E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Continental AS tire review.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:44 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by tomv
I must be the only guy on the planet that does NOT like the conti DWS, the reviews are great which is why I bought them. But BEWARE, I found them to be a VERY loud tire on most surfaces with significant tread noise between 50 and 55 mph, it reminds me of the loud hum you get with straight snow tires. They sound ridiculous. I have 1000 miles on them but the dealer said he will take them back and replace with whatever else I want to put on, still trying to decide on a replacement.

Do not expect all season or winter tyres to be as quiet as summer ones, it is one of the sacrifices you make.

A larger number of transverse treads and sipes will generate more noise than the longitudinal ones on summer tyres.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Members

I must be the only guy on the planet that does NOT like the conti DWS, the reviews are great which is why I bought them. But BEWARE, I found them to be a VERY loud tire on most surfaces with significant tread noise between 50 and 55 mph, it reminds me of the loud hum you get with straight snow tires. They sound ridiculous. I have 1000 miles on them but the dealer said he will take them back and replace with whatever else I want to put on, still trying to decide on a replacement.
I have a set of Michelin summer tires on a set of rims that I run during the summer......then I switch out to the DWS's such as are fitted to your car that I have mounted on a second set of rims. The Michelin is the #1 rated tire for the BMW in Tire Rack's surveys.. So, I have a great comparison.......top rated summer versus "almost" top rated 4-season. Here are my comparisons, having run both sets of tires for about 15k miles each (I drive about 700 miles per week.....mostly freeway). The Michelin summer tire is superior in all around handling. Even slightly less noisy then the DWS's. Beyond that, the dry weather performance of the two tires is essentially the same. Never used the summer tires in snow.....but, think that they would be horrible, while the DWS's are the best 4-season tires for snow I have ever owned (including a set of Blizzak winter tires!!). I rate both tires as very quiet.....but, there is a perceivable slightly softer note from the Michelin's.

So, going back to your post, I think that you have something amiss either with one of the DWS's or with the setup of your suspension. For example, if you have excessive toe in on your tires, you can get an increase in road noise and the degree of loudness could be a function of tread design (which means that different tread patterns will be different sounding). So, before ditching the DWS's, I would have a four wheel alignment check done on the car by a shop that has proper alignment equipment that they know how to use correctly (many shops are sloppy in their alignments.....so, you need to use a shop with a good reputation). If the alignment on your car is dead on, then I would suspect a manufacturing defect in one or more of the DWS's.

Your negative comment on the DWS is so rare, that you should think about it before going to another tire. I doubt that you will find another tire that gives the performance at competitive pricing.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i,1995 M3
Model Year: 2004

I have those for summer tires. I never noticed a hum but I never drive that slow...