E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coming soon to the DIY: Westfalia towbar install

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Just a little teaser until I finish the towbar install:
Old 04-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Oh, you the man!! I have been searching for this. Where did you buy the kit? how much?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Oh man, I cant wait to see this DIY. Hmm how much can we tow with this?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530d

Hey, good luck with the install. I had my dealer install mine a couple of years ago. The hardware's quite easy but the software caused major issues. IDrive kept rebooting every few minutes. Took 2 days extra for them to sort that...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sleeper50
Oh, you the man!! I have been searching for this. Where did you buy the kit? how much?
Bought it from PFJones. Took three days to get from the UK to Portland, OR. Total cost of $463 ($182 was shipping). There was a lot of stuff included with the kit: trailer wiring plug, plug mount, tow ball, gloves, tow ball bag, light relay controller, lock with two keys...

Originally Posted by e60oholic
Oh man, I cant wait to see this DIY. Hmm how much can we tow with this?
90kg/~200 lbs tongue and 2100 kg/~4600lbs. Although, I bet that it would be safer to have brakes on a heavy load.

Originally Posted by Leong
Hey, good luck with the install. I had my dealer install mine a couple of years ago. The hardware's quite easy but the software caused major issues. IDrive kept rebooting every few minutes. Took 2 days extra for them to sort that...
There's no coding for this install. At worst, the PDC will think there is something there. If that is the case I will whip up a micro controller that send a message on the CAN BUS to disable PDC when the trailer is in tow.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

interesting

what will you be towing with your e60?

sounds like an good topic for a new thread

i would also avoid towing anywhere near the tow rating on that hitch without a trans cooler at a minimum (if they are even made as an aftermarket part)

i never looked that deep in the manual for towing considerations

I will never tow anything with mine (have a tow vehicle), but interesting use for the e60

Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by -Mike-
what will you be towing with your e60?
i would also avoid towing anywhere near the tow rating on that hitch without a trans cooler at a minimum (if they are even made as an aftermarket part)
I will never tow anything with mine (have a tow vehicle), but interesting use for the e60
I'll be towing a pop-up camper and maybe a small trailer. It's not going to be a junk hauler.
There is already a transmission cooler in the 550. At least, realoem leads me to believe it does.

The problem with making a new thread is that most people will say exactly that: I will never tow anything with mine ... have a tow vehicle. I like the idea that if I need to, I can tow something with the e60.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530d

There's no coding for this install. At worst, the PDC will think there is something there. If that is the case I will whip up a micro controller that send a message on the CAN BUS to disable PDC when the trailer is in tow.
[/quote]

Mine came with the wiring harness for the trailer lights. If there is a fault in the trailer lights as ther often is with rental trailers then a warning comes up on the dash. Also turns off the Rear PDC when the trailer is hooked up and also disables the rear fog lights. Also enables trailer stability control if you have that. I love how there's a spot for the tow hitch in the trunk and how tidy the car looks with the hitch removed.

I tow a trailer with two motorcycles to the track.

Best of luck with the install
Old 04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Will this work with M-tech bodykit? Please keep us posted. I'm very interested, not for towing but for a bike rack.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by or_550i
I'll be towing a pop-up camper and maybe a small trailer. It's not going to be a junk hauler.
There is already a transmission cooler in the 550. At least, realoem leads me to believe it does.

The problem with making a new thread is that most people will say exactly that: I will never tow anything with mine ... have a tow vehicle. I like the idea that if I need to, I can tow something with the e60.

very cool...i'm sure the 550 will have no problem with that load

if i may suggest...

if you are towing a long distance... say, over 100 miles

i would suggest using the steptronic (assuming you have it) to shift rather than let it go into and out of overdrive (6th gear) constantly

even with a trans cooler, the car will be working to keep up and avoiding the constant gear shifts (due to slight hills and decents on the hw) will save some wear on your trans

I would stay away from 6th gear alltogether..

Quick Reply: Coming soon to the DIY: Westfalia towbar install