E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Conditions Under Low Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Recently I had to go through two batteries later finding out that my voltage regulator of the alternator is out, however before the battery died or in low battery conditions these conditions happened

Auto transmission signal on iDrive check control , asking to drive moderately

Idrive screen going black and would come on only when pressed the idrive

anti trap window malfunction (this i know happens if battery is disconnected)

I have to wait 7 days for new regulator but the above conditions are normal if battery is low?

Do I need to reprogramme the DME after the new regulator install? Vehicle ran perfectly before it started giving battery not charging.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The car is very sensitive when it comes to it's power/battery. The systems are monitored and if there is a battery drain or if the battery is just to low the systems get switched off. In the tranny case I think the sensors were just malfunctioning because of the low battery, but the idrive screen is normal under this circumstances.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Steptronic 6, Silver Gray, Black Dakota leather, Anthracite wood, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Premium Sound, pro nav, Active Steering, Park Distance, folding rear seats.

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='315463' date='Jul 26 2006, 10:28 PM
Recently I had to go through two batteries later finding out that my voltage regulator of the alternator is out, however before the battery died or in low battery conditions these conditions happened

Auto transmission signal on iDrive check control , asking to drive moderately

Idrive screen going black and would come on only when pressed the idrive

anti trap window malfunction (this i know happens if battery is disconnected)

I have to wait 7 days for new regulator but the above conditions are normal if battery is low?

Do I need to reprogramme the DME after the new regulator install? Vehicle ran perfectly before it started giving battery not charging.

I had the same thing happen after I left my 525i sitting for about two months, no CD, radio or IDrive screen basically all fun stuff was on standby. I think the E60 supplies power to the most important areas, until full power has been restored, and then everything goes back to normal after about a thirty minute drive on the autobahn. Brakes had to be broken in a bit too. After 30 minutes of driving she was go to go again.

What was funny is, after the 30 drive. I took the car back to the dealer who was selling it for me on consignment, and told him, nobody would by the car in that condition. He was confused and asked me to show him the problem, I started the car and it was perfect. That?s when I realized, it was probably a protection feature.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

I also found out from one of rudy's post that there is a intelligent battery sensor control box which controls all the signals, basically what to turn off and what not to by sending signals to the ECU. I wish there werent soo many controllers in the vehicle but then we wouldn have all the fun stuff either, what a vicious circle.