E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confused about headlight system on 2008 LCI

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

All, I'm trying to figure out what headlights I have on my 2008 5351. It's a preimum sport with cold weather package.

Here's what I have seen so far:

1) Xenon Adaptive Headlights with Dynamic Auto Leveling
- Angel Eyes act as DRL's and come on when unlocking the car/part of the night security lighting system
- Cornering lights - have seen these come on at slower speeds - but can't find the lights?
- Pivoting headlights that turn in tandem with the steering wheel

2) Halogen Free-Form Foglights

Questions...I'm assuming the outboard lights are the low beams with the inboard being the high beams. Are either set (high or low beams) "projector" lights?
Are both high and low beams Xenon or only low beams? I always keep my headlight switch in the "auto" position...sometimes the angel eyes are the DRL's and somtimes the low beams and the angel eyes act as the DRL's...any reason for this? In the parking lamp position, what lights are supposed to be operational...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='503550' date='Dec 6 2007, 01:05 PM
All, I'm trying to figure out what headlights I have on my 2008 5351. It's a preimum sport with cold weather package.

Here's what I have seen so far:

1) Xenon Adaptive Headlights with Dynamic Auto Leveling
- Angel Eyes act as DRL's and come on when unlocking the car/part of the night security lighting system
- Cornering lights - have seen these come on at slower speeds - but can't find the lights?
- Pivoting headlights that turn in tandem with the steering wheel

2) Halogen Free-Form Foglights

Questions...I'm assuming the outboard lights are the low beams with the inboard being the high beams. Are either set (high or low beams) "projector" lights?
Are both high and low beams Xenon or only low beams? I always keep my headlight switch in the "auto" position...sometimes the angel eyes are the DRL's and somtimes the low beams and the angel eyes act as the DRL's...any reason for this? In the parking lamp position, what lights are supposed to be operational...

You have option 1 which is standard on the 535's and an option on the 528's.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='503550' date='Dec 6 2007, 01:05 PM
Your assumption is not correct. The outboard lights are both the low and high beam (Xenon for both). The inboard lights are the cornering lights.

When you see the low beams and the angel eyes on at the same time, you're seeing the car with the low beams on (verified by the illuminated green LED near the light switch if your using auto mode.)

In the parking lamp position, you'll get the angel eyes and the marker lights, etc. In addition, the rear tail lights are illuminated as DRL's too. I think they just get a tiny bit brighter when the headlamps are on...
Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='503576' date='Dec 6 2007, 10:50 AM
Your assumption is not correct. The outboard lights are both the low and high beam (Xenon for both). The inboard lights are the cornering lights.

When you see the low beams and the angel eyes on at the same time, you're seeing the car with the low beams on (verified by the illuminated green LED near the light switch if your using auto mode.)

In the parking lamp position, you'll get the angel eyes and the marker lights, etc. In addition, the rear tail lights are illuminated as DRL's too. I think they just get a tiny bit brighter when the headlamps are on...

Thanks Rudy...would have never guessed the inboard lights were the cornering lights So the inboard lights are the "slow speed cornering" lights (IIRC they only work under 25mph) and the outboard (low/high) beams are the Xenon Adpative headlights that adjust the angle (pivot) to follow curves based on the steering wheel angle, etc.?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The inboard lights, in addition to being the cornering lights, are also the flashers (not hazard!). Pulling on the stalk to flash headlights uses the inboard lights not the xenon. As you know, pushing the stalk turns of the high beams...
Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: LCI 523i SE Jet Black Auto - 01/09/2007 - Logic 7 - Visibility Package - Sports Steering Wheel - Sports Seats - Interior Lights Package - Airbags Side Rear - Space Saver Spare Wheel - High Gloss Black interior - Professional Radio CD - USB Interface - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load System

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='503631' date='Dec 6 2007, 08:59 PM
The inboard lights, in addition to being the cornering lights, are also the flashers (not hazard!). Pulling on the stalk to flash headlights uses the inboard lights not the xenon. As you know, pushing the stalk turns of the high beams...
Sorry to be picky, if you have the bi-xenons and active lights (cornering lights and directional headlights) the 'flash to pass' isn't provided by the inner set of lights, the flash is provided by the outer set of lights.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by terrymac' post='503656' date='Dec 6 2007, 04:35 PM
Sorry to be picky, if you have the bi-xenons and active lights (cornering lights and directional headlights) the 'flash to pass' isn't provided by the inner set of lights, the flash is provided by the outer set of lights.
Correct -- BTW, it's not picky, it's just accurate!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Thanks everyone - appreciate the excellent feedback
Old 12-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Thanks to all of you also, as I was trying to sort out the same thing.... Still learning.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

I still have yet to see the headlights turn in tandem with the steering wheel. I've checked at high and low speeds and they don't seem to move at all. The headlight switch is set to Auto. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Confused about headlight system on 2008 LCI