E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Condensation in eyebrow

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

Right.. im in the middle of doing my eyebrow upgrade as i basicly fuked it up and had to replace the original LED board! Since i been messin about condensation has built up in one side.. Theres a fair bit of water in there!

Now i spent about 3 hours yesturday with a hair dryer and got 90% of the water out.. but that last 10% wouldnt go, so thought id leave it over night as it wasnt raining and its a proper nice sunny day today.. now back to sqaure one! Theres lots of water droplets in there again... I just need to get rid of the condensation so i can seal the unit back up again with my new LED's

Any suggestions?

(Also when i was drying it out with the hair dryer, where the water droplets were its left water marks! how anoying, my own fault i guess)

Nearly there tho!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Epic' post='854963' date='Apr 22 2009, 11:34 AM
Right.. im in the middle of doing my eyebrow upgrade as i basicly fuked it up and had to replace the original LED board! Since i been messin about condensation has built up in one side.. Theres a fair bit of water in there!

Now i spent about 3 hours yesturday with a hair dryer and got 90% of the water out.. but that last 10% wouldnt go, so thought id leave it over night as it wasnt raining and its a proper nice sunny day today.. now back to sqaure one! Theres lots of water droplets in there again... I just need to get rid of the condensation so i can seal the unit back up again with my new LED's

Any suggestions?

(Also when i was drying it out with the hair dryer, where the water droplets were its left water marks! how anoying, my own fault i guess)

Nearly there tho!
Epic,

You are going to need to do something along these lines:
1. Remove the head light
2. Take all of the covers off the back
3. Use hair drier to warm the air.
4. Blast cold air (some hair driers have a button for this) into the back of the light
5. Repeat 3 & 4 until all of the condensation has gone.
6. Cool head light by blowing cold air through it.

The reason simply heating the light appears to work then the water comes back is due to the properties of air. Warm air is able to carry more moisture than cold air (hence only seeing your breath in the winter). When you warm the headlight the relative humidity of the air decreases allowing the condensation to evaporate into the air, when the light cools the relative humidity rises to 100% after which the excess moisture condenses.

If you don't fancy doing that you could always put some of those silica bags in the back of it.

I'm sure this isn't very clear and contains multiple spelling/grammatical errors, but all the same I hope it helps.

Dom
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Members

You can also use high pressure air from an air compressor to blow it all out as well, provided the compressor isn't filled with water and blowing out water.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by latho' post='854982' date='Apr 22 2009, 12:27 PM
Epic,

You are going to need to do something along these lines:
1. Remove the head light
2. Take all of the covers off the back
3. Use hair drier to warm the air.
4. Blast cold air (some hair driers have a button for this) into the back of the light
5. Repeat 3 & 4 until all of the condensation has gone.
6. Cool head light by blowing cold air through it.

The reason simply heating the light appears to work then the water comes back is due to the properties of air. Warm air is able to carry more moisture than cold air (hence only seeing your breath in the winter). When you warm the headlight the relative humidity of the air decreases allowing the condensation to evaporate into the air, when the light cools the relative humidity rises to 100% after which the excess moisture condenses.

If you don't fancy doing that you could always put some of those silica bags in the back of it.

I'm sure this isn't very clear and contains multiple spelling/grammatical errors, but all the same I hope it helps.

Dom
Thanks thats some good advice. I will take the headlight out this weekend i think and do it all then as im on lates this week. I thought about using them silicon bags myself but didnt have a clue where to get hold of any lol.

Do you know how easy it is to get the headlight it self out
Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Members

Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

Do you know how easy it is to get the headlight it self out
[/quote]

Maybe this will help

Good luck
Old 04-22-2009, 05:37 AM
Members

Epic,

You can buy the stuff from here --> http://www.airandwatercentre.com/store/SEU...tcategories.htm but it's an expensive way of doing it, or you can buy Silica gel on ebay, for less.

When I removed the headlight to replace a blown sidelight, I followed a DIY from the forum.

Dom
Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Definitely need to take out the headlight. Bag the connectors and tape it up. Place a garbage bag over the hood and use blue tape to hold it in place. Bring the headlight in and blow dry it. That should do the trick. Just make sure you seal it with hot glue then silicone. You wouldn't want to do this again.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 1985 325e (sold it in 1996) // 2001 Z3 2.5 / White / Blk Lthr / 5-spd (wife's) // 04 530i / Metallic Blk / Beige Lthr / 6-spd / Logic7 / 19" 166 Michelin Pilot Sp

I had this problem before with a truck I owned. Always taking it off every couple of weeks to dry it out.

Then, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the assembly in a non-noticeable spot, and it never happened again. Water may get in, but the small hole provides a means with which water and condensation can escape. Face it, you broke a seal somewhere and will never get it to go away (unless it never rains or gets wet). Try the small hole. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Members

Opps, replyed to wrong post. never mind.. still havnt got this out yet lol