E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Continental Extreme Contact DWS Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535 xi, Comfort Access, Cold Weather, Nav, Parking Sensors, Logic 7

I'm having some frustrations with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires I had installed a few weeks ago. I had gotten two flats in 6 months with the original Goodyear RSAs, so I figured I would get all four replaced with the Contis which were highly rated. Now I get vibration between 60 and 70 mph. I had them rebalanced twice without any success. The tire shop showed me that one of the rims seemed slightly bent which made the tire hop. So I got a new rim and the tire shop installed a brand new tire. I thought that would fix it, not so. Same result. Before with the Goodyears, the car was completely smooth all the way to 90+ (even with the bent rim). In fact, I had to look down on the speedo to make sure I wasn't going to fast. Of course, now I know when I hit 60. At this point, I want to go back and have my old Goodyears put back on - not sure if that's even an option. Any suggestions? I hate driving the car now.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

does your tire shop have a roadforce balance machine? if not, maybe find one that does.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

assuming your new rim is the same brand as your old one and is hubcentric with the correct bore, no need for hub ring, and all your tires are balanced, try my cheap method to see if it can resolve the issue for you.

Reinstall your rims with the star pattern, but torque each at 20 lbs interval until you get to the recommended torque which is around 88 lb/ft I believe. I know it sounds weird but I had a similar problem between 60-70 mph when I installed my old set of Miro on. It turned out the shop over torqued the lugs since they were using their almight air gun. I've been driving with it past few months without any vibration so far. At least now I find some use for the damn 1/2" drive torque wrench.

GL
Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535 xi, Comfort Access, Cold Weather, Nav, Parking Sensors, Logic 7

Originally Posted by turboawd
does your tire shop have a roadforce balance machine? if not, maybe find one that does.
I asked the manager of the tire shop about roadforce balancing. He said that roadforce balancing is mainly for racing cars and not regular street cars. Not sure if the shop actually has one. I've never had to do anything special when getting new tires. This is very perplexing. Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep that in mind as an option.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
assuming your new rim is the same brand as your old one and is hubcentric with the correct bore, no need for hub ring, and all your tires are balanced, try my cheap method to see if it can resolve the issue for you.

Reinstall your rims with the star pattern, but torque each at 20 lbs interval until you get to the recommended torque which is around 88 lb/ft I believe. I know it sounds weird but I had a similar problem between 60-70 mph when I installed my old set of Miro on. It turned out the shop over torqued the lugs since they were using their almight air gun. I've been driving with it past few months without any vibration so far. At least now I find some use for the damn 1/2" drive torque wrench.

GL
I got exact same OEM star spoke 243 rim. Interesting that over torquing the lugs would cause vibration. I will ask about that as well when I go back in.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by Jucas Blue
I asked the manager of the tire shop about roadforce balancing. He said that roadforce balancing is mainly for racing cars and not regular street cars. Not sure if the shop actually has one. I've never had to do anything special when getting new tires. This is very perplexing. Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep that in mind as an option.
Sorry, but the manager is an idiot. Road Force balancing can really help with vibrations on low profile tires no matter what kind of car they're mounted on. Look for a shop that has a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balancing machine and give it a try. The dealer might have one (my dealer charged $125 for the service) and some Discount Tire stores have them as well (they charge about $80). The issue is the operator - when Discount Road Force balanced the tires on my car they said all 4 passed with flying colors. When the dealer did it, they all failed miserably.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

gas station manager told me 87 octane is the same as 93, so now I save SOOOOO much money

Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i M54 2005 Alpine White Sport/Cold/Premiun Sound/Active Steering Navigation/PDC/sport seats/6 CD Changer

Originally Posted by v_therussian
gas station manager told me 87 octane is the same as 93, so now I save SOOOOO much money

I saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico
Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

I have Conti DWS on my car, no issues. Love em. Your shop isn't balancing em properly. Like other's said you need to find someone that has the proper equipment. Its the shop, not the tire.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Members

Also I think the Contis have 30-day test drive with full refund. Ask them about this. Try to rotate the tires from back to front and see if you still have vibration (on the steering wheel).

Sorry to hear your experience. I've been thru the same with other tires. They finally found out one of them was out of round and replaced it for free. Still, it was a unnecessary hassle.

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact DWS Vibration