E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Which color

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is your oppinion to the e60 in Titan Grey metallic?
Old 11-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you mean Titanium Gray...there is no Titan Gray available in the US.

Color is such a personal thing. IMO, the Titanium Gray is too dark...but much better than Titanium Silver on the E60.

I have owned two BMWs in the lightest shade of silver and liked their look very much...I currently have an E39 540 in Arctic Silver. My feeling is that the E60 does not look its best in the lighter shades: Titanium Silver or White. IMHO the lines of the car just don't show up in those lighter colors. Perhaps this is shy BMW offers only two lighter shades.

You may want to consider Silver Gray...
Old 11-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I think the Titanium Gray looks a little green. I originally liked this color from the pictures, but when I saw it in person in the sunlight, the hint of green is pretty strong, and it doesn't really peak my interest anymore.

The titanium silver does not look as good on the E60 as it does on other models. Saw it in person, did nothing for me.

However, I like White. I have seen it in person, night time under lights and in the sunlight. Something about white that I really like, but I also like the Sapphire Black, so as ZeZe said, it is a personal taste...whatever you like.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:46 PM
Members

I have had a chance to look at many of the colors:
Titanium Gray was my favorite from photos, but in person it is too dark.
I agree that Titanium Silver is too light, and the lines are lost.
Silver Gray is a great color -- just right in the gray/silver tones.
I thought I was going to get Silver Gray until I saw an E60 in Olivin Green. Oh my god, what a gorgeous color -- this is the one I am going to order. Do yourself a favor and look at this before you decide.
Also saw Amethyst Gray Metallic: kind of a strange pinky brown.
What do others think?
Old 11-22-2003, 02:56 AM
Contributors

Before I get started on E60 colors let me say that I have always liked light silver colors (like Titanium Silver) and white. In fact, my current BMW's are Alpine White and Titanium Silver. I also tend to have strong dislike towards dark colors, especially on cars that have detailed lines or modern bodies (I feel that dark colors hide all the design elements and make it look less modern/more dated). This is why I have always liked light colors on BMW's.

However, it is a little different with the E60. I think with the E60 both the lightest and the darkest colors hide the lines and the bodywork. Medium shades seem to be best:

--I don't think that the E60 looks good in Titanium Silver or even white (part of this is because I'm tired of those two colors, but that's not the sole reason).

--I also don't like it in the two blacks (although Sapphire looks better than Jet). I think the blacks (especially Jet) makes the car look old or dated.

--I don't like the Mystic Blue color itself, so I have not even paid attention as far as what it does to the lines and bodywork.

--To my surprise, the Orient Blue looked decent. I would still not buy it for myself, but if someone wants a darker color I think it's better than Jet Black.

--Initially I loved the Silver Gray, both in BMW's publicitiy pictures even before the car was released, and also when I saw it in person in May in Europe (pre-production cars). I still like it a lot but I'm not as impressed with it as I initially was. Maybe I've seen too many of them and I'd rather have a color that is more rare for a change.

--After seeing the Titanium Gray in pictures and in person I like it very much even though it's a darker color. I think it makes the car look elegant but still sporty. If I decide that I want a darker color this would be the one for me. Although it does have some green in it which is more noticeable in certain lighting conditions.

--Amethyst Gray in anything BUT Gray. I did not like the pictures that I saw of the Amethyst because it looked like a purplish Gray. Then I saw it in person and was very surprised because it looks Brown, not Gray. I took some pictures and posted them here and in some of my pictures it looks like Plum Brown (not good). I will not buy it, but in it's defense the purple or plum is not noticable in person in most lighting conditions, but somehow it shows up in pictures.

--Now we get to my current favorite color which is the Olivin Green. I had seen a couple of pictures of it taken from a distance or with a lot of dirt on the car, so I did not have a true idea what it would look like. Since the E60's started arriving at the dealerships I kept making my rounds to about 6 or 7 dealers in the Los Angeles area hoping to see all the colors the E60 was available in. Every week they would get a new color that they did not have before, but still no Olivin Green. Finally about two weeks ago I found a 525i in Olivin Green and it looked really good. I took a lot of pictures and posted them on this forum. In certain lighting conditions you hardly see any green at all (it looks beige), but then other lighting conditions make the green come out. Of coarse you have to see it in person just like anything else. If I were to order my car now Olivin would be the color, but I still have 9 or 10 months before placing an order, so who knows. One additional thing that I like about Olivin is that I think it will be much more rare than any of the other colors (less of them on the streets).

Just my (long) opinion...

rodybmw
Old 11-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rodybmw,

I must admit... When I saw your photos of the Olivin Green 525, I felt I owed it to myself to see that color in person. In your photos, Olivin Green doesn't look green or gold at all...more of a shade of gray.

I made a couple of weekend visits to a local dealer before I found a new E53 in Olivin Green. It was a sunny day and the green and gold tones were quite noticeable...not to my liking. Now, the shade they use on the E53 may be different than that on the E60, but it's all I have for reference.

You may want to check out that color on a sunny day before you make a final decision.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ZeZe' date='Nov 22 2003, 09:09 AM
You may want to check out that color on a sunny day before you make a final decision.
I also saw the Olivin on the E53 a couple of weeks before I found the E60. Although the Olivin color looks somewhat different on these two cars I made sure that they were the same by checking the paint code-they were both 349/6. I know for a fact that the same color can look different on one car than another just because of the shape, curves, and lines of the car. However, I liked the Olivin on both the E53 and the E60. But I have seen it on the E53 on a sunny day and the E60 on a somewhat cloudy day. I will definately listen to your advice and try to see it on the E60 on a sunny day (if I can find another one around). I should be able to since I still have 9 months left before I place an order. I will check and see if the dealer that I took those pictures at still has that car.

rodybmw
Old 11-23-2003, 04:11 AM
Dave UK

Hi
Colour is the biggest problem!!

I am picking up my new car oin Thursday - Orient Blue.

The dealership has become incredibly bored with my indecision. Finally I went for a darker colour as it has more presence on the road, the lighter colours are a little insipid. When the car is not moving probably the T. Grey!!

Happy Hunting
Old 11-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Tim530

I guess that is why they offer more than one color - since we all have different opinions of what looks good.

It took me a while to find and buy my 530 because I wanted black. Every dealer had a ton of Titanium and Grey, some blues, but no black. I think one had a 525 black they used as a demo. At first I wanted Sapphire Black but when I tracked one down I didn't like it because it always looked dirty. That metallic dust just looked like lint or dirt specs. I ended up going with the Jet Black with Black interior and the Amethyst dark wood inside.

I have to say that with my windows tinted and that jet black the car looks sharp. The lines work perfectly - much better than the light colors. Not to mention that there are far fewer black cars out there. I have no problem with the car turning heads.

I also read some forum posts about people upset with the black inserts in the bumper instead of the read reflectors of previous years. I can't Imagine? The black inserts work great with the black paint. Who wants these ugly red things in the middle of their bumper.

my .02
Old 11-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Contributors

Amethyst dark wood !
I never heard of this. What country isit available in?
Any pictures anywhere?

Quick Reply: Which color