E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Consensus on Active Steering Option

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I'm one who experienced system failure. It was replaced under warrnaty, but apparently, given BMW's sensitivity to the issue (I got a phone call directly from BMWNA after I posted my "Warning Failure! here), I'll bet there are more failures than we know--at least on the early models. Now, I note that it is spreading into the 3 series.

As for appreciating it, yes I do. But, at the same time I worry about it in that if you are unaccustomed to it, as I was on my first day with the car, and a friend driving did a right on red, beside another stopped car, in the near-curb right lane, my heart leapt to my throat fearing that he was going to clip that $1000 right rear wheel and tire package on the curb. We missed it by a hair, but you need to be aware of its "short" turning radius capabilties and liabilities.

You do get used to it and miss it when you climb into something else, but then, that can be said about a whole range of BMW traits.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='511387' date='Dec 28 2007, 11:16 AM
As for appreciating it, yes I do. But, at the same time I worry about it in that if you are unaccustomed to it, as I was on my first day with the car, and a friend driving did a right on red, beside another stopped car, in the near-curb right lane, my heart leapt to my throat fearing that he was going to clip that $1000 right rear wheel and tire package on the curb. We missed it by a hair, but you need to be aware of its "short" turning radius capabilties and liabilities.
I know the feeling -- I always make a point to warn anyone that drives my car about the potential to curb a wheel and my heart still ends up in my throat each and every time they take a 90 degree turn...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='511390' date='Dec 28 2007, 11:20 AM
I know the feeling -- I always make a point to warn anyone that drives my car about the potential to curb a wheel and my heart still ends up in my throat each and every time they take a 90 degree turn...
Totally agree ,during my first few days driving AS I always felt tlike I was going to hit a curb or telephone pole .........it's a learning thing
Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thanks again for all the replies and Rudy for the link to the other thread(s). Sorry to have asked a redundant question, I remember doing a search too, but that was maybe on the other forum. Anyway, at the end of it all I just need to drive a 550i with AS to be sure, so thanks!
Cal
Old 12-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

This is my 2nd car with AS. Love it.
Agree with Rudy, women and active steering do not mix
Old 12-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='511184' date='Dec 27 2007, 08:46 PM
Has a consensus developed about Active Steering? I am close to placing an order after lots of study, and am undecided on this one. Absent a strong "must-have" recommendation I'll skip it at this point. Concerned about a different, less direct feel of the road, also wonder if it will turn into a maintenance headache. I'll keep the car 10+ years.

Cal

I opted for AS and love it. It truly makes the E60 easy to handle at low speed and is a further refinement in car technology. Its been reliable with one software update made after ED. When switching to our Audi, I really miss it as the A4 requires much more turning effort. Particularly at low speed, like right out of the driveway. AS is great for parking but like others I worry abit with valet situations.

As for higher speeds, steering feel is fine as one would expect for a BMW. I really haven't noticed the intervening or intrusions in at the limit situations. Hard oversteer situations (DTC off) come off as expected, although I do wonder what nonAS would feel like. That said, I don't track the car and sport rubber isn't cheap. I drive a bit more with Limited slip and the car feels great.

In sum, its a fine option and something very useful in a large sedan. If your tracking the car and/or just want that stock BMW steering feel, nonAS might be the way to go. There is no going back for me, as my flat earth socieity membership was in turned in long ago.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alex123' post='511414' date='Dec 28 2007, 12:37 PM
This is my 2nd car with AS. Love it.
Agree with Rudy, women and active steering do not mix
Not that I'm disagreeing but when did I mention anything about a woman?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Members

No problem Cal we get these questions all the time, but 90% of the folks don't tell us anything about their driving condiitons or where they live. It really does make a difference in our replies. Good Luck with the 550i you will love the car. I still get a smile each time I drive it.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='511408' date='Dec 28 2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks again for all the replies and Rudy for the link to the other thread(s). Sorry to have asked a redundant question, I remember doing a search too, but that was maybe on the other forum. Anyway, at the end of it all I just need to drive a 550i with AS to be sure, so thanks!
Cal
Hey Cal, glad we could help you out.

I couldn't help but notice (and I can't help from pointing this out ) that you posted a similar question on the Bimmerfest E60 forum about 15 minutes earlier than this one yet here the thread has 27 replies (in addition to the link I provided for you that contained another 39 posts on the subject) and as of right now, the topic on the other board has only 6 replies! Granted, a handful of these replies are your own and some are a bit off topic but in case you haven't figured it out yet, this is the place to be for all things E60!

Congratulations on your upcoming order and welcome to our little corner of the 'net. I'm sure we'll be seeing much more of you as you get closer to delivery and beyond...
Old 12-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='511485' date='Dec 28 2007, 03:11 PM
Hey Cal, glad we could help you out.

I couldn't help but notice (and I can't help from pointing this out ) that you posted a similar question on the Bimmerfest E60 forum about 15 minutes earlier than this one yet here the thread has 27 replies (in addition to the link I provided for you that contained another 39 posts on the subject) and as of right now, the topic on the other board has only 6 replies! Granted, a handful of these replies are your own and some are a bit off topic but in case you haven't figured it out yet, this is the place to be for all things E60!

Congratulations on your upcoming order and welcome to our little corner of the 'net. I'm sure we'll be seeing much more of you as you get closer to delivery and beyond...
I had noticed the same thing, and I have to say from the past 30 days or so of reading I've gotten more information here than there... Thanks again,
Cal

Quick Reply: Consensus on Active Steering Option