E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfort Access Beware

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

I have comfort access also. I use it everyday. I have one question about CA. How far will the car go without the key in the ignition? Will it stall?...and no I am not going to test it.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BMW4Ever' post='1062141' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:20 PM
I have comfort access also. I use it everyday. I have one question about CA. How far will the car go without the key in the ignition? Will it stall?...and no I am not going to test it.
It will go until it runs out of gas. Once it's turned off via the start/stop button, it won't restart without the key...
Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1062147' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:29 PM
It will go until it runs out of gas. Once it's turned off via the start/stop button, it won't restart without the key...
Sorry let me rephrase my question: How far will the car go without the key in the ignition and without the key in the car (i.e. no key anywhere near the car)? Will it still drive until the gas runs out?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BMW4Ever' post='1062172' date='Nov 25 2009, 12:05 AM
Sorry let me rephrase my question: How far will the car go without the key in the ignition and without the key in the car (i.e. no key anywhere near the car)? Will it still drive until the gas runs out?
Yes...unless spike strips are involved...then, all bets are off!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

In my opinion, the OP simply found an untested scenario with CA. They probably never thought that someone with CA would take the keys out of their pocket and put them on the roof of the car. That goes clear back to the design of it where they placed the sensors and wrote the SW to make the decision "is the key in the car?".

In the computer SW industry, one learns that there is always someone that does something not expected by the programmers. One must program to handle as many possibilities as possible but you can never catch them all. When I write code, I just pretend that Murphy is looking over my shoulder, thinking "let me try this to break his code, haha".

Its as simple as that, a programming/design oversight, certainly not intentional false information.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1062192' date='Nov 25 2009, 12:43 AM
Yes...unless spike strips are involved...then, all bets are off!
+1, you can go forever just dont ever shut the car off.. lol.. then your screwed
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Things I learned about comfort access:

1-I can touch lock/unlock the doors while someone else who is standing further away from both myself and the car (and not in contact with either) had the key fob

2-The car can be locked with the key inside and no other key present (happened to my wife)

3-I was able to lock/unlock the doors while spraying water on the sensors with the key fob in my pocket (I was about 5 feet from the car when this happened)

I won't go so far to say that CA is bad, but I don't agree with never having to take the key out of your pocket either. Sometimes I wear shorts that have no pockets, sometimes my wife wears skirts. IMO the CA feature could be perfected.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Casper' post='1062028' date='Nov 24 2009, 07:38 PM
I was under the impression that my car, equipped with Comfort Access, could only start if the key was inside the car. Under that assumption, if my car started I knew the key was inside the cabin, but yesterday I found out that is not true, the car will start with the key outside the cabin.

So beware, this is dangerous. What happened to me was that I drove from point A to point B (45 minute drive), when I parked at point B, I turned off my engine and as usual, looked for my cell phone, wallet and key to take with me upon walking away from car. I could not find the key in the usual place , I tried to start the engine and it would not start. I kept thinking that the key had to be inside the cabin or the car would not have started at point A, so the key had to be inside the car, so I searched all my pockets, glove compartment, under the seats, inside trunk, but could not find the key. What a mistery, how could the car have started if the key was not inside the cabin? After searching for over 30 minutes and realizing the key was not inside the cabin, I did a careful retrace of all my steps, I realized that right before I got into the car at point A, I placed the key on the roof of the car, and I must have forgotten and stepped in the car, and started the engine. The key must have fallen from the roof while driving, but how could the car start with the key outside the cabin, and run for 45 minutes with the key nowhere near the car?

Well, I had to take a cab to my house to retrieve the second key and come back to pick up my car later. I now need to order a replacement key and is $325 from my local dealer.

So, my next car will not have comfort access, it is more of a nuissance , very inconvenient and annoying to go trough this. A car should only start if the key is inside the car, and should not run if the key is outside.

So beware, you can validate what I am saying, open the inside cover of your sunroof, place the key on toip of your sunroof with bmw logo facing down and car will start.

My E60 manual, page 42 , under Comfort Access, Starting Engine, clearly states that you can start the engine if a remote control is located inside the vehicle, this is clearly a lie or my vehicle is defective.
Not true with mine. Yes, the engine will run even if the key is outside the cabin but as soon as you engage the transmission to drive or 1st gear, the engine dies. You need to have that looked at.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 AM
Contributors

The only "negative(s)" I've experienced with my e60's CA are:

1. Without a leather cover it is possible, without intending, to unlock, lock, or activate other features (like open windows & moonroof ) if the CA fob is in your pocket! (Ask how I found this out in my early days of ownership on a rainy night!!)
2. When washing car with fob in pocket the locks cycle on and off
3. Forget that I have to use a key fob and push key / fob buttons when I take my other (non-CA) cars!

1.a Cured by purchasing leather fob covers!
2.a. Cured - leave CA fob in the house
3.a. No Cure Schedule CA / Non-CA retraining weekly
Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

When washing the car, you're supposed to put the fob in the slot on the steering column. This will prevent the car from locking and unlocking with the water stream. (This information is actually in the manual...)

Quick Reply: Comfort Access Beware