E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Compared styling of our E60 with E90 3 series

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to dealer yesterday, and while there saw the new E90 (3 Series). It looks like the detractors got their way. The aggressive look that Bangle captured in the original 7 Series (Fantastic looking car IMHO) and our distinctive and again, IMHO, extremely attractive and trend setting looking 5 Series, has been abandoned. The new face-lifted 7 Series was also there, and again the detractors got their way. The car has lost a lot of its' aggressive masculine look. I guess they feel the change will make it more appealing to the masses. I sure hope they don't do the same in a year or two if they decide to tone down the E60. The 3 Series no longer stands out from the crowd. It has taken on a "me too look" with the rest of the cars from the US and Japan. BMW, with the original 7 and our E60, really made a statement. They set the pace of how cars should look in the future. Bangle was way ahead of every one else in the car business and instead of gaining the respect and acceptance he deserved, got nothing but criticism. I predict that in two years or so, people will proclaim the look of the current E60 as one of the most attractive designs in automobiles.As more and more are put on the road, the car will get even more acceptance than it has to this point. I know a number of people that did not find it appealing when it was just released, that now find it very attractive. Come on BMW, Bangle was right on with what he was doing. Don't give up on his work now. TIME WILL PROVE HIM RIGHT!
Netjazz
Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='May 1 2005, 05:34 AM
Went to dealer yesterday, and while there saw the new E90 (3 Series). It looks like the detractors got their way. The aggressive look that Bangle captured in the original 7 Series (Fantastic looking car IMHO) and our distinctive and again, IMHO, extremely attractive and trend setting looking 5 Series, has been abandoned. The new face-lifted 7 Series was also there, and again the detractors got their way. The car has lost a lot of its' aggressive masculine look.? I guess they feel the change will make it more appealing to the masses. I sure hope they don't do the same in a year or two if they decide to tone down the E60. The 3 Series no longer stands out from the crowd. It has taken on a "me too look" with the rest of the cars from the US and Japan. BMW, with the original 7 and our E60, really made a statement. They set the pace of how cars should look in the future. Bangle was way ahead of every one else in the car business and instead of gaining the respect and acceptance he deserved, got nothing but criticism. I predict that in two years or so, people will proclaim the look of the current E60 as one of the most attractive designs in automobiles.As more and more are put on the road, the car will get even more acceptance than it has to this point. I know a number of people that did not find it appealing when it was just released, that now find it very attractive. Come on BMW, Bangle was right on with what he was doing. Don't give up on his work now. TIME WILL PROVE HIM RIGHT!
Netjazz
[snapback]122482[/snapback]
I pulled up side views of the 3 Series and the e60 from the BMWUSA website today and put them side by side on the screen. While I agree that the design has been dialed back a little, I though the family resemblance was very strong. The line of the roof continues down to the back bumper like the e60, but it doesn't have the strong line in the metal that the e60 has. Similarly the headlights are less pronounced in the side view. But even so, a lot of the design elements are very similar. I generally like it.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Members

The tail lights are also very indistinctive. I think if you see it in the metal, you might feel differently The design also makes the car appear smaller than the previous years car, even though it is really about two inches longer.Again it is not bad looking, but doesn't have that Bangle flair that the 5 and the 7 had IMHO.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='May 2 2005, 08:15 AM
The tail lights are also very indistinctive. I think if you see it in the metal, you might feel differently The design also makes the car appear smaller than the previous years car, even though it is really about two inches longer.Again it is not bad looking, but doesn't have that Bangle flair that the 5 and the 7 had IMHO.
[snapback]122864[/snapback]

I think the new 3 looks like a Mitsubishi Lancer from the front.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Members

It is too bad about the new 7 being toned down so much. Oh well, back to the 40-50 something ultra conservative but successful look (maybe that is the demographic they want). The look of the e60 and the 7 do take some time to get used to, but the uniqueness and flair are hard to ignore. My e60 gets better looking by the day, even my early detractor friends and neighbors have come around. The new 3 has a great profile, but the front and rear are very un-inspiring IMO.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JG996' date='May 2 2005, 09:22 AM
The new 3 has a great profile, but the front and rear are very un-inspiring IMO.
[snapback]122909[/snapback]
Uninspiring?? You've got to be kidding. This car is seriously aggressive in your rear view mirror...

Old 05-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='May 2 2005, 12:27 PM
[quote name='JG996' date='May 2 2005, 09:22 AM'] The new 3 has a great profile, but the front and rear are very un-inspiring IMO.
[snapback]122909[/snapback]
Uninspiring?? You've got to be kidding. This car is seriously aggressive in your rear view mirror...

[/quote]

Completely agree. I LOVE the look from the front. Very aggressive ... especially with the angel eyes. Almost gives me goosebumps looking at it. The crease running down the side also adds to the perception that the car is "moving somewhere." I think it's a great design. Lukewarm about the back, of course, but it's tough to call the overall look uninspiring.