E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

conforti shark

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I am looking at purchaseing the shark injector for my car and wondered if anyone has experianced this technology on there e60 530.

If so what do you think of the performance increase or throttle response. Is it worth the 369.00, there are unfortunatly not many performance upgrades for this car so any should be helpful I hope
Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='653250' date='Aug 24 2008, 11:39 AM
I am looking at purchaseing the shark injector for my car and wondered if anyone has experianced this technology on there e60 530.

If so what do you think of the performance increase or throttle response. Is it worth the 369.00, there are unfortunatly not many performance upgrades for this car so any should be helpful I hope
I know of many who have used the shark injector on earlier BMW models, primarily in the 3 series. They have all been happy. I have no experience on the E60. I have a plan, buy my 550i and you won't need the shark.

al
Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

Originally Posted by AlB' post='653257' date='Aug 24 2008, 11:59 AM
I know of many who have used the shark injector on earlier BMW models, primarily in the 3 series. They have all been happy. I have no experience on the E60. I have a plan, buy my 550i and you won't need the shark.

al

Great plan I love the 550's, I actually have plans to purchase a M3, well had plans waiting for the new Idrive system and then bam wham, oldest daughter goes to collage and does not get on campus houseing. Apt 600.00 internet 20.00, lights 60.00, cellular family plan but had to up min 250.oofood, spending money, tuition, books, sling box, well there goes my m3 atleast for a while anyway
Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 PM
AlB
Senior Members

buddy

I drove a new M3 with the DCT tranny. It was very nice, but had less than 100 miles so we could not rev it up. Last I looked, there were many 6 speeds on the lot. btw, where in Richmond do you live? I am in Wyndham.

Good luck with your plans.

al
Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlB' post='653479' date='Aug 24 2008, 07:39 PM
buddy

I drove a new M3 with the DCT tranny. It was very nice, but had less than 100 miles so we could not rev it up. Last I looked, there were many 6 speeds on the lot. btw, where in Richmond do you live? I am in Wyndham.

Good luck with your plans.

al
I live in Eastern Henrico (Varina) I only patron the Midlothian store, Broad street sucks big time. They did have 1 conv, 1coupe, and 1 sedan on the lot I did not drive one for fear that I would have to leave with the Jersey Black sedan, it was a serious car damm I could see myself in that car, but priorities prevailed.

You should have Fios in your place by now correct
Old 08-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by buddy' post='653250' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:39 AM

I can't speak with authority on the shark injector. But, I have serious doubts about it. In general, I have serious doubts about the efficacy of the standard performance upgrades on BMW's. I have never yet seen anyone demonstrate such efficacy via controlled tests. My experience is, for example, that an aftermarket muffler may have great sound (e.g., my B&, but will have no measurable positive effect on performance. Exceptions are ECU upgrades on turbocharged engines, superchargers, and increasing the rear gear numerically. Oh, and increasing the quickness of Step shifting is a good one.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 AM
AlB
Senior Members

I would tend to agree with Znod. BMW does not leave much on the table for its NA cars. Therefore, I have always been skeptical of advertising that claims noticeable improvements for ECU upgrades alone. If I have no idea what gains are advertised for the shark, but if I felt I needed to have an adjustment made, I would prolly go with the Dinan.

As for Broad Street, I have had great success with the service department. The sales manager is a friend of mine, but the sales dept is typical of a low end dealership and not a premium vehicle dealership.

As for fios, yes, it has been available for a couple of years. I have not switched over from comcast as yet, but will consider when my contract expires.

best of luck whatever you decide.

al
Old 08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Thanks guys I have done dinnan in my other 5 car with little to no differance in performance. Was not happy until I actually had Rick Hannerhaus custom build me a engine for that car, only because the broad street store guys trashed my engine and the tryed to patch the work with some stuff the poured into the radiator. That is a story in itself, but that is why I asked about the shark others on other boards swear by it, but have not seen anyone with it on a e60 530 model. They don't claim tremendous improvements but delimited, few hoarses and quicker throttle response, which I could get from the other thing under the pedal I guess I will keep researching and hopeing someone else will guinue pig it before I do. At this point I guess ever little bit helps
Old 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Several years ago I was curious about upgrading the ECU in my 1998 528i automatic, so I contacted Jim Conforti via email. Back then you had to send him the ECU and he replaced the firmware and sent it back to you. I asked him if he thought it would notiecably improve performance and to please not B.S. me with power curve charts, etc., just give me the straight dope regarding if I could really feel any difference. They guy got real snotty (defensive?) in his response as if I'd hurt his feelings or something and he didn't really reply to my question. I replied and apologized (simply in an attempt to get any kind of response to my question) and he ultimately said I probably wouldn't notice any benefit from it, so I didn't get an upgrade. Two points for Jim for being honest, but I still think he must be a real touchy S.O.B. I think BMW pretty well maximizes the performance of their powertrains and although these sorts of upgrades may make you feel good, you probably won't feel any faster, at least not unless you have a turbo that you can run the boost up on.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I know the e46 guys just say that the shark injector working along with exhaust and intake help to feel the difference in having the exhaust and intake.