E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complaints after one year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jan 29 2005, 12:51 AM
mine works fine and no noise but just rattles .
[snapback]84326[/snapback]
Yep, I know. I mean the rattles. The noise the rattles makes... I could hear it in yours, not in mine. And in yours I could see the rattles when the wiper was in use... Ok, in mine too, but mine wipes the windshield perfectly and yours doesn'T at this time.
So yours is worse...

Anybody else noticed this?

We are talking about the lower (left) end of the drivers side wiper!?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

i'll try talk to the tech again next time when i'm in my dealer. hope he can help this time .
Old 01-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

10 months , 11000 miles- High voltage condition causing radio to cut out, dealer replaced battery which fixed it temporarily- rattling sound from under hood when cold- replacing second cracked windshild. Everything else has been resolved.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

This is just a hunch, but I bet that the complaint stats would be different we if polled post April04 production cars.

I think the computer glitches, runflats, rattles, etc all seem to have been resolved on the assembly line in the first 6 months. I feel for those early E60 adopters who are suffering.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Car's been in the shop for the past 8 days waiting for a new steering rack. Rack was replaced at 1,200 miles and now at 17K miles. March '04 build, April Delivery.
That's the only major issue I've had.
Still love the car!

Make that 12 days! :ugh:
Old 01-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Jan 28 2005, 05:09 PM
[quote name='RoBMW' date='Jan 28 2005, 02:46 PM']Hi, my E60 is 15 month 'old and in short i've got the following problems.....

Problems solved:
- display dark at low temperatures
- every 1000km message "service needed"
- oil sensor replaced
- now and then message "tire flat" (while they are OK)
- message "check oil"? (while nothing wrong)
- new motorhood

Still open:
- slow respone gaspedal
- not functional automatic 'headlight' turn on/off
- handbreak makes strange 'boink' noise when used
- rainsensor not adjustable
- radio 'prof' stores 'radio station' names as 'local-x'
- rattling front-doors
- rattle somewhere near the light switch
- somethimes 'forgetting' presets of radiostation, miles/kilometer, fahrenheit/celcius

My conclusion for this moment: "this is not a BMW!" My former cars (5-series) were better. Much better!
[snapback]84070[/snapback]
Sorry to hear all those issues you're having.
One thing I can relate to is the pro radio indicating LOCAL - X ( X being a number of priority )....funny thing is, I'm close to the border with Belgium and Germany and those stations are indicated with their normal RDS names! I appreciate that LOCAL is just that - but I would prefer the actual name of the station.
Don't know if it is a problem or done like that on purpose. Dennis??

I think nearly everyone has had the door rattle issue at some stage...mine comes and goes on occasion.
[snapback]84095[/snapback]
[/quote]

You know Q-music?On the list its Q-music and sometimes after some messages of the sender self its goes to LOCAL-1.But in the list its stays Q-music.But after some seconds it is back Q-MUSIC

Red:In my dads car it sometimes forget to load the map in the help-window then it set on Computer.What i find the stupids on Computer is sometimes on destantaion -36km or something

Oh yeah we had the black screen when it was cold asswell.But the fixed fast
Old 01-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Jan 28 2005, 06:47 PM
I feel for those early E60 adopters who are suffering.
[snapback]84373[/snapback]
Thanks for your support. Why should we have to suffer? If crappy BMW would admit to the crappy production values for the pre-April-04 and just replace the cars that are bad, it would solve everyone's headaches. Instead, we are expected to just suffer along, our time and money being sucked up by crappier dealers and stumblebum techs practicing "mechanics" on our expensive rides. What gets me most of all, they all say "this is normal", whatever the problem is. They also leave lots of black marks/grease all over my interior every time I take it in. Then BMW calls and asks you to rate your service. The SA's beg me to give everyone a 5, even when they don't deserve it. I give the SA's a 5, the techs a 1, the car a 0.

My continuing problems:
1) ticking electronic radiator thermostat (it's normal) they won't touch this.
2) delay in shifting quickly from slow speed (it's dangerous)
3) hard to close trunk (I've read all the previous posts and tried all the suggested methods)
4) Delay in trunk opening
5) Both A pillars fabric crinkling at base
6) Easily chipped windshield
7) Emission recall (need to take it in)
8) Loosing presets several times

Fixed:
1) Active roll suppression valve block went out
2) Hood out of alignment
3) Steering wheel wouldn't rise upon turning off the car
4) Replace scratched engine air cover
5) replaced cracked headlight support
6) Other stuff I've forgotten. Oh yeah, cupholders...mmm...some other stuff.

Other observations:
1) Why is the PDC located in such an awkward position?
2) Why can't we have addition small horn buttons reachable by each thumb so your hands don't have to leave the wheel when in use. Also, much quicker response. My '97 Honda Accord has them. Works great
3) Why are run-flat tires so expensive? (rhetorical question)
4) Crappy location of the "in-dash" 6 CD changer. Virtually unreachable while sitting down. Could there be a worse position? It makes it so inconvient that it's almost useless.
5) Poor storage for small items. Sun-glasses, extra CD's, etc.
7) I was given a bluetooth card when I picked up my car and was told it would be available. (Yes, I've read all the previous posts. Don't bother with another one.)
8)Crappy service technicians, bad attitudes (so reluctant to do their jobs), ruined paint on a rim and I had to tell them about it after I noticed it while getting in my car. Scratched an A pillar deeply enough to require touch up painting while adjusting my hood. I had to point this out. Sure the stuff was repainted but so what, it was brand new ( I mean weeks old).
9) The tire warranty paid $400 of a $468 replacement of one run flat tire.
10) The active steering ratio should be adjustable or be able to turned off. It would be much easier for people driving the car once (valet parking).
11) The clear bra I had installed (front/rear bumpers (full), hood (full), rocker panels, splash guards, door edges, door cups, mirrors, headlights, foglights, A/Cruise sensor is working fine. I really don't think about the items that are covered anymore.
12) You can't rest your head on the standard headrest. It appears they are designed for the comfort seat option.

and the worst of all:
6) limited rear seat legroom for adults. With the front seats extended, the backseat can hold only kids with good leg room. Adults, forget it. The front seats have to be moved up to provide minimal leg room for both front and rear adult passengers. When my wife and I test drove the car, while she drove, I sat in the back right rear. The leg room was fantastic. After recently sitting in the rear, I figured out that the sales rep had moved the passenger seat as far forward as it could go to give the appearance of lots of rear leg room during our test drive.

