E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arm bushing bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleB
^ brake backing plate. its supposed to have those contours.

check your wheel balance.
What kids of wheel balance do I need? my tries have 30k miles on them.... I talked to some indy shop, they said they will only do road force on new tires and not on old ones... they said they can do conventional wheel balance on old tires.... does that sound rite ?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver 550i: Orion V2 - LCI Tail Lights - VRM 710 (Powder Coated Matt Black) - Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust - Painted Brake Calipers (Red) - Painted Rear MTEC Kit (Black) - Window Tint (Windshield 70% - All other Windows 55% - Smoked Side Markers
Model Year: 2007

Go to any tire shop. Ask them to balance your front wheels. It could very well be a balancing issue. Rule that out first. Dealer is mistaken about a bushing not leaking. There is no leak that comes from a bushing. Now on the boot on the other side of the control arm can leak if it lost its seal. Balance your wheels and have the tire shop look at your bushings while your tires arr off. They are easily visable behind the rotor. Mine were bad at 60k. It all depends on how you drive your car, when the bshings give.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:27 PM
RTR
Members

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
Go to any tire shop. Ask them to balance your front wheels. It could very well be a balancing issue. Rule that out first. Dealer is mistaken about a bushing not leaking. There is no leak that comes from a bushing. Now on the boot on the other side of the control arm can leak if it lost its seal. Balance your wheels and have the tire shop look at your bushings while your tires arr off. They are easily visable behind the rotor. Mine were bad at 60k. It all depends on how you drive your car, when the bshings give.
+1 on the balancing.

But e60 control arm bushings are fluid filled and can indeed leak.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by RTR
+1 on the balancing.

But e60 control arm bushings are fluid filled and can indeed leak.
So I drove the car for 1 day after wheel balancing...it has improved significantly but it's still there above 65Mph...the steering wheel goes left and right..... what next now ?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by fatboysam
.. what next now ?
put the car on a lift, have a look at all of your suspension components. especially front tension strut bushings where they connect to the subframe. at 60K, they're probably worn out.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
put the car on a lift, have a look at all of your suspension components. especially front tension strut bushings where they connect to the subframe. at 60K, they're probably worn out.
Do I really need a ramp for this OR I can work with Rhino ramp from link below:

Amazon.com: RhinoGear 11909 RhinoRamps Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 12,000lb. GVW Capacity): Automotive Amazon.com: RhinoGear 11909 RhinoRamps Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 12,000lb. GVW Capacity): Automotive
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

you need the car on a proper two post lift so you can grab each wheel, move it back and forth, and see what, if anything, is worn out. you can certainly see everything with the car on ramps, but i like to be able to wiggle each wheel by hand. everyone does things differently though.

i would strongly suggest finding an independent mechanic you trust, and pay him a few dollars to put the car on a lift and check your suspension for you. let me preface this by saying i do not mean any disrespect by this...but if you are not aware that a brake backing plate is supposed to look like that, you won't know what you're looking for with regard to your suspension components, and diagnosing your issue is likely beyond your mechanical abilities.

good luck with the car, please update this thread when you solve your problem, as it will help others in the future when they encounter a similar issue.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530xi, 3.0L I6, 6-spd Automatic, 255 hp; 2011 Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6, Direct Injection, 6-spd Automatic, 312 hp

BMW dealership just inspected my 07 530xi ( 93,000 miles) and indeed the lower fluid-filled front suspension control arm bushings were said to have cracks in them. A weakness in this car.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Car_Almond
BMW dealership just inspected my 07 530xi ( 93,000 miles) and indeed the lower fluid-filled front suspension control arm bushings were said to have cracks in them. A weakness in this car.
What are the symptoms you were having while you were driving?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530xi, 3.0L I6, 6-spd Automatic, 255 hp; 2011 Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6, Direct Injection, 6-spd Automatic, 312 hp

Originally Posted by fatboysam
What are the symptoms you were having while you were driving?
Car does have a slight vibration of the steering wheel that I thought was a little front brake rotors warping, a typical condition. I'm not sure if the control arm bushings are really leaking yet, so the vibration might be brake rotors after all. Other than that, car feels just fine steering.

Symptoms of a collapsed (fluid gone) control arm bushing might be a clunk noise heard when hitting bumps or using brakes. Certainly look for any loose feel in the front suspension when driving. Wheel balance problems show up synchronized to wheel speed, and this bushing problem would not wobble faster as speed increases.

Quick Reply: Control Arm bushing bad?