E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfort seats are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 05:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had my 545i one day and I'm already glad I ended up getting comfort seats... AND LEG ROOM OHMYGODIHAVELEGROOMTHEREISAHEAVEN. The upper back thing is key.

Anyway, yes, I think they're worth it. I probably would have paid for ventilation, too, had that been an option. But then... I'm in the middle of an Atlanta summer.

Peace.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:01 AM
Members

I have a 75 mile daily round trip commute and spend at least two hours in my car per day. I test drove the E60 three times all with sport seats and was not impressed with the level of comfort. Far to rigid for my tastes. I ordered the comfort seats ($1200 here in the US) without sitting in them but was assured by many at the dealership that I'd be pleased. I have found the comfort seats to be far better then the sports seats and worth the additional cost. The additional position adjustments are great but the increased "plushness" is the big differentiator for me.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Members

Oh man, THE VENTILATED SEATS RULE, i always put em on as soon as i get out of the gym and it feels so good to have them in this summer! Also on long trips, its so nice to have them since you dont feel the need to move at all. The massage thing is not really a massage thing, its just like after ever 30 seconds you feel the air flowing down your back from top to bottom, so it tickles a bit.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The massage function (translated - found on www.BMW.de):

It's called "active seats".

The active seat for driver and front seat passenger, sketched according to medical studies, provides even on longer distances a relaxed sitting and driving. The pelvis and the loins spine are mobilized thereby by mutual lifting and lowering of the seat surface in cyclic intervals. The appropriate musculature will become mobilized and spannings or fatigue symptoms during long travels are avoided.

I have it in my car and it's truly amazing.
When I was driving to Berlin and last weekend down to Munich I used them. After I arrived I had no trouble at all getting out of the car, didn't felt any stiffness or sore (and I really have some serious back problems, so I usually get a sored back after just about one hour or even less!!!). They work perfectly - way better than I expected !!!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Members

OK so for MY2005 you can get comfort seats with the sport pkg. at an additional cost of $1200 then you can add the priority one option of Ventilated seats which I am assuming is yet another additional cost but we just don't know the price of it yet, or do we?

But we can't get the active feature on the 525 here in the US is that correct?

Peace
Old 07-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rix Mix' date='Jul 13 2004, 09:41 PM
But we can't get the active feature on the 525 here in the US is that correct?
I'm affraid you're correct.
Active seats (massage function) is not available in the US yet, and nobody knows if it will become an option as well as the ventilated seats.
Doesn't make sense to not add it to the options list, since you are having longer rides in the US than we have in Europe.
And yes, the ventilation will cost extra...
Old 07-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by MaTRiX' date='Jul 13 2004, 12:56 PM
Oh man, THE VENTILATED SEATS RULE, i always put em on as soon as i get out of the gym and it feels so good to have them in this summer! Also on long trips, its so nice to have them since you dont feel the need to move at all. The massage thing is not really a massage thing, its just like after ever 30 seconds you feel the air flowing down your back from top to bottom, so it tickles a bit.
My experiences using ventilated seats on a Mercedes is that they work extremely well in the summer but also in the winter!

Huh? You say?

I've found great success in the winter using both the seat heater and the ventilator simultaneously. Maybe it's just me but I tend to like the cozyness of the seat heaters but if I don't use the ventilator with them, I end up getting too hot. With both running, I'm able to maintain a higher comfort level in the winter.

For those of you lucky enough to have them in your E60, don't forget to use those ventilators year 'round!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 13 2004, 09:51 PM
My experiences using ventilated seats on a Mercedes is that they work extremely well in the summer but also in the winter!

Huh?? You say?

I've found great success in the winter using both the seat heater and the ventilator simultaneously.? Maybe it's just me but I tend to like the cozyness of the seat heaters but if I don't use the ventilator with them, I end up getting too hot.? With both running, I'm able to maintain a higher comfort level in the winter.

For those of you lucky enough to have them in your E60, don't forget to use those ventilators year 'round!
Rudy, you're sooooo right !
I use the ventilation very often and I also use ventilation and heater together.
It's really great !
NO, it's not just you...
Old 07-13-2004, 12:34 PM
sj3
Senior Members

At least in '04, both ventilated and active seats required the Nasca leather, which hasn't been available in the US. I have no idea why but that's why we couldn't get that option. It may have required on additional cow per car, which may have made the cow lobby mad or something.

Sam
Old 07-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Jul 13 2004, 10:34 PM
It may have required on additional cow per car, which may have made the cow lobby mad or something.

That's a good one !

Quick Reply: Comfort seats are they worth it?