It's obvious that the design took precedence over the comfort of all the passengers since the E60 has such a large trunk.

No, I won't be buying the E60 again. While it handles fine, the 530 is way underpowered (the 545 overpriced) and no other product I own requires me to igore so much crap for so much money. Why should I? I have less problems now and during the past 7 years with my '97 Honda Accord purchased in August of '96. If BMW is so good, why is mine so crappy? If I had run my business like BM (pun intended) runs theirs, I would have been out of business.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:07 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Production 4/1/04 and no complaints, except for not being able to have integrated Sirius. Whether it's pre or post 4/04, it's still the best sedan on the planet...bar none, imnsho.

Sam
Old 02-03-2005, 01:50 PM
stu
Members

Thoughts so far ?

Well; The good things are,
(i) The stunning looks, ( It is so far ahead far the Merc/Audi /Jag offerings. There is no comparison ). Apart from the Boxster I can?t think of another car I could afford (?38K ish) that I would like to see sitting on the drive.
(ii) mid range punch of the 530D
(iii) economy
(iv) ?two tone? trim ( I followed ISUK, after seeing photos of his car on this site, who was wise enough to see that the mono colour interiors did the car no justice) The Auburn and Sapphire Black really looks good. I?m still chuffed almost 10 months later.
(v) The memory /heater /mirror/steering wheel/radio settings key thing really works well and makes the car easy to share with my girlfriend. ( no silly buttons to press)

Now, the snags, well to be honest the quality is not as good as the Mercs I had before. All the usual niggles listed previously on this site plus my cup holders disintegrated, radio reception is poor.
The windscreen chips very easily.
I can?t get comfortable after 10,000 miles ( I think you have to pay for the comfort seats !!!). The dealers are pants. In 20 years of ownership, I?ve never owned a car that was subject to a recall before , this heated seat thing has caused too much aggro with my local bunch of idiots at Altwood BMW.

The diesel engine is simply not as good as the journalists will have you believe. It?s not ever going to let you forget it?s an oil burner. Sure; it has useful torque, but it is noisy when cold. Passengers do hear a rumble and I?m jealous of my neighbours Merc 350 when it revs up each morning ? it sounds SO GOOD. I haven?t driven a 535 but I?m sure its no more refined than the 530.

My biggest bugbear is the ?tram lining?. My car tugs left and right at slow speeds. It?s simply annoying to drive when the roads are imperfect. You really need to keep a tight grip on the wheel. In 2004 the car I test drove was like it too. I told myself, at the time, that I would adjust to it !
I read on here, that it was a price worth paying for exemplary handling and steering precision. Well it isn?t. Its annoying!

My overall view is that the E60 is a car that really comes into its own at speeds over 80 mph. The high speed abilities are awesome. It feels so secure cornering at 100mph on its run flats. The acceleration and grip still impress me. However an E class is a lot easier and more comfortable to cruise across town and for slower journeys.
Maybe the E60 is a more comfortable beast on 16inch wheels, but they look silly and I?m not sure I like the ?tram lining? from the 18inch. Overall I?m pleased, but still wonder about the car and whether it was the right choice.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Stu,

Any car on 18" wheels with the width of tyres we have is going to tramline on uneven road surfaces. It's the width of the tyre that is the problem here and is a compromise you have to accept for improved looks. That's most likely why Merc stick at 17" max on higher profile rubber (even on AMG models) as their geriatric customers would have a fit if their car did anything other than waft along the road like a DFS sofa gliding over cotton wool (handling be damned). If you think your 530d tramlines you should try a Z4 on 18" runflats. You need new teeth if you drive on anything other than billiard table smooth surfaces in this car and there aren't many of those in the UK. I've sold mine to a friend to prevent me from incurring long term extortionate dental bills

As for the seat issue BMW's standard seats are probably THE worst seat in any luxury car on sale if you are above 5'8" tall. The seat squab is far too short and is totally lacking in under thigh support if you are a tall person. I think it's a marketing dept conspiracy to get repeat buyers to splash out on sport or comfort seats if they purchase a second BMW. I've had 6 BMW's now (incl the E90 I have on order). Only the first had standard seats. I rest my case

I'm surprised re your comments on engine noise as mine is only noisy for the first 5 minutes or so after starting from cold and you really don't hear it intrude much inside the car. Most passengers I've had in the car can't believe it's a diesel.

I have to say my biggest bugbear upon reflection is the mismatch of the colour of the interior plastics in this car. It really is shocking how many different shades and textures there are in there and I can only assume a lot of the components are made by different manaufacturers. You really notice this in the harsh sunlight on a winters day. The cupholder doors do not match the surround they sit in which in turn does not match the upper dash or the glovebox lid. Come on BMW - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER HERE! This is supposed to be a quality car. Do something about this woeful quality issue. The interior of the cabs of my Scania trucks puts you to shame in this respect.

Quick Reply: Complaints after one year?