E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comparison of the 550i vs. 545i

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Greetings, mates.

I'm currently driving an '01 740il sport (E38) and very seriously considering moving to an E60 model. A year ago, i nearly bought a 545i, but when I heard the 550i was in the works, I decided to wait. The local dealer here in Kentucky doesnt have any 550's coming which are not already purchased - meaning I cant really get a test drive any time soon.

I was curious whether anyone here might have driven both enough to comment on whether there is a discernable difference in the manner in which the cars perform, i.e., accelerate.

I suppose my main question is whether its worth paying for a new 550, vs a preowned 545....

I tried to search for a similar post topic but did not see one. Forgive me if this has been discussed/debated previously.

Thanks, in advance....

- Pete

PS - here is my present ride.....

Comparison of the 550i vs. 545i-the_7.jpg
Old 11-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='196283' date='Nov 10 2005, 01:26 PM
Greetings, mates.

I'm currently driving an '01 740il sport (E38) and very seriously considering moving to an E60 model. A year ago, i nearly bought a 545i, but when I heard the 550i was in the works, I decided to wait. The local dealer here in Kentucky doesnt have any 550's coming which are not already purchased - meaning I cant really get a test drive any time soon.

I was curious whether anyone here might have driven both enough to comment on whether there is a discernable difference in the manner in which the cars perform, i.e., accelerate.

I suppose my main question is whether its worth paying for a new 550, vs a preowned 545....

I tried to search for a similar post topic but did not see one. Forgive me if this has been discussed/debated previously.

Thanks, in advance....

- Pete

PS - here is my present ride.....
Hi Pete:

Welcome.

How important is, maybe, .2 to .3 secs. to you to 60 and in the 1/4? You might feel this difference a little. If you don't care, then get the 545i. Check both of the "Mind Candy" links in my sig. Happy shopping.

P.S. I'll come back for the debate later. ~0{;^)
Old 11-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Welcome aboard.

Well, since you are from Kentucky - where horses matter most - get the 550!

As donv said, you probably won't notice much of a difference in power between the two. So it's more about getting a car with the colors you like and the options you want. If you can find a used 545 the way you like it, great.

Reliability may be a consideration, however. Model year 2004 for the E60 was typical for a first-year run: there were some issues, but nothing fatal. MY 2005 was much improved, and one would expect to see 2006 even better. I'm just speculating, but any used 2004 or 2005 you might find on a dealer's lot right now may be one which had more problems. So shop carefully.

I'd say just go ahead and order yourself a new 550 exactly the way you want it.

Good luck and let us know which way you go.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='196290' date='Nov 10 2005, 02:52 PM
I'd say just go ahead and order yourself a new 550 exactly the way you want it.
Ditto
Old 11-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

And unless you are planning to buy a used 545 becasue there are NO 545s left in the dealers. The only thing you can get, specially with the combo you want is a 550. I had an early version of the 530 and gave me quite a few headches. finally changed it for a 550 and have not had any issue what so ever. and the power is incredible..
Old 11-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

While not a direct response to your 550 question several of my 6er compatriots have "upgraded" from 645 to 650. All say more low end toque and better pulling in each of the gears (most in Step, but one SMG now as well - manuals coming soon) and quicker to all speeds. This is all seat of the pants mind you. I do believe the numbers are as stated 0.2 - 0.3 seconds quicker by BMWs measure. No magazines have done either x50 model that I know of in a full test.

Only u can measure the merits of exact configuration u want versus possibly a "close" proximity in your car and how much the extra HP/Torque are worth. Plus throw in the more mature platform (electronics/Idrive) as already stated by other members as well. Plus some new options (comfort access for one) may also be worth while - or not - again - you have to judge that. I would not worry about what appears as a NEW engine as it is pretty well tested in the 7,6, and 5 series now and based on proven technology in the X5 4.8L and previous 4.4L engines.

You cannot go wrong in either case as long as u are not getting someone elses bad cast off in the case of the 545.

Good luck - we'll be awaiting your decision with great anticipation
Old 11-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

I would suggest you carefully inspect a use bmw car if you decide to buy the pre-ow 545. As there have been a few errors with a 2004 545 as previouly reported,be VERY carefull buying a used one. Dont want to regret after buying a used car as i have heard many stories of which people complain about the used bmw car they bought.Hope it helps!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Members

Welcome Pete. Great looking property there (I assume it is yours).

Anyway, I too am in the market for an E60, but I had the luxury to test drive both just recently. The 545 my dealer had on the lot was a demo so I drove that one first, then they called me back when the first 550 came in. I can honestly say the 550 felt a little quicker. You take that plus a few added features on the 06 and the 06 550 is clearly the winner to me.

Good luck on your decision, hope I helped.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For daily driving, 550 would give you more torque which translates into fun factor. Feeling more punch is fun for day to day driving.
If you want to lease, go for 545i which you can get good discount and lease rate if you find any around. Otherwise, do ED for 550i.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Pete,

Good debate question. Since everybody is giving (or will give) thier two cents worth, here is mine from a current 545i owner.

I have had minimal problems with my 545i (end of 04 production). The engine is smooth, torque is good. If you buy a 545i from a lot, I would check it carefully. First of all if it is a lease return it is questionable on how some people take care of thier lease cars. From this forum, I would say most treat with respect and adhere to the break-in procedures.

A certified pre-owned will give you up to 100k mile warranty which is really valuable.

I, however like to have the fastest car I can afford. Would like an M5 but not in my budget. I am bummed that they came out with the 550 as now mine is not the fastest non M5 (although 95% of my driving is on the freeway). If I was in your shoes, I too would have waited.

I have heard the 4.8l has slightly more pronounce engine harmonics. However, unless you are really intune with your car, you would never notice. It is still very smooth.

I think the decision is simple. You have to ask yourself what is more important - dollars or and extra .1 - .2 seconds to 60mph. You can probably save about $15k - $20k by picking up a used 545i and be completely happy. And, if you plan on trading in 3-4 years, your loss will be less. If having the extra hp / newest is going to bother you, go for the 550.

Good luck with the decision and NICE property.

Quick Reply: Comparison of the 550i vs. 545i