E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusinon around seating in my '08 on order

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

I'm a bit confused at this point on what seats I'm getting. I have read many posts here and I must admit to be confused (well more than usual anyway ). I ordered the '08 535i with Preimum and Sport packages. I believe I should be getting Dakota leather 20 way multi-contour seating (shown in the 2008 US brochure). However, I have read several subsequent posts that the LCI seats have been redesigned and now are called "Comfort Seats"? I really like the look of the 20 way multi-contour seats (including the headrests with the adjustable "half pad" for lack of a better term)...can someone confirm what seats I'll be getting with the above option packages

Thank you
Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='489186' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm a bit confused at this point on what seats I'm getting. I have read many posts here and I must admit to be confused (well more than usual anyway ). I ordered the '08 535i with Preimum and Sport packages. I believe I should be getting Dakota leather 20 way multi-contour seating (shown in the 2008 US brochure). However, I have read several subsequent posts that the LCI seats have been redesigned and now are called "Comfort Seats"? I really like the look of the 20 way multi-contour seats (including the headrests with the adjustable "half pad" for lack of a better term)...can someone confirm what seats I'll be getting with the above option packages

Thank you
I'm not familiar with US specs, but in the UK we can get 'Comfort seats' which include electric adjustment for fore/aft, up/down, tilt, backrest tilt plus separate upper backrest adjustment, electric head rest height adjust, electric side bolster adjustment, electric extendable under thigh support, electric lumbar support (with height and depth adjustment) and 2 position memory. If you count all of these electric adjustments 'both ways' it comes to 20. You get all of this for both front seats, plus electric steering column (rake & reach) with 'easy entry' function and passenger mirror dipping in reverse gear. I have opted for Comfort seats as I find that the regular seats (both standard and Sport) do not support the upper back (they slope away from the middle of your back upwards) and the facility to rectify this with the independent adjustment of the upper back section solves this.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='489201' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:50 PM
I'm not familiar with US specs, but in the UK we can get 'Comfort seats' which include electric adjustment for fore/aft, up/down, tilt, backrest tilt plus separate upper backrest adjustment, electric head rest height adjust, electric side bolster adjustment, electric extendable under thigh support, electric lumbar support (with height and depth adjustment) and 2 position memory. If you count all of these electric adjustments 'both ways' it comes to 20. You get all of this for both front seats, plus electric steering column (rake & reach) with 'easy entry' function and passenger mirror dipping in reverse gear. I have opted for Comfort seats as I find that the regular seats (both standard and Sport) do not support the upper back (they slope away from the middle of your back upwards) and the facility to rectify this with the independent adjustment of the upper back section solves this.

Forgot to add that the head restraints have changed for the new models. Active head restraints (anti- whiplash) are now standard (only on 'comfort seats before) but on the comfort seats the 'pad' now covers the whole head restraint area, but is still manually adjustable.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='489186' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:04 PM
I really like the look of the 20 way multi-contour seats (including the headrests with the adjustable "half pad" for lack of a better term)...can someone confirm what seats I'll be getting with the above option packages

Thank you
Hotlap -

You will get the multi-contour seats as shown in the brochure. That's exactly what I have and you WILL love them once you pinpoint which position is best. There are so many adjustments; it took me over a week to decide.

ace
Old 11-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

They were always called comfort seats-nothing to do with LCI other than the seats being changed a bit. Last year the sport package came with the comfort seats and that is the way it is this year-so basically nothing is any different than last and youll get the revised comfort seats that look a lot less classy IMO but I am sure are fine.

Nobody answered me last time I brought htis up but for anyone with current comfort seats I ask you-how the heck are they any different than the new ones-or how do they say they are unsafe in whiplash situation since with the current ones you adjust the upperback/head rest forward so when you are driving your entire body is essentially cradled with absolutly no room behind your head if you adjust it like I do-so how does the new one with head rests that move forward any different? The current ones have the head rest move forward-except it moves along with the whole upperback/shoulder piece as well-I dont get the upgrade as far as safety is concerened
Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='489237' date='Nov 2 2007, 08:44 PM
They were always called comfort seats-nothing to do with LCI other than the seats being changed a bit. Last year the sport package came with the comfort seats and that is the way it is this year-so basically nothing is any different than last and youll get the revised comfort seats that look a lot less classy IMO but I am sure are fine.

Nobody answered me last time I brought htis up but for anyone with current comfort seats I ask you-how the heck are they any different than the new ones-or how do they say they are unsafe in whiplash situation since with the current ones you adjust the upperback/head rest forward so when you are driving your entire body is essentially cradled with absolutly no room behind your head if you adjust it like I do-so how does the new one with head rests that move forward any different? The current ones have the head rest move forward-except it moves along with the whole upperback/shoulder piece as well-I dont get the upgrade as far as safety is concerened
Hey man, you should use punctuation, it usually helps comunicate your ideas better.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='489186' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:04 PM

Thank you
They were called comfort seats before they changed to multi-contour seats. In 2008 with the sports package you get multi-contour seats (AKA comfort seats).
Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Casper' post='489303' date='Nov 3 2007, 01:24 AM
They were called comfort seats before they changed to multi-contour seats. In 2008 with the sports package you get multi-contour seats (AKA comfort seats).
That's correct. I do think that the older headrests with the little "wings" that flip out are not being offered anymore. Now they have the new anti-whiplash design...
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Casper' post='489301' date='Nov 3 2007, 01:21 AM
Hey man, you should use punctuation, it usually helps comunicate your ideas better.
Not really-if you have trouble with reading the above it probably is your own problem understanding english-For example would commas and more periods help you understand that above line? I am pretty sure you heard it crystal clear right? Nuff said
Old 11-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Contributors

Just to clarify... (and perhaps somebody could correct me if I'm wrong re the US specs, but I'm definitely right for the UK bit!!)

In the UK, we have THREE seat variations;
On a non-sport car, you get "standard seats". You can pay extra to get "sport seats", or even more to get "comfort seats". This terminology is still correct.
On an m-sport car, you get "sports seats" as standard. You can pay extra to get "comfort seats".

In the US, you have TWO seat variations;
On a non-sport car, you get "standars seats" - which are the same as the UK sport seats (or standard UK seats are not electric at all, US standard ones are 10-way electric which appears to be the same as UK Sport seats). You can pay extra to get "multi contour seats", which are identical to the UK "comfort seats". In the US they used to be called comfort seats but they changed the name for whatever reason.
On an m-sport car, you get "multi contour seats" as standard.

As you move up to the more expensive models, the higher cost seat options may become standard, again depending where you are.

In other areas, you probably have one of the above scenarios!

Quick Reply: Confusinon around seating in my '08 on order