial - bigger 5-ers need Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

You don't need a Quattro, all you need is the x-drive
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='365482' date='Dec 9 2006, 06:31 PM
Rear wheel drive is great in the dry, but IMHO not enough traction for cold, wet and muddy roads.

Going cross country last two weekends was unable to slam in full power for the lightning quick overtaking moves possible in the summer. Even with "just" a 530d the traction would come on in kick down - (a) this depowers rather than grips and (b) don't like relying fully on computer to keep the car in line (roads here too narrow to consider any over-steer!). Instead had to go at 75% with manual selection to minimise inopportune kick-downs. A 535d would have been a tip-toe job, even without snow to worry about.

Sorry guys, but on the wet roads I would have been able to slam down full power in my previous 4wd and gotten there quicker, safer and with more fun. Sadly no x/4wd models available here - come on BMW !

As our European forum friends rightly point out, we in the U.S. are trying to solve your winter traction problems with massive increases in carbon emissions. The Chinese are wanting to help too. So not so fast on the Quattro theories. Of course when the Greenland ice sheets fall into the Altantic and disrupt the warm Ocean current flows to Europe, the resultant ice age will no doubt prompt BMW to abandon RWD for AWD accross the board. So you have a couple of choices.

CVT Benhogan :'(
Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='365482' date='Dec 10 2006, 12:31 AM
Sadly no x/4wd models available here - come on BMW !
Can't you order a x???

Just try out the 530i/d x-model!

PS. Santa does nice with only RWD.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Members

Agree BM need a 4 wheel drive over here, particularly as we are so poor at coping with bad weather.

Try driving a DMS tuned 535d in the wet. Tried to follow a friend home the other day in the rain. He had a new shape Impreza Turbo, I should have been all over him, not a chance as I couldn't get any traction.

I like driving the Mrs Audi at this time of year for this very reason !

The Lotus is not much fun in this weather even in the dry as tyres don't grip in these low temperatures !
Old 12-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='365482' date='Dec 9 2006, 11:31 PM
Rear wheel drive is great in the dry, but IMHO not enough traction for cold, wet and muddy roads.

Going cross country last two weekends was unable to slam in full power for the lightning quick overtaking moves possible in the summer. Even with "just" a 530d the traction would come on in kick down - (a) this depowers rather than grips and (b) don't like relying fully on computer to keep the car in line (roads here too narrow to consider any over-steer!). Instead had to go at 75% with manual selection to minimise inopportune kick-downs. A 535d would have been a tip-toe job, even without snow to worry about.

Sorry guys, but on the wet roads I would have been able to slam down full power in my previous 4wd and gotten there quicker, safer and with more fun. Sadly no x/4wd models available here - come on BMW !

Then get an Audi!
On the snow with a RWD you must go slowly!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Originally Posted by 535dBoy' post='366572' date='Dec 12 2006, 01:57 PM
Agree BM need a 4 wheel drive over here, particularly as we are so poor at coping with bad weather.

Try driving a DMS tuned 535d in the wet. Tried to follow a friend home the other day in the rain. He had a new shape Impreza Turbo, I should have been all over him, not a chance as I couldn't get any traction.

I like driving the Mrs Audi at this time of year for this very reason !

The Lotus is not much fun in this weather even in the dry as tyres don't grip in these low temperatures !
You've surely died and gone to heaven - some class having a Lotus Elise, Quattro Convertible and a 535d.
Nice choices. All you need now is a DB9 !
Old 12-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

How does the Elise handle in the snow and ice?????
Old 12-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Wonder what our parents did with no X-Drive or Front Wheel Drive?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='365494' date='Dec 9 2006, 11:55 PM
I'm not saying I disagree with you but do you think your tires may also have been a factor?
Agreed. new-kid, I'm in Scotland as well and always fit winter tyres at this time of the year. The difference is incredible, the increased grip is remarkable.

The main factor for me is the constant lack of temps reaching about 7 degrees - the magical mark for summer tyres. When its below that (which is most of the time as you know ) the winter tyres make a huge difference. And when it does snow, the biggest advantage for me is the braking, which 4wd isn't going to help.

This year I had to import mine from tirerack in the states!

All that being said, as my 535d is in the bmw garage at the moment, I'm using the CSL on summer tyres, which hasn't been very nice with the weather we've been having :'(
Old 12-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='366665' date='Dec 12 2006, 11:11 PM
You've surely died and gone to heaven - some class having a Lotus Elise, Quattro Convertible and a 535d.
Nice choices. All you need now is a DB9 !

That would be my ultimate dream.......

Quick Reply: Controversial - bigger 5-ers need Quattro