E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confused about headlight system on 2008 LCI

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='504432' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:12 PM
As far as I know, the cornering lamps do not move. They simply throw the light in a sideways direction and come on and off when the steering wheel postiton, turn signals, vehicle speed, and/or gear selector dictate that they're needed...
+1, I was checking them out in the garage by turning the wheels side to side. I couldn't figure out how that inboard lamp would be able to shine sideways, but it's the lense...it is directional to each side. One thing I noticed was they seem to shine brighter the harder your turn the wheel...could be just that they were lighting up, but almost seemed as if they were at 50% power for a slight turn and 100% power for a hard turn.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='504987' date='Dec 10 2007, 09:46 AM
+1, I was checking them out in the garage by turning the wheels side to side. I couldn't figure out how that inboard lamp would be able to shine sideways, but it's the lense...it is directional to each side. One thing I noticed was they seem to shine brighter the harder your turn the wheel...could be just that they were lighting up, but almost seemed as if they were at 50% power for a slight turn and 100% power for a hard turn.
I don't think the cornering lights vary their intensity based on the amount of steering input. I think what you're seeing is more a function of how they illuminate -- they fade up and down when they light up and go off probably to not make it look like they're flashing other drivers.

I don't see any logical reason why they'd design a system to only "half-light" a corner just because it wasn't a sharp one...

Have you noticed that both of them light up when you put the car into reverse?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='504993' date='Dec 10 2007, 06:57 AM
I don't think the cornering lights vary their intensity based on the amount of steering input. I think what you're seeing is more a function of how they illuminate -- they fade up and down when they light up and go off probably to not make it look like they're flashing other drivers.

I don't see any logical reason why they'd design a system to only "half-light" a corner just because it wasn't a sharp one...

Have you noticed that both of them light up when you put the car into reverse?

Rudy, I think you are right in that they do fade up! I hadn't noticed that they illuminate when in reverse...have to check that out. Did notice a guy staring at my lights the this weekend when I was reversing...now I know what he was looking at
Old 12-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Do the Inboard lights also illuminate when you hit the open button on the remote, in the same way that the lights in the outside mirrors come on?

(I have the external mirror lights as part of the Light Package on my pre-LCI)
Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='505000' date='Dec 10 2007, 07:19 AM
Do the Inboard lights also illuminate when you hit the open button on the remote, in the same way that the lights in the outside mirrors come on?

(I have the external mirror lights as part of the Light Package on my pre-LCI)

On my LCI the angle eyes illuminate with the unlocking of the car via fob...not sure how the pre LCI models operate?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='505062' date='Dec 10 2007, 07:12 PM
On my LCI the angle eyes illuminate with the unlocking of the car via fob...not sure how the pre LCI models operate?

The angle eyes illuminate -- not what I expected. I would have thought the Inboard lights would have given off more light around the car and therefore been a better choice for this. On the pre-LCI, its only the lights under the mirrors that illuminate the area around the car -- this is part of the Light Pack.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='505073' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:46 AM
The angle eyes illuminate -- not what I expected. I would have thought the Inboard lights would have given off more light around the car and therefore been a better choice for this. On the pre-LCI, its only the lights under the mirrors that illuminate the area around the car -- this is part of the Light Pack.

Thanks for the info

No problem..not sure if this is accurate or not...but the angel eyes might be brighter now in the LCI's. I mention this because they also function as the DRL's in the LCI models so they are pretty bright...see pic below:

Confused about headlight system on 2008 LCI-dscn0307.jpg
Old 12-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='505148' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:06 PM
No problem..not sure if this is accurate or not...but the angel eyes might be brighter now in the LCI's. I mention this because they also function as the DRL's in the LCI models so they are pretty bright...see pic below:

Attachment 41732
correct, and the LCI ones are a simple H8 bulb, which means it's easy to change to xenon color and/or higher output.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='504432' date='Dec 8 2007, 03:12 PM
As far as I know, the cornering lamps do not move. They simply throw the light in a sideways direction and come on and off when the steering wheel postiton, turn signals, vehicle speed, and/or gear selector dictate that they're needed...
Yes, to be more precise, the beams move.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

I hope this thread continues it's legs. The more I read the confuser I get.

I find the manual confusing (on many subjects). I think it is written by European folks and then translated. Their style and phraseology doesn't always jibe with mine.

Then, also when I play with the lights in a store window, they seem to do things I don't read about or expect.

The forum will no doubt iron all this out.

Quick Reply: Confused about headlight system on 2008 LCI