E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfort Access Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

So, I picked up my new to me '10 E60 (535XI) yesterday. I'll have to post up some pictures soon.

I have a comfort access question. I spent some time googling the interweb but I haven't come up with a definitive answer.

My vehicle has comfort access and had one key. The seller (independent/nonBMW dealer) agreed to provide a second key and have it programmed. I told him to get a third key and I'd pay for the key as the programming was basically free (he the keys programmed to the car since he was getting me a new one).

So now I have two brand new CA fobs and the one that came with the car. I noticed last night that all three fobs work BUT the original fob works as a regular remote not a CA remote (you have to use the fob to lock/unlock and the fob needs to be in the dash to start.

Just to be sure it wasn't a weak battery I replaced the CR2032 battery in the old fob (not a battery issue).

so my question is this. In a vehicle with comfort access how many fobs can be programmed to the vehicle with the CA functionality. If this was a programming oversight I know the independent dealer will get it corrected. If you can only have two fobs with CA working at any given time then I'm fine with it.

I'm asking here because I'm finding the BMW service/parts folks in my area seem to be not very knowledgeable on things like comfort access programming, navi updates etc (which I find a bit surprising since this is their business).

Thanks for any info!!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Good luck with your question. Since our cars only come with two fobs it may take a while for someone with three fobs + CA to chime in.
Out of curiousity, did the original fob CA work before the two new ones were added? Since the CA also controls seat position, wheel position and some iDrive settings, radio, etc, its possible only two selections are available.
You can however disable the "last seat position" in iDrive to see if that might change anything. But note that if different drivers need different seat settings they will be unavailable if they use the fob alone.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Good luck with your question. Since our cars only come with two fobs it may take a while for someone with three fobs + CA to chime in.
Out of curiousity, did the original fob CA work before the two new ones were added? Since the CA also controls seat position, wheel position and some iDrive settings, radio, etc, its possible only two selections are available.
You can however disable the "last seat position" in iDrive to see if that might change anything. But note that if different drivers need different seat settings they will be unavailable if they use the fob alone.
I honestly don't know if the CA was working/programmed with the original fob because I never thought to try it out.

I'm more curious than anything else and if it is possible to get it programmed for CA on all three fobs I would like to get it done.

I only bought the third fob because I basically got the programming part free. I'll see what I can find. I'm new to BMW and I'm rather surprised how little the local dealer parts and service advisors seem to know. I called 4 places and asked very nicely. It sounded like they thought I had three heads because I have 3 fobs. Who knows. If I was in that business and didn't know I'd say let me check that out and I'll call you back. Instead they transfer you around back and forth between parts and service and nobody knows anything definitive.

If I do figure it out I will post back.

Oh yes before someone asks... All three fobs are CA (they have removable batteries)

Thanks folks.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ssmokn
I honestly don't know if the CA was working/programmed with the original fob because I never thought to try it out.

I'm more curious than anything else and if it is possible to get it programmed for CA on all three fobs I would like to get it done.

I only bought the third fob because I basically got the programming part free. I'll see what I can find. I'm new to BMW and I'm rather surprised how little the local dealer parts and service advisors seem to know. I called 4 places and asked very nicely. It sounded like they thought I had three heads because I have 3 fobs. Who knows. If I was in that business and didn't know I'd say let me check that out and I'll call you back. Instead they transfer you around back and forth between parts and service and nobody knows anything definitive.

If I do figure it out I will post back.

Oh yes before someone asks... All three fobs are CA (they have removable batteries)

Thanks folks.
I was told by my dealer that it is 5. I have 2 fobs, and only one worked for CA. The dealer took the second one to "activate" it, and told me he found that numbers 1, 3, 4 were set for CA, and that #2 was not. They activated # 2 for me. While I don't fully trust the SA, he told me 5.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 AM
Members

I said I would report back once I got some info. I contacted six different dealers and sadly none of the advisors I spoke with had a clue nor the brains to say "gee, let me get you an answer and get back to you". Amazing how these dealerships are run -- this isn't brain surgery!!!

I asked the independent that I purchased the car from and he knew definitively and immediately (why I just didn't ask him first I don't know).

You can have more than 2 CA fobs BUT only two may be programmed for CA at any given time. Any remaining CA fobs will work just like a standard fob.

So there you have it